Brake pipe flaring

smo

I've got one of those cheap and nasty brake flarers - the ones you clamp the pipe in and then screw down manually, the problem im having is getting the "insert" to stay square in the end of the tube as despite being the correct size, there is clearly a difference between copper and cunifer walls, hence the internal bore is different.

Does anyone have any ideas/hints/tips and tricks on how to do this properly keeping it square?

Ive got a cheapo valley tools flanger, the problem I had was if the 2 halves of the flanger wernt square to each other I would get a step in the flange face. I always clamp the flanger in a vice by the dog leg on the longer former(assuming yours is similar) Worth putting a drip of 3in1 oil on the dies also. Do you ut the pipe with a hacksaw or a mini tube cutter? Tube cutter leaves a nice cut which I deburr with an 8mm drill just to take the edges off. Once a messed up a few flanges, it now performs quite well for such a cheap item. £5 from Trago mills if you know where that is. Ive redone me 90 several times for different reasons using the flanger & have never had a leak yet.

Ps I always use copper tube. The size I forget

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I'm using a vice where possible to hold the clamping bit. I'm also using a pipe cutter as its neater than the hacksaw. The problem ive got is keeping the die former square, it just flops about in the end of the pipe - a real pain in the backside leaving lop sided flares.

how about chuck it away!! ull be much better off. those things are only good enough(just) to be weighed in. if you really want to do them yourself splash out and buy a sykes pickavant unit. but i recon a trip to your local parts suplier would put you right for about 15quid,get him to flare them. i dont like to be defeatest but those things aint worth the time,the words cheep and nasty sum it up perfectly. :ph34r:

andy

how about chuck it away!! ull be much better off. those things are only good enough(just) to be weighed in. if you really want to do them yourself splash out and buy a sykes pickavant unit. but i recon a trip to your local parts suplier would put you right for about 15quid,get him to flare them. i dont like to be defeatest but those things aint worth the time,the words cheep and nasty sum it up perfectly. :ph34r:

andy

Yes - the one I got from Machine Mart is carp, there are some decent DIY ones on the market but the S.P. is the best.

Andy i completly agree but im so up against it with time and really cant justify a decent flaring tool for this one job - its not somthing i intend on doing more than once....ever!!!

Throw the Machine mart ones in the bin and the SP ones , and get yerself one of these puppies ,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRANKLIN-HAND-HELD-B...tem?refid=store

I have got the SP one but the franklin one is far far better , a bit pricey but a perfect flare every time even in situ .

Got to admit I do like Franklin stuff..... but at the price ....

Smo percivere with it & youll get it right

Got to admit I do like Franklin stuff..... but at the price ....

Smo percivere with it & youll get it right

Another vote for Franklin - expensive but works brilliantly - even in tight spaces under the car...

Expensive ones are great for professional use, but for occasional use on copper or kunifer I have never had a problem with the Machine Mart one.

Setting it all up & ensuring the pipe end is square is the key. As is using the right diameter die.

If you don't see yourself doing brake pipes often then take the advice above and get your local motor factor to flare the ends for you. In the past I have taken an old pipe to them and they have duplicated it for me. Wasn't expensive and you know you're getting a propper job too.

Expensive ones are great for professional use, but for occasional use on copper or kunifer I have never had a problem with the Machine Mart one.

Setting it all up & ensuring the pipe end is square is the key. As is using the right diameter die.

I've got it square, and the right die is easy, that are marked but its nothing like a good fit.

Looks like i'll call a motor factors today and see how much they want to fleece me for doing it!

Smo,

This is the kind of pipe flaring tool that I was trying to explain to you.

8029.jpg

I got the same one as you as I couldn't justify the expensive of the one above (>£100) as I was just doing 4 flares for a mates racer :)

BTW, the picture above is from www.frost.co.uk; they are a bit expensive but I am sure that you can find them elsewhere.

I've got a great big heavy Snap On one (second hand) which I mount in the vice and a Machine mart portable cheapo unit, and to be honest if you cut the pipe (copper or kunifer) square de-burr the end and use it properly it does a cracking job, especially if you're under the motor doing something.

I had one of the cheapo ones - and just could not get it to make a good quality flare. I had assumed it was my lack of skill so persevered - until the tool broke (a few dozen lousy flares later).

Then I bought a sykes pickavant one on eBay an like this one:

7a88_2.JPG

And it's been totally brilliant. Perfect flare every time and no need to use a vice.

The cheapo one ended up costing more in waste tube & time. The SP one wound up costing about £80 all in.

Stop banging you head against the wall and buy a tool that works!

Si