DVLA

Tangoman

Has anybody read the article in LRW this month (FEB)

DVLA DEBACLE Should we be really worried ? don't know much about sva and the implications if we had to go Q reg because of mods.Have a read.

Perhaps this is old news to every and i have had my head i the sand.

Coments

The teaser reads Possible changes to the way modified vehicles are registered could impact on many land rovers.Basically they are saying they are having a review of the inspection procedurs and one aspect is modified vehicles part of the article reads the dvla recommendations are that once a vehicle has had its chassis modified and /or suspension changed then it's identity is in questionand it should go through SVA All mot inspedtors would be obliged to record any such mod on the new computerised mot recording system,which would then be flaggedup by the DVLA.

Thats just part of it.

Read the article.

Thats how it is now, and thats why the hybrid i've just built had to be SVA'd / Q-plated

I'll pop into town next week and have a read of LRW in WHSmiths :P

[smug mode] wot Dave said, the end is nigh, I tell you, THE END IS NIGH [/smug mode]

Short person have you got anything constructive to add? I have The end is nigh for you.

OK, constructively speaking cos Nick will hold the tyres I'm running on to ransom :P

IMHO for the majority of modded vehicles that are represented on this forum, there won't really be too much of a problem:

Those that are trailered to events will stay that way, there may be issues for RTV trials and insurance for competition etc but folks will just have to be more selective about the events they enter.

For the rest (probably the majority), the vehicles (which probably recieve more maintenance, care and attention than the owners "daily drivers") will have to go for SVA in the light goods class and will, in the main, pass with little trouble. SVA isn't really anything to get worked up about, just a test of the vehicles sound design and safety to be on the road. There may have to be a few "tweaks" made in the name of pedestrian safety and handling, but that will be about it.

The only vehicles that may struggle are:

Heavily modded CSW's, ra/ro's and Disco's that want to keep their 2nd row permenant seats, but in general these aren't the vehicles that get heavily modified

and

Tax dodgers - coil sprung, tdi engined, roll caged, 88" shortened raro chassis'd defenders running on SIIa log books - for the owners of these vehicles, sorry guys, the game is finally up.

The only thing we should collectively be worrying about at this point is the lack of insurers that will deal with Q plated vehicles, but I hope that demand will improve competition (a vain hope I know).

If you are worried, take heart from the fact that Dave, Richard (TrickyS) and I have all built non standard (100" "defenders") in the past couple of years and got them through the SVA system with little trouble and we started from scratch.

Is that more constructive Mr "panicking bout his Bob" :P:P:P:P

Just to check I am reading it right....

If you replace your a componet listed, with one of the salme type, then you will still end up on a Q plate?

So, As I have lifted my buy 2" (suspension), replaced a knackered LT77 with an Ascroft LT77(gearbox) and repaced a 200tdi with another 200tdi(engine) I should really be on a Q plate? when the only real Modification I have done is put taller springs in place?

As a matter of interest, whith the suspension, how many people are still on the factory springs? Original gearbox, Original engine? with a 1991 Defender

I dont think there is any way of policing this. I run a series 3 on coilsprings and with a TDI. On the registration form (UK registration), the engine number is right and so is the chassis number. Legally I can drive with this because the MOT is the piece of paper that says the car is save.

I do pay road tax, however which is were the pointsystem comes into play.

Also, my insurer knows what I have got, with pictures of the vehicle in detail.

For this to change something for me, I think the only thing that could happen is my insurer demanding an SVA test, or the police stopping me because they can tell the car has coilsprings. I cannot see both things happening though.

Daan

Morning all.

Link below is to an article I produced sometime ago in LRM :

http://www.lwb3.fsnet.co.uk/tax_exemption.htm

This gives a basic (out of dateish) background to DVLA / Plates ? SVA / Q Plates ? Etc

Since then things have moved on.

Not least is the new MOT System.

For those who haven't yet been through this new process its fully computerized, and causing some problems for the above on top of al the "Old" regs.

My MOT tester was discussing with me the fact he has refused to test some 4x4s.....they "Look" like a Landy, but when he keys in the reg number the DVLA show it as a Tax exempt commer van, he Q was either he has to report this to DVLA, or perhaps you would prefer to canx the test ?...

Much that comes up on the MOT is reportable, and he has also has a merc arrive typed in reg said 2001 BLUE, prob was it was red, reported, inspected and found it was a ringer......

I do now belive that Tax exempt hybrids with chassis altered etc will be a nightmare to be legal, not impossible, but not easy. With regards to suspension etc, classification of acceptable "replacable items) means you can replace, they look more at leaves are now coils etc.

There is a definate attitude that says if the 4x4 is NOT tax exempt then your not trying it on £ wise and not defrauding anyone, but the more "Radical" the 4x4 the more "Attention" it may rasie, the issue on what the DVLA has on its records is a whole new level, within a few months this system will have been out for a year, then, the Police when they follow ANY UK vehicle, can tap the keyboards and see when and if its taxed.

Part of tthis entire process is an atempt to stamp out crime in cars, ringers, writeoffs making in back to the road, tax and mot dodgers driving death traps, but unfortunately we may suffer the effects of fall out.

Its a grey area, but I do know now of a few 4x4ers who have come unstuck with police checks, and have had to consider the future, some SVA some like me have a less modified and more visually normal truck...there is no "exact answer"

But if youi run a bitsa, with Tax exempt coils then you are in a world of poo.... no argument....

HTH

Nige

What about people like, to throw up an example, SimonR? He's pulled the coils off his car and put his own air suspension on it. He Q-plates it, SVA's it, it passes. All good.

Then he has a smart idea to relocate the axles using ball joints, uses magnets instead of springs and mounts a crane on the back to recover the Antill mob. Does he have to re-SVA it? The "Modified" box on the computer will already be ticked but surely it's not safe if Simon's got Dave on a spec-lift behind his LR hooning down the A27?

What about those vehicles which were modified years ago? If the modifications took place in 80's for example surely it could be argued that the regulations did not apply then, so how can they apply now? (In the same way they they cannot insist that a Series I has seatbelts)

As long as the mods were made pre 2002 you should be in the clear, it's radical mods since then that are the issue.

When I discussed this last with our local DVLA inspector last it was one of the few definates that there were. However, what DVLA will acept as proof............................. keep guessing.

so,

if I were to add a role cage to my stock 200tdi defender 90 1993, the role cage is attached to the chaise via beefed up outriggers and the internal role cage is attached to the rear part of the chaise using HD "brackets" (couldn’t think of a better description :ph34r: ) welded to the chaise would I have to put my defender thought the SVA test?

Dose beefed up out riggers and adding some HD "brackets" count as a modified chaise

and what if I were to use after market springs and shocks to give a 2inch lift would have to put it though a sva.

Its all rather confusing for some on new to the driving world :ph34r:

thanks Tom :D

Edited by The new Guy