Taxing your motor.

Les Henson

Means when you get it scanned by the eye in the sky cameras, they can tell if that disk belongs to your motor or if you are swapping the same disk between vehicles

The cameras are good but not that good... they do not read your tax disc- they read and identify the vehicles registration mark (number plate). The system is called ANPR = Automatic Number Plate Recognition. Once read the mark is checked the database to see if you have VEL, Insurance, MOT any other markers for the registration mark being displayed etc- not a lot of help if the vehicle is on a false plate...

As has been said you have needed to present a valid MOT and insurance plus the renewal form at Post Offices for some time to get a new tax disc. The problem with the online system arrises due to there being a delay between getting an MOT or insurance and it then taking time for the system to be updated- anything up to a month- sometimes even longer... I think there are still a couple of insurance companies that are still very slow to pass the details to the system so they take even longer to update...

The latest ANPR camera's are very good ............. would you like me to tell you how they work :ph34r: ............... it was easy to confuse the earlier models B) ;)

I guess it would be true to say that many of the issues are down to the camera setup, the database connection and connection speed, and the accuracy of said databases.............but the electronics work fine ;)

:)

Ian

I got the tax reminder thingy through the post and armed with a large wad of money, went round the Post Office to get the disc. The guy said that I still need to bring a current MOT certificate and Insurance Certificate - even though I had the reminder through the post from the DVLA. I'm pretty sure that last year I only needed the reminder to get the disc, but I had th schlepp back home anyway or get an £80 fine from a robot. Anybody know the definitive answer to this?

Les.

Not quiet on subject but I`ve lived in Spain for the last 4 years and lost touch with many things in the UK, but I do watch Sky tv ,I recently seen the advert (threat) to tax your car or we will crush it!!, the one where a young couple return to their Audi to see it being crushed, It must make foreigners wonder what type of country(dictatorship) they are visiting when the state destroys your property if you are having financial difficulties!I doubt Hitler or Stalin went to this drastic a measure,

Rgds

Rotor

Does the 'failure to display' not apply in this instance?

One of my employees, a while back, was stopped for non display of a tax disc. The disc holder had lost its stickiness and it fell off on to the seat while he was driving. He offered to put it back on the screen but was still fined as it wasn't on display at the time the police officer saw him. There was no doubt or dispute that his van was taxed but that wasn't the point.

I always use the Post Office and take all my documents to make sure I have the disc in my hands before the month ends. I don't trust the DVLA or the Post Office to get it to me on time once they have my money.

Not quiet on subject but I`ve lived in Spain for the last 4 years and lost touch with many things in the UK, but I do watch Sky tv ,I recently seen the advert (threat) to tax your car or we will crush it!!, the one where a young couple return to their Audi to see it being crushed, It must make foreigners wonder what type of country(dictatorship) they are visiting when the state destroys your property if you are having financial difficulties!I doubt Hitler or Stalin went to this drastic a measure,

Rgds

Rotor

If you are not taxed, you are not insured. If you then have an accident that is your fault,the third party has no redress. Worse still if you kill someone. It is not just about revenue for the pillock in No.10 / 11.

If you are not taxed, you are not insured. If you then have an accident that is your fault,the third party has no redress.

I don't think that's quite true. As I understand it you'd not be able to claim for your un-taxed car but the third party could claim off your insurance as I don't believe the insurance company are able to wriggle out of the 3rd party/RTA cover so easily. That's just my understanding, but I'm no legal expert :unsure:

I don't believe the insurance company are able to wriggle out of the 3rd party/RTA cover so easily.

What Bish said was true in my understanding, much the same for modified vehicles for which you haven't declared them as, *YOU* are not insured, even third party.

If you hit someone the insurance company can legally wash it's hands of both claims, your fully comp claim and the third party's claim. You have a contract with your insurance company, and there are terms to adhere to, you break them, you are uninsured.

If you managed to kill someone while uninsured unless you are obscenely rich you could lose your house, and be forced into bankruptcy as YOU become liable for the losses.

Scary world, which is why all my mods are fully declared :blink:

You have a contract with your insurance company, and there are terms to adhere to, you break them, you are uninsured.

Without getting into the nitty gritty of the Road Traffic Act 1988 here is an example of were the insurance company is still liable for third party cover even when outside the terms of the contract....

As an endnote, here are some practical examples of the way the Act works in practice. We can evaluate your exact circumstances to help decide on your best option.

A husband borrows his wifes’ car to go shopping at the local supermarket, The husband is uninsured but his wife insurance covers her for social and domestic use. The wife’s insurers will have to satisfy a judgment per s 151(2)(B) Road Traffic Act 1988. We can pursue the wifes insurers on your behalf.

An identified uninsured thief drives a stolen vehicle insured in the name of Mr Smith to use for social and domestic use. Mr Smith’s insurers will have to still satisfy judgment as the act of thieving is considered as social and domestic use. Surprising but true.

That comes from this solicitors website.

Ok this isn't talking about modified vehicles, but it does show that use outside of the insurance agreement does not necessarily absolve the insurer of all third party liability. This is also seperate to the MIB fund which covers cases where the insurer isn't liable.

Guest diesel_jim

Crikey Les... this is the second mega thread you've started....

isn't it time you changed a gearbox or rebuilt a bulkhead with some nice pretty pictures? :lol::lol::lol:

the act of thieving is considered as social and domestic use. Surprising but true.

:o :o

I would consider stealing pretty antisocial myself. Just goes to prove the law is indeed a braying equine animal

Being an ex copper, I can clarify it is an offence to fail to display a tax disc, even if the vehicle is taxed and legal. However in a lot of cases as long as the records were correct on the national database we would let people go with a warning/reminder to sort it - but it was an extremley useful tool for getting people for more serious offences. We were always taught at police training school (police academy!!) that any traffic offences laws were our bread and butter as over 50% of people stopped for something would lead us to something much bigger. I pulled a lady in for a random stop check and gave her a producer to bring her documents to the station. It later transpired she had no insurance, dodgy tax, no MOT and to top it off had been driving without ever passing a test or having a licence for 30 years! Oh... and she had 2 aliases and had been to court before over it.

On that note...I am off to buy a tax disc as I realised on saturday the tax had expired last month. Ooooops!!