Howlin' Wolf Round 7 - Tong

najw

Regrettably John Fair & Gwyn Lewis' Special Stage score of 300 points was omitted from the published results.

These have now been amended and the Class and Overall Championship tables updated accordingly.

Revised results etc are now available

HERE

Apologies for the omission gentlemen !!!

Thanks to the team once again for a great day out, fantastic. :i-m_so_happy:

Im convinced thats the best "all round site" we do, with something for everyone, ands it "up North"

Thanks to Big Bluefor not doing a depth test in one of the double punches up near the car park,

Yes it went straight over the bonnet, soaked my ar*e, and my seats AGAIN, but was well worth it, one day my son all will become even. :o;)

Just broke the rear rope, then the 16" cooling fan decided to disintergrate (Pacet Pro Fan) , then after bending the front unbendable Sumo steering bar the rear one decided to become useless when the track rod end broke as far away from the spares on the car park as possible, no worries nice day for a long walk in the woods, suprising who you bump in to. :blink:

See you all soon. :P

Thanks to Big Bluefor not doing a depth test in one of the double punches up near the car park,

Yes it went straight over the bonnet, soaked my ar*e, and my seats AGAIN, but was well worth it, one day my son all will become even. :o;)

So the MS was OK when submerged then, That's re-assuring!

Steve,

For a V8 challenge motor I cannot praise highly enough or say how happy I have been with Megasquirt,

I have absolutely no problems whatsoever in totally submerging the engine for periods of half an hour of so with complete confidance and not a single solitary missfire,

everthing else on the car suffers, but struggle it water it does not,

HOW GOOD IS THAT ??????

TOTAL CONTROL OF A PETROL IN WATER

Now that is something to shout about, more power than a diesel, more rev range than a diesel, better heater than a diesel, more instant power than a diesel, lighter than a diesel, cheaper fuel than a diesel, and talk about sound better than a diesel.

Sorry but I love it.

i still dont belive him after one pair of lads trashed both their 8274s and then told me theyd spend 10K just doing the howling wolf this year. i think ill be destined for a few more years racing motocross.

you can compete on a smaller budget and dont have to go the whole hog, Rogue Vogue was done as a cheap build and excluding fabrication which NIck did himself i think comes in at around £2.5k all up - i am sure Nick will be along to comment soon. Ok were arent winning but we arent at the other end of the scale either.

you can compete on a smaller budget and dont have to go the whole hog, Rogue Vogue was done as a cheap build and excluding fabrication which NIck did himself i think comes in at around £2.5k all up - i am sure Nick will be along to comment soon. Ok were arent winning but we arent at the other end of the scale either.

Don't do yerself a disservice, you aren't far off it... ;)

Well I’m definitely on a budget, might have two winches (one to get into trouble and one to get out) but only one battery, no locking diffs and still got most of the body work, although most panels are no longer straight! Only got a 2” lift but still having great fun and some reasonable results considering the limitations of the vehicle. Now have a broken cambelt, that wasn’t in the budget

I don't want to start a discussion about budget, however, anyone considering the whole series should consider the big picture.

You need a budget to cover your entry fee, your fuel to compete, fuel to travel, food and drink to keep you while you're away camping. On top of that the cost of whatever breaks :ph34r: , wears out :unsure: or, in the case of recovery kit, gets lost :rolleyes: .

I would not have managed to keep it together (and stay married) without the input from my sponsors and especially Chris (GBMUD) and Graham (RocKeR) (along with his fuel card ;) ).

We have, or will, travel a huge number of miles towing my trailer:-

Round 1, Slab Common 76m

Round 2, Wern-ddu 500m

Round 3, Walter's Arena 444m

Round 4, Cowm Quarry 538m

Round 5, Kirton Off Road Centre 440m

Round 6, West Harptree 336m

Round 7, Parkwood 4x4 498m

Round 8, Slindon Safari 48m

Totaling 2880miles! :o

Apparently speeding - in REVERSE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh. ok then!?

nevermind.

just a little add on the whole money thing.

cars and bulding them is not massivly pricey, unless you do it in a month. taken years to bulid my shed.

dragging it all over the country on a fifteen hundred quid trailer with a thirsty disco is what costs. a year ago it was (literally) half the price. but as said, that is another topic.

so your telling me - just to get this straight , that you spent including vehicle 2500 to get your competition motor up and running... what did that 2500 buy you.... was it done in one hit or over a period of years, months as and when you get the dosh to pay for stuff.

plus you need to consider the down time of the motor from breakages - - ok 2500 to start then shortly followed after a couple of events 200 quid on new ropes etc etc.. new alternator, belts - servicing, tyres - - the list goes on - - it may be easy to get it to a level of abilitly but what about keeping it there... now we are talking money - and thats without the actual event costs etc.

Finally got home at 2am Monday morning as van broke down 150 miles from home. The exhaust gave up the ghost again and then burnt through the brake pipe. 3 hours later the RAC collected me on 2 transporters, one for the van, one to tow the trailer and 90. We woke up our sleepy little cul de sac :) , even though Sue told the men to turn their flashers off!!!

Van now fixed but not even looked at the gearbox on the 90 yet; other more important things to deal with, so I'm told! :(

well so far my cheap build is at around that sum, a 90 bought for 800 pounds! (first mistake), a new rear cross member, a 200 tdi, alot of welding, pro comp shocks (at trade thanks to a discount at billing), gwyn lewis shock mounts and hoses, salisbury rear axle, prop, transfer box and terantula trailing arms. and theres all those little things you dont account for when putting engines in and working on a vehicle yourself.

after talking to some people, i agree, the scorpian clubman challenge would be best to start off with doing only a few events a year to start with and alot of pay and play days practicing, and buy a cheap winch package that would do for now and enter into the standard class. possibly even going winching for somone else then id learn alot there too, but id prolly be too green for that.

above all, im not there for winning, ill be there if i enjoy it, if i dont ill just not bother. the main reason im swaying more toward off roading events is ive stopped racing motocross (not many meetings in yorkshire bar from amca) and want something else to submurge my self into.

so your telling me - just to get this straight , that you spent including vehicle 2500 to get your competition motor up and running... what did that 2500 buy you.... was it done in one hit or over a period of years, months as and when you get the dosh to pay for stuff.

plus you need to consider the down time of the motor from breakages - - ok 2500 to start then shortly followed after a couple of events 200 quid on new ropes etc etc.. new alternator, belts - servicing, tyres - - the list goes on - - it may be easy to get it to a level of abilitly but what about keeping it there... now we are talking money - and thats without the actual event costs etc.

Sorry Nick but yes you will.....

Thanks to the team once again for a great day out, fantastic. :i-m_so_happy:

Im convinced thats the best "all round site" we do, with something for everyone, ands it "up North"

Thanks to Big Blue for not doing a depth test in one of the double punches up near the car park,

See you all soon. :P

Boothy, you know how apologetic I was on Sunday. Yes that particular bit was not checked as it was part of the tracks that Tong use for their play days. Combine this with the fact that during the planning visit I had spent over five hours walking and we all know I am built for that, so yes I did forget to check the depth of the puddle.

However there was much less water than I am sure you all expected!!!

I promise to have an especially deep puddle just for you at Slindon, even if I have to dig it myself!!

If anyone is still interested, I have made a list in the Members Vehicles Forum.