TDV6 How big?

tacr2man

Don't think it will physically fit as thats one of the reasons LR haven't done it.

I think it is a mixture of cost and the fact that it puts out 325lbft and most of the Defender transmission is only rated to about 280 ... they would have to uprate everything else and it would get expensive.

In terms of fit I would say (having seen one on the floor recently) that it is narrower and shorter lengthways than a V8, but probably a fair bit taller in height, and clouting it on the axle (or needing a Puma style bonnet) would be the most likely issues, apart from the obvious one of whether it is worth a lot of effort to put in an engine which goes wrong every other week :unsure:

I love the TDV6 to drive and a Defender with one in would be fun, but I have seen too many broken ones and the thought of owning one not covered by warranty gives me the screaming heebie jeebies!

I wasnt aware that the TDV6 had reliability issues , or is it to do with all the electrics ?

The other engines 200, 300 tdi dont really cut it as a replacement for a 3.9i , and if I was going to do a lot of modding I thought the TDV6 was worth the effort rather than a TD5 . other opinions ?

I wasnt aware that the TDV6 had reliability issues , or is it to do with all the electrics ?

The other engines 200, 300 tdi dont really cut it as a replacement for a 3.9i , and if I was going to do a lot of modding I thought the TDV6 was worth the effort rather than a TD5 . other opinions ?

if you want a big powerful diesel to replace the rv8 - why not stick in the nissan 4.2d and its Gbox/tranny box?

i'm pretty sure the tranny box outputs are in the same position as the landy tranny box.

or go the whole hog and wang the axles from the nissan under there as well. Then you get a big torquey engine, a gearbox that wont go pop and axles made of something stiffer than a cadburys flake.

I have used nissans in OZ not a bad vehicle, cant carry any weight unless you change the susp, if driven fast and hard same mileage as RV8 , only had single bearing rear axles untill very recently. If a bearing goes you need a hydraulic press to put new bearing on . Early turbos had a habit of blowing up . Very big and heavy engine. I know coz i used to go tow them in with a 130 .

Might go to LPG

I have used nissans in OZ not a bad vehicle, cant carry any weight unless you change the susp, if driven fast and hard same mileage as RV8 , only had single bearing rear axles untill very recently. If a bearing goes you need a hydraulic press to put new bearing on . Early turbos had a habit of blowing up . Very big and heavy engine. I know coz i used to go tow them in with a 130 .

Might go to LPG

There's nothing wrong with semi floating rear shafts.

Why not stick a 6bt cummins in it? or a 6 pot perkins phazer?

Or my personal favorite would be a isuzu 4bd1t, 3.9 litres of 4 pot goodlyness.

TDV6 have all sorts of complicated electronics. Think that the ECU will not run stand allone. Try talking to Jeremy Fearn as when I was there 3 months ago he had a TDV6 he was looking to get running with out the LR ECU.

Alternatively go for a BMW M57 3.0 6 cylinder diesel - as fitted to BMW 330d,530d. Same engine as the TD^ in a Rangey, but rangey ecu will not run on it's own. ECU on pre 2002 models will run with out the rest of the car. With a tweek good for 250 HP +. Engine is 210kg - roughly the same as a 200/300TDI engine.

Adrian