SIII 109" Salisbury disc brake conversion?

XtremeMarineInc

Title says it all. Done a search, but results are rather confusing, to say the least. Salisbury axles for Defenders can be easily converted to disc brake using either D90 or D110 brakes. Range Rover Rotor hubs, etc... Blah, blah, blah...

But; Can a Salisbury rear from a SIII be converted to disc brakes? That is the question. I see the main problem being with the hub being the 6 bolt design, as the range rover hubs are the later 5 bolt design. Is there a conversion out there? Has it been done? How well does it work?

Well I dunno about salisburys, but I've done it on a rover rear axle.

I used range rover stubs and hubs etc and the 24 spline coiler drive flanges fitted the series 24 spline outer shaft ends. Cant see why the same couldnt be done with coiler bits versus drum dits on a salisbury axle either.

The only real agro you might have is with lengths of half shafts but as I said - I cant see why it wont work cos it does on a rover axle!

Jon

Still collecting parts for my conversion, i will be using front early 110 hubs and drive flanges, late series 3 stub axles (same inner/outer bearing type), i have the rear caliper brackets from a 110, all i need is a set of calipers to get it all together. I still have to see if i will have issues with shaft lenghts, but as Jon said if it worked on a rover type than it will or should work on a sals.

Grem

I just used rangie rear hubs and standard rangie rear disks and calipers. I used the 110 salisbury caliper mounting brackets (had to machine them slightly IIRC).

Drum braked 90 rear stub axles and "thick flange" 24 spline outer drive flanges and it more or less became a bolt on job. I did a detailed post on it many many moons ago. Might even have been on the old forum.........

Dont forget with disks all round you'll need a bigger servo - i used an early 110 on complete with pedal box as the series servo still required both feet on the pedal to get it to stop!

Jon

It looks like maybe the Zeus kit would work, and also the one from Rovers North, by Proline. RN says that there's is for all SII and SIII rears, including 109's, which would mean Sals. But they can't say for sure if anyone has ever done it to a Sals, and had it work. I really don't want to be their guinea pig. Will wait until my email is replied to by Zeus, and go from there.

It looks like maybe the Zeus kit would work, and also the one from Rovers North, by Proline. RN says that there's is for all SII and SIII rears, including 109's, which would mean Sals. But they can't say for sure if anyone has ever done it to a Sals, and had it work. I really don't want to be their guinea pig. Will wait until my email is replied to by Zeus, and go from there.

Maybe u give Paul at www.heystee-automotive.com a ring/try? Very friendly guy, i´ve seen this kit sometime ago: really good craftmannship and common parts used... i will go for such a kit (front) next year: perhaps this kit matches the sal!? ask him..

I'd recommend only doing a disc brake conversion on the front and just fitting new cylinders and shoes in the rear. My 109 is running a disc brake conversion on the front with new shoes and cylinders on the back and I lock the rear wheels before the fronts. Discs on the back would just exacerbate the problem unless you went down the route of apportioning valves et cetera.

Rob,

You need to change the master cylinder for a 110 one as they're biased more towards the front which will solve your problem. The series dual cicuit one is split 50/50, where the 110 one is 60/40 (ish cant remember exactly) which will solve this problem.

I'm running disks all round on my 88" and with the series master find its about right. Running my own home made disk conversion on the front and range rover based rears.

The zeus disk brake kit is horrible. Tonk bought one and sent it back to them and then we made out own. The heystee/TI console one isnt much better either!

Sliding calipers on an off roader is a disaster IMHO as they just jam up having filled up with mud!

Jon

Thanks for the heads up. I really like the look of the Zeus, but if problems have been found with them, customer support across the pond is probably pretty rough. As far as the Haystee kit; it looks to be well engineered, but maybe not enough so for a dedicated off-roader. I really like the look of his power steering kit. The big "off" for me on his discs was the sourcing of Santana parts, which are high near unfindable here.

The Rovers North kit is set up front and rear using Defender 90 front and rear calipers and discs, and still using all series bearings/races. So parts availability is pretty good.

Rob,

You need to change the master cylinder for a 110 one as they're biased more towards the front which will solve your problem. The series dual cicuit one is split 50/50, where the 110 one is 60/40 (ish cant remember exactly) which will solve this problem.

I'm running disks all round on my 88" and with the series master find its about right. Running my own home made disk conversion on the front and range rover based rears.

The zeus disk brake kit is horrible. Tonk bought one and sent it back to them and then we made out own. The heystee/TI console one isnt much better either!

Sliding calipers on an off roader is a disaster IMHO as they just jam up having filled up with mud!

Jon

Hi Jon ;)

Yeah I suppose I should fit one, maybe in a years time or so once I've got some mileage under the belt of the genuine master cylinder that cost me a small fortune :blink:

• 4 weeks later...
I'm looking at getting a rear salisbury axle for my RRC to run my 37s but don't like the thought of the drum brakes. Would it be hard to swap discs/hubs etc from my 93 RRC? What would I need to do this?

I would advise you to find disc braked salisbury in the first place from a defender, although you may convert a drum braked variant to discs. Also post your question on the defender forum, as series sals are narrower for your application.

Grem

I would advise you to find disc braked Salisbury in the first place from a defender, although you may convert a drum braked variant to discs. Also post your question on the defender forum, as series sals are narrower for your application.

Grem

Thanks for the info, are all rear drum braked ones from a series then? The reason I ask is because I don't know an awful lot about the Salisbury's, I only started thinking about it yesterday when somebody offered me one for reasnoble cash but said it was drum brake. I'm not sure what vehicle it was from though, I just new they were stronger from what I'd read & thought that might do the trick.

At the moment my Rangie is running 24 spline stuff, do you know if the salisbury axle is much stronger?

Thanks for the info, are all rear drum braked ones from a series then? The reason I ask is because I don't know an awful lot about the Salisbury's, I only started thinking about it yesterday when somebody offered me one for reasnoble cash but said it was drum brake. I'm not sure what vehicle it was from though, I just new they were stronger from what I'd read & thought that might do the trick.

At the moment my Rangie is running 24 spline stuff, do you know if the salisbury axle is much stronger?

The 110 salisbury started as drums and then went to discs, the conversion parts are all bolt-on, the caliper bracket is a LR part. Salisburys were always 24-spline even in Series, the shafts are no different as far as I know but the diff itself is massive so you're unlikely to break one.

I agree you're best off with this in the Defender forum really.