accumate charger the best?

nas90

A problem with the battery on my VFR750 and also today my Bombadier quad

Both are motorcyle batteries probably gel type lead acid? and FLAT :(

Is the accumate or optimate charger going to be a good option and can I then use the same charger on car / Land Rover battery?

Been discussed before on this forum but not the motorcycle charging option?

Dave

I bought an Accumate Pro for keeping the batteries on my truck charged up when it sits unused for long periods.

I managed to deep discharge the twin battery setup on two occasions and both times the accumate has bought the batteriesback from the dead. now i leave it on to keep the batteries conditioned and up to date. Works very well and comes highly recommended!

I got an Optimate for the CBR600 and it was great - however when I needed a similar capability for the Range Rover battery, obviously the Optimate couldn't cope and so I bought a Halfords unit that has the ability to charge and maintain AND is switchable for bike and car batteries (Bike batteries can't take the charge current that car ones can). It's so good I now have the Optimate lined up for putting on eBay!

Roger

p.s. The Honda battery is now 9 years old and still fine, the RR battery is 4 years old and is still fine - but the RRC hasn't been off the drive for 3 years.. These things are good!

Just to note, the Accumate is not foolproof - there are situations where it can get confused and do the wrong thing. I left mine for a few days charging a battery (it should charge it and then drop back to 'float' charge). Unfortunately, one dead cell confused the charger into running at full tilt continuously.

When I came back to the workshop, there was a strange metallic smell in the air, and one very hot (and dry) battery.

Not the chargers fault, I should have fitted the temperature sensor to the battery which would have reduced the current when the battery heated up. The battery was already stuffed, it wasn't damaged by the charger.

Just to note, don't leave it unattended for long periods unless it's already dropped down to the float charge mode and stayed there (not switching back to 'absorption' occasionally).

Agree it's an excellent charger though.

I have an optimate for my bike but it seems to work well on the landy batteries too, just takes a while, I usually leave it connected all week when I get back to the unit the next weekend its finished and is on maintenance mode

Mike

Same here, I had an Optimate for the bike which is great for the LR battery, As said though it takes about a week to charge a flat battery up. I've got a spare LR battery which is connected to the optimate and I flick it on for a week or so every so often to make sure it is kept fully charged ready for use. I could leave it connected all the time - but it's got no draw on it so it doesn't seem worth it.

Excellent bit of kit and it's recovered two gel cell type batteries which were completely dead