Safari Snorkel

That bit in the wing is also known as a sieve :rolleyes: I know that you can buy some safari snorkles for 300/td5/V8's with a round lip ready to jubilee a pipe to, if you can get one of these for the 200 side i would strongly reccamend it, otherwise take your time with the silicon gun.

Will

Ps i have that ducting here if you really want it.

I'm about to buy a safari snorkel. I assume this bit is supposed to already be in the car but I don't have it. There is nothing connected to the filter box.

Yes the inner part for the intake grille & the connecting parts to the air cleaner case are standard LR parts that should be fitted to your vehicle. same parts as used on the 2.5TD & 200Tdi 90/110 :D

200Tdiairintake.jpg

Why buy a Safari? It is made by Australians who don't know what a safari is. Catches budgies etc in the intake. Better to use a Mantec snorkel made in the UK.

is that what those little green and yellow things are?

I'm about to buy a safari snorkel. I assume this bit is supposed to already be in the car but I don't have it. There is nothing connected to the filter box.

i have just fitted a safari snorkel to my defender(fantastic snorkel realy good quality) and mine came with everything i needed to fit it(except someone to fit it!!!!)

it took me just under an hour

real nice snorkel

thanks

jack

If the 200 version of the Safari means that you have to use the crummy LR plumbing inside the wing, get a Rebel 4x4 copy of the Mantec and save some money. The 300Tdi Safari is much better as it replaces the piping that always leaks... see here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=78 for more info

I found that as long as I sealed the drains (obviously) and where the two pieces shown in Western's post join, that the system is now air-tight.

Blocking the top of the snorkel stalls the engine within a few seconds, and the vacuum is maintained. That's with stock 200Tdi plumbing from wing inwards.

And to add insult to injury the Australians are now selling roofracks under the name 'Rhino'. I suppose it will sell better than calling it a 'Wombat'. At least OME used an Australian animal. (ok, rant over).

As to the efficiency of the Safari budgie catcher vs. the Mantec Christmas pudding tin, you should see the driver's side roof of my Defender which has a thick layer of dust thrown down by the Mantec. I don't suppose that matters in the UK, but it does here. Not as good as the Donaldson centrifugal spinners, but not bad for something with no moving parts.

Hi Cat J, I have the bits you need and will post a pic if you are interested, they are left overs from my installation.

Cheers

Gary

Well I've gone and bought the safari along with a silencer replacement pipe and other bits to save on postage. Muddy if you've got the bits that would be great, if not no worries.

Weasel, PM sent mate.

I went through a river yesterday and lost power half way across. White steam/smoke started pouring out of the exhaust and the air filter was wet. I changed the filter and after a dodgy few miles all seems to be back to normal. What is the worst I could have done to the engine?

I will have a good look at the snorkel route tomorrow and check for leaks, but only went into the water to the top of the wheel, but maybe too fast.

Cheers,

Paul

I should imagine that if the engine is still running normal then your engine was either warm enough to vaporize the water before it got to the turbo or your filter absorbed it all. Steam in the engine shouldn't really do it any damage as its compressible, but if you actually got any water in the turbo (assuming you have one) or engine you'd probably know about it by now.

Thats how I see it anyway. Did it actually cut out?

Got my snorkel today by the way and thanks muddy that pipe turned up today. Spent the evening hitting the old exhaust with a hammer to get the new one in though. It feels smoother and a bit more responsive on the throttle now.

No, it didn't cut out. There was just a sudden loss of power and then the steam started pouring out of the exhaust. I drove out of the river and left the engine ticking over until it cleared. When I took the air filter element out though it was completely wet. I have a 200 TDI so yes with turbo. I have been back in the mountains since and it still gets me up and down steep gradients without problem.

There is a slight reduced performance to the engine, but I'm wondering whether I'm imagining that, now I know there may be a problem. My viscous coupling has been screwed on as went 3-4 weeks ago and I have noticed I get a slight reduction in power with that as the fan is on all the time.

It is very easy to bend a con rod in these engines if they hydraulic on water or diesel. The best way to check for damage is to do a compression test as a bent rod will lower the cr by a lot.

To show how easy it is, here is a picture of a rod bent on the starter motor alone after the head gasket let water in.

P1010006Small.jpg

I don't have the kit here to do a compression test, so will ask a local garage to do it, thanks Jim.

I spent the whole morning trying to find where the water came in. I took the mushroom off and put my hand on top. There was only a very slight pull on my skin and certainly no where near enough to starve and stall the engine. I checked everywhere for a leak but couldn't find or hear anything. I siliconed all that I could see, but it made no difference. The only place that I can think of is the lower pipe inside the wing that connects with the snorkel. There was no jubilee clip on the pipe and after putting one on I couldn't do it up as no space. I siliconed it though but again no difference. I think for now I will have to stay away from water!

Have to taken apart and checked the filter housing?

Yes, I took it apart. I fitted a length of rubber around the inside of the lid as the fit was poor. However, there was no suction noise before or after. When you put your hand over the snorkel, how much suction should you feel and how quickly should the engine cut out?

Well mine must have a very big leak then because you can only feel the faintest pull when hand over the snorkel and certainly no drawing in noises from anywhere on the system that is obvious. The only place I know that is not good is the lowest pipe on the inside of the wing without a jubilee clip in place. I will be in the UK next month and need to invest in one of the screwdrivers that are long with a bendy shaft, as no normal screwdriver and hand is going to fit down there!