Sat Nav for defenders

I have a Garmin Streetpilot (now out of date) which I can use on my motorcycles as well as the Defender. This sits on a sticky pad mount next to the Mud Pod. Since this is now out of date technology it struggles to pick up a signal due to the screen angle, heated element and tint (most new cars have a screen coating that causes problems with older satnavs.

So, I mounted an aerial on the top of the snorkel which makes it much more reliable. The Mapsource software is a pain and doesn't allow full postcode searching but I do have most of Europe on a 2gb memory card.

My mrs has a Tomtom 720 (still best GPS PC Pro mag) which is much better at picking up a signal, faster at calculating and has full postcode searching. Also smaller and cost 15% of my old Garmin. The Tomtom will pick up a signal even held in the hand in the front seats of the Defender. However, it has limited mapping and probably wouldn't help much on expeditions.

I guess it depends what you want to do. For the UK on road navigation I would try the Tomtom. For offroad or expedition work a proper system would be more helpful (maybe even pc based) but would cost a load more, be nickable and probably more prone to expensive failure.

Cheers,

Steve

I'm using a Garmin GPS 276C mounted where the mirror should be.

dsc00021hv1.th.jpg

dsc00023fp1.th.jpg

I took the aerial out of the reciever and used some co-ax cable, made a bracket and mounted the aerial in the Alpine light.

Previous to that I had a re-reating [sp] aerial mounted in the ame place but removed it to reduce the ammount of wires across the dash.

I have a Tomtom for road use. It struggles a bit with the near vertical windscreen and, surprisingly, struggles to stay attached to the flat glass. I would have thought it would prefer the LR windscreen to a more swooping, curved one - it must be something about the weight distribution.

If you want off road as well, RoadAngel do a "Navigator" that contains the UK OS maps. That'd probably be what I'd go for if I was buying from scratch now.

For general use, however, Tomtom is still the best and easiest IMHO

I use a Garmin 60CSx with the Garmin suction mount on the windscreen. It is a small screen but it works for me and it is the 'rugged' Garmin therefore it matches the Defender. When left in the sun the suction mount detaches from the windscreen and falls on the floor but you do get the RAM mount which is an infinitely better option.

I use a Mitac Mio PDA with built in GPS, works very well in the 110 and 101. I use Copilot7 on the road and Memory Map off, trying to blag a set of OSI maps at the moment. I've also acquired a CF18 Toughbook with GPS and it's the dogs danglies, going to experiment a bit with mounts.

I use a PDA (An Asus A696) with Tomtom, MemoryMap or Ozi explorer as appropriate. For me this is the best solution, it is very flexible, gets a good GPS signal (built in GPS), ships with a windscreen mount and charger and, with inbuilt Bluetooth and WiFi I can surf the net and get my email when I get where I am going.

Chris

I use a Mitac Mio PDA with built in GPS, works very well in the 110 and 101. I use Copilot7 on the road and Memory Map off, trying to blag a set of OSI maps at the moment. I've also acquired a CF18 Toughbook with GPS and it's the dogs danglies, going to experiment a bit with mounts.

ram mount

I use a TomTom One (original MK1 version) mounted roughly in the centre of the screen with the suction mount. the internal arial does a pretty good job apart from the city of London where the tall buildings block the signal :unsure:

Off the tarmac I use a combination of an ancient Garmin e-map and paper maps!

Steve

Garmin nuvi 250 works fine for me. No problems with the angle of the screen or whatever. Standard suction mount works fine in the UK. I wasn't sure whether it would stay stuck in hot sun whilst bashing round Botswana (it might well have done), so made a very simple mount which clips to the dash rail in seconds, and is immovable. Works perfectly.

Regards,

Diff

Hi there!

I use Garmin GPSMap 60CSx with a suction mount and with Topo database for my area.

Also a IPAq PDA with a GPS receiver and GPS Tuner software loaded with a collection of Google Earth maps, that give me an aerial view of the terrain and the possibility to locate some points not showed by the Garmin database like forest roads, areas with plantations.

Regards