UK•XTC

najw

As there seems to be quite a lot of talk about new trucks, events and series for 2009, I thought it was a good time to share with you a new event we are planning for next year.

Xtreme Timed Challenge

This will be a new take on the classic Point to Point discipline which will require teams to visit a set number of points around a course in the shortest time possible.

I envisage 20-30 'gates' that the vehicles must pass through over a 2-3 mile course, using CyberKeys to record their visit. The route taken between gates is free.

Cars would start at one minute intervals and there would be a set number of laps to be completed through the day.

Kirton Off Road Centre have agreed to allow the first event to take place at their site on a date to be decided. Regulations would be in line with the MSA Point to Point criteria.

Now comes the crunch...

As this is a speed discipline teams will require the following:

MSA Clubman License (£10)

MSA approved helmets

MSA approved fire extinguishers

MSA approved Harnesses

MSA specification full rollcage

I envisage this appealing to Challenge, Safari and Modified trials drivers, although a winch is likely to be required for the purposes of self recovery.

The severity of the course would be somewhere between current Challenge and Comp Safari events.

The first event will require a minimum of 12 cars to get it off the ground, so before we go any further in the planning stages we need to get an indication if there is any interest. If the first event takes place and is a success then there will definitely be a second event in 2009.

I look forward to your comments

As there seems to be quite a lot of talk about new trucks, events and series for 2009, I thought it was a good time to share with you a new event we are planning for next year.

Xtreme Timed Challenge

This will be a new take on the classic Point to Point discipline which will require teams to visit a set number of points around a course in the shortest time possible.

I envisage 20-30 'gates' that the vehicles must pass through over a 2-3 mile course, using CyberKeys to record their visit. The route taken between gates is free.

Cars would start at one minute intervals and there would be a set number of laps to be completed through the day.

Kirton Off Road Centre have agreed to allow the first event to take place at their site on a date to be decided. Regulations would be in line with the MSA Point to Point criteria.

Now comes the crunch...

As this is a speed discipline teams will require the following:

MSA Clubman License (£10)

MSA approved helmets

MSA approved fire extinguishers

MSA approved Harnesses

MSA specification full rollcage

I envisage this appealing to Challenge, Safari and Modified trials drivers, although a winch is likely to be required for the purposes of self recovery.

The severity of the course would be somewhere between current Challenge and Comp Safari events.

The first event will require a minimum of 12 cars to get it off the ground, so before we go any further in the planning stages we need to get an indication if there is any interest. If the first event takes place and is a success then there will definitely be a second event in 2009.

I look forward to your comments

Count me in new truck will have an MSA approved cage. We need something like this to keep the sport evolving, I love the concept of the King of the hammers in the states and to bring an event like this to the UK is a great idea :D

You do know this has been done before by COR ?

I think it was the Ironman Challenge where we had to complete as many laps as possible over 2 days, navigating between waypoints and winching where necessary. They set up 3 different courses, each with it's own set of waypoints, that way you had 3 different circuits to "learn" before you could start driving without navigating.

It was a good event format though I don't remember there being many finishers after 2 days !

Sounds like fun... but my only worry is that there might end up being big traffic jams or people running each other over to get by on the sections...

We done an even a few years back (Winchman 04) which was set out like this... and if there was a narrow bit to the section and somebody got stuck, or somebody got stuck trying to get the punch.... then there was a biiiiiig tale back...

Was an great event tho... :rolleyes:

No Brainer.... :)

We'll be there, sounds like fun.

Without meaning to sound silly? is Kirton big enough?? :unsure:

Jim

Silly Boy!

A gentle reminder, look at the scale bar

You have only ever seen 50% of the site at best - Keys for the south side may be getting dusted off - that place is hell on earth! Just ask DirtyDiesel or KingCJ if you dont believe me!

Question - Xtreme? Playing with words Neil? :rolleyes::ph34r:

To answer the questions thus far...

Vehicles will not need to be road taxed or road legal. (From 2009 vehicles will not need to be taxed to compete in AWDC challenges either)

Rear steer will not be allowed but hydro steer will.

Been done before? Maybe but I don't believe there are many new ideas under the sun, just fresh angles :P

Kirton big enough? I think a 2-3 mile lap is possible plus if Roger hands over the keys we could be looking at a 2 day event on 2 adjacent sites :blink:

As said before, we are in the planning stages. We have a site, manpower, insurance & enthusiasm all we need now are drivers.

To answer the questions thus far...

Vehicles will not need to be road taxed or road legal. (From 2009 vehicles will not need to be taxed to compete in AWDC challenges either)

Rear steer will not be allowed but hydro steer will.

Been done before? Maybe but I don't believe there are many new ideas under the sun, just fresh angles :P

Kirton big enough? I think a 2-3 mile lap is possible plus if Roger hands over the keys we could be looking at a 2 day event on 2 adjacent sites :blink:

As said before, we are in the planning stages. We have a site, manpower, insurance & enthusiasm all we need now are drivers.

Any tyre size regulations? Please say no! <_<

After all, any advantages gained through tyre size will be lost because the axles will keep breaking.

Sounds like an absolutely excellent idea.

Tim

Silly Boy!

A gentle reminder, look at the scale bar

You have only ever seen 50% of the site at best - Keys for the south side may be getting dusted off - that place is hell on earth! Just ask DirtyDiesel or KingCJ if you dont believe me!

Question - Xtreme? Playing with words Neil? :rolleyes::ph34r:

:lol::lol:

I know little of the site, it was an honest question :)

In which case........

Bring it on :)

Jim