Electric or hydraulic?

GBMUD

Not sure about the motor issue...

The 12000lb model runs slower as it has a 251:1 gear ratio compared to 173:1 on the 9500lb model- David suggests that the larger is more suited to recovery trucks etc. David Bowyers website has all the info about them. The 9500lb is only £339 plus vat...

(I have no connection with the company- just very impressed by this bit of kit...)

254:1 is what RV is running on the rear with a 6hp motor or Bowmotor - not sure which and i hear its slow but pulls like b***ery

the 173:1 runs a 5hp motor so i suppose you could try that with a 6Hp or 5.6Hp Bowmotor if speed was an issue

from what i have seen of them to date if you are after a winch for occasional use then these seem the way fwd £££ per pull.

As Simon says i would be interested to see how they cope post 6mths of winter road salt etc, but then i expect it will be far better than any other winch in the price range.

So thoughts on winch covers? do they keep the water out or moisture in?

Chris your looking at 40kg with the wire rope and roller fairlead (i would go for a steel Hawse over rollers as well- something less to go wrong with the wire)

20kg with Synthetic rope and ali hawse

Chris, I have a TDS as mid mounted on the challenge truck and its a nice bit of kit. As an "occasional use" winch I don't think there is anything better. They are nicely made, Good VFM, pull well and the extra seals should be perfect for a winch that probably isn't going to see lots of maintenance.

As far as motors being water proof they are not. They do need to breath so if your going to seal it with silicone then fit a breather. Rain doesn't tend to be an issue but if you dont seal it and do give it a dunking then its only a five minute job to take the end plate off and let it dry out over night or give it a squirt with WD40 and stick it back together.

As James says above, Go for a hawse of some sort, Stainless for synthetic or steel for steel. Rollers are more trouble than they are worth and will fly to bits if you have a side pull.

For the use I would imagine you would have for it I would totally recommend the TDS.

I love hydros, but they ahve a drawback or 3.

For sheer power Hydraulic set ups are hard to beat, but they can be slow, and there is often a problem with drive assist, whilst drive assist isn't so much of an issue re pulling power as the Hydro doesn't need drive assist as do some leccy winches, the lack of drive assist can be annoying for positioing, as without it its tricky :)

Chris, much as tho I love Hydro go leccy, but get something decent, 8274 has to be at the top of the list ?

Nige

Chris, much as tho I love Hydro go leccy, but get something decent, 8274 has to be at the top of the list ?

Nige

for occassional greenlane use - 8274 at £850 or TDS at £300 odd?

My TDS gets more than occasional work and it just keeps on pulling. I keep checking the motor for water ingress but none as yet.

Mike Cuff is running a TDS on the rear of his J**p with a 5.6 Bowmotor - he seems happy. The way the mount on his j**p is designed the rear winch gets wet and stays wet. Having just re-built his old EP9, I was a bit surprised as it was the most kna**ered EP motor I have seen out of about 70 odd. So it will be interesting to see how his TDS holds up

knackered but still working or kaput?

Still working of course! Two brushes were grey powder and the motor had been hot enough to distort the plastic mounting for the brush mounts; the windings were scored form molten solder that had formed when run to hot then cooled into a ool that interfered with the windings - but this isn't some crappy Warn we are talking here this is an EP9! So of course it still worked. Ran a tadge warm though. Oh and the previous servicer had been a beliver in the pack it with grease school of winchery

Guest WALFY
Speaking from experience there James :lol::lol:

I just wish Walfy was around :ph34r::ph34r:

Jase Are you missing me??? I heard from a reliable source that at the last event you ran around park ferme asking everyone if they had seen me. When you found out I wasn't about you skulked off to your truck and sulked all day :P:P:P

Sorry for being O/T

Thanks everyone for the advice above. I have another question now.

I plan to use steel cable on the winch as I do not plan to use it much. It was suggested that rather than having a roller fairlead, I go for a steel hawse fairlead. I think that this makes sense, as I do not really like the idea of a great big roller fairlead sticking out of the front of the Landrover and it seems like something else to have to maintain. I plan to use the winch infrequently for self recovery which I anticipate will mean straight pulls rather than side pulls and is unlikely to involve many pulls where the anchor point is substantially higher or lower than the winch. Does anyone have any strong feelings about this?

Thanks

Chris

less weight, less maintenance, less sticking out the front - ideal for your expected usage i would have thought.

our work ones run wire with steel Hawse and they work fine.

Chris, Our Kris (green 90 tray back at 4x4 adventures events) uses wire with a steel hawse after destroying more roller fairleads than you can shake a stick at. The roller ones just fly to bits, The cheap ones are complete rubbish and the expensive ones arn't much better. When they do fly to bits your in a right mess with the winch cable running the edge of your winch tray. He's real pleased, no trouble even on tight side pulls and I very much doubt he'll ever go back.

Jase Are you missing me??? I heard from a reliable source that at the last event you ran around park ferme asking everyone if they had seen me. When you found out I wasn't about you skulked off to your truck and sulked all day :P:P:P

Sorry for being O/T

:lol::lol: I think your absence worked wonders with us . :lol::lol:

You know im only kidding mate.

Thanks everyone for the advice above. I have another question now.

I plan to use steel cable on the winch as I do not plan to use it much. It was suggested that rather than having a roller fairlead, I go for a steel hawse fairlead. I think that this makes sense, as I do not really like the idea of a great big roller fairlead sticking out of the front of the Landrover and it seems like something else to have to maintain. I plan to use the winch infrequently for self recovery which I anticipate will mean straight pulls rather than side pulls and is unlikely to involve many pulls where the anchor point is substantially higher or lower than the winch. Does anyone have any strong feelings about this?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Hause fairlead is a good choice , I ran one on the back with a husky and steel , No worries about damage just a little clean up with a Dremmel now and then .

• 4 weeks later...

I can update you on mine ;)

I replaced my ep9 with a TDS 9.5 after buying one off David Bowyer at Billing. It was an easy straight swap from this...

winch016Medium.jpg

to this...

080727_0117Medium.jpg

TDS 9.5 is as expected - it has an easier to use freespool, beefier drum supports and also I noticed that it's taller. I didn't notice this until I fitted it and this extra height will allow more rope on the drum than an EP9. I've yet to try the the seals, but they have a good reputation in this area.

So far everything works as it should and seeing as most of the brake/gearset is similar to EP9 I should have a good relaible winch, and with the seals slightly less servicing. ;) Here's some more pics..

080727_0114Medium.jpg

080727_0112Medium.jpg

Cheers

Steve