Howlin' Wolf Round 4

najw

Results now posted

HERE

An interesting weekend it has to be said...

P*ss*d it down all day Saturday setting out and all night as well!

Oh and there was a bit of wind to go with it.

Sunday... more wind though thankfully it stayed dry.

Some really confident driving on a wide variety of terrain. Quite different to last year.

Interesting results - draw conclusions as you will :rolleyes:

And huge thanks to the NCGL crowd who, as has been pointed out, missed prizegiving due to change of venue as they were still packing away. They should be very proud of their efforts as they were responsible for 75% of the punches.

Apart from the horrible conditions (who would of thought there was that much wind?!) it was a great weekend. Saw some excellent winching, great driving, and some insane driving! Got a lot of pictures to sift through, I'll let y'all know when they're uploaded!

Excellent day - very enjoyable and good punches too. The rear prop decided to part company with the vehicle on the special stage at 2 o'clock, so limped back and fitted a spare only to find we had ripped the the rear a-frame bracket off the axle! :(

Decided we had better retire hurt! At least the run back down the M6 and the M40 was better at that time of day.

Well a big thanks to everone involved for an enjoyable day. Really enjoyed the punches but picked the wrong SS but that was my choice and my mistake. We started slow and had a puncture but picked up speed later and went the whole day without futher problems. Hopfully that is the end of the gremlins and we are now looking forward to the rest of the season.

Many thanks to everyone for the efforts in setting up and running the event. Some cracking punches with technical winching. Did 3/4 of the day with absolutely no brakes and no hand brake so a few of the punches were verrrrrry interesting :o . It meant we had to miss 2 out due to safety concerns. We lost the front locker for 3 hours so that slowed us down a bit.

Superb drive by Chris and Simon, we were flying so to get 5 more punches is awesome. Roll on the Tay :rolleyes:

What an absolute freezer, friggin cold and windy, but great day, a big thank you to all concerned.

I think I take the trophy for the last vehicle to finish running without any breakages,

I'll tell you before slack lips Sales does.

As a dare I did the one in the water hole near the start by SS1 in a forward direction in the V8 and got myself soaked to just under the nipples and got even colder, but it never missed a beat thanks to Megasquirt.

So hopefully things can only get better, and not wetter.

Dirty diesel, is that you who had the oil of me? if so i didn't realise until later and it was a pleasure to meet you.

Boothy, now doing extensive practacing :P

Excellent weekend really good atmosphere with a lot more people than usual teaming up and helping each other out.

Awesome site, and thanks to Neil and the NCGL some of the punches were quite evil.

Many thanks to everyone who helped get us out of this little mess.

dj14.jpg

Dirty diesel, is that you who had the oil of me? if so i didn't realise until later and it was a pleasure to meet you.

It was, thanks again.

Great event again for us, despite the weather <_< It was lucky that it stayed dry for most of the day, i would have been a nighmare to drive on those rocks if they were really wet.

The Pond that Adrian's TD5 died in last year i can confirm was just as deep :rolleyes:

Look forward to seeing the photo's and youtube video's.

Thanks to the AWDC crew, NCGL, and other's who made this event posible.

Updated championship tables are now posted

HERE

Looking really tight at the top (when we take Mr Abel out of the equation) :P

And looks like RogueVogue is on target to beat Adrian Turner which was I believe the stated objective this year :lol: :lol:

Great pics Simon - look like you are aiming to keep me supplied with cover shots for the rest of the year...

Trouble is I've already picked one for the next mag :(

Neil, thanks to you and all your crew for another great event, even the weather cheered up (a bit!) There were some tough punches out there. Thanks for the break down of the cyber punches, all I need now is a map of where they were cos in the heat of battle I forgot to mark them on my muddy bit of paper, I mean map! :lol:

Photo's look good, nice to see people working hard for their points.

Great event again for us, despite the weather <_< It was lucky that it stayed dry for most of the day, i would have been a nighmare to drive on those rocks if they were really wet.

The Pond that Adrian's TD5 died in last year i can confirm was just as deep :rolleyes:

Look forward to seeing the photo's and youtube video's.

Thanks to the AWDC crew, NCGL, and other's who made this event posible.

totally agree, awesome event. we worked really well, really pushing it right from the start despite loosing a tire, boost hose, and lock ring. cant wait for the next one!

comiserations to mr turner, real shame, he's had some bad luck this year so far, shame about round 2 tho!!!

had a great weekend setting out on saturday in wind & rain was great fun honestly :unsure: then went to marshall SS1 only had a few takers think about 10 in all ?. where were all you others ???

swanny

tea no sugar.

One of my friends was marshalling at round 4 and called round today to see the results as he has no internet at home.

Well he was a bit p****d off to see that a competitor that he had seen and reported for deliberately running over the blue rope on a punch had only received a 50 point penalty.

he also said that he had been told that another competitor had been reported for the same and one had been reported for punching a punch from outside/over the blue rope.

I thought that if you deliberately drove over or tampered with the blue rope it was a instant disqualification.

50 points deducted off the score is no deterant its only half the points of the punch thats been cheated on.

There were 3 instances reported of people driving over or getting tangled up with the rope and all of these were penalised.

None were recorded as being deliberate which I would take to mean not following the marked course of the rope but blatantly driving over it from a completely different angle - in my opinion this would be grounds for disqualification,.

On the third incident you mention, the competitor was disallowed the punch concerned.

If you think the penalty for accidentally getting hooked up or tangled with the rope should be more severe I would be happy to discuss it, but I think on some sites and with poor weather conditions there would be an awful lot more penalties being applied.

What frustrates me more (and I saw on Sunday) was people who inadvertently damage the rope or stakes then drive off and leave it on the ground. To me that is leaving it wide open for the next driver to have a much easier time on the punch than they had :angry:

I spent a lot of time repairing damaged blue rope and did report at least one infringement, but the competitor concerned apealed and we upheld the appeal. I never saw any deliberate driving over rope but there was a lot of hear say going on - some one either started the rumour or saw the infringement and let it go. It was a big site and Marsahals were thinly spread and kept busy.

There were 3 instances reported of people driving over or getting tangled up with the rope and all of these were penalised.

None were recorded as being deliberate which I would take to mean not following the marked course of the rope but blatantly driving over it from a completely different angle - in my opinion this would be grounds for disqualification,.

On the third incident you mention, the competitor was disallowed the punch concerned.

If you think the penalty for accidentally getting hooked up or tangled with the rope should be more severe I would be happy to discuss it, but I think on some sites and with poor weather conditions there would be an awful lot more penalties being applied.

What frustrates me more (and I saw on Sunday) was people who inadvertently damage the rope or stakes then drive off and leave it on the ground. To me that is leaving it wide open for the next driver to have a much easier time on the punch than they had :angry:

So a co-driver standing on the rope and the driver driving over it to leave the section quicker is not deliberate,

and punching a punch from out side the rope is following the marked course as long as you don't drive over it

I agree that you shouldn't give penatlys for accidents but i didn't know we could cheat if no one was looking and run over the ropes if we are in a rush and only loose half the point of that punch if you are seen we may do better next time ;)

Wow, I really cannot see the point of any of the competitors cheating?

Lets be honest, you guys dont do this for the prize money or the adulation of the country through the national media!!

The funny thing is that the parties concerned know that their fellow competitors know whats happening and have to feel that any result they get is hollow and pointless. I am suprised they can actually look the rest of you in eye. Whilst you are competing against one another, your biggest challenge (apart from breaking your truck!) is your teams ability to work together. Thus cheating just shows how inept they are and why waste the money on entering etc?

The only way to stop this is to have 1 marshall per punch, which would make it far easier for you lot and negate the need for a map as all you need to do is look for the bright yellow vest, plus we could never have 40 marshalls per event!

Basically what I am saying is you lot need to self police this issue also. If you see a fellow competitor cheating take them to task over it publicly. You will find it soon stops me thinks!