Protecting the 90 hardtop - need advice

SteveG

I want to protect the hardtop sides, mostly against tree damage that you pick up either laning or sites with lots of trees! :):)

So, I already have a front roll cage section off a 50th 90..

front.jpg

So what I was thinking was to fit this and extend it with some extra lengths of cds tubing down the whole side of the hardtop. a bit like this... ;)

sidewithmess.jpg

Only neater and in tube not paint! :) Now if I do this do I just simply bolt the ends of the tube to the hardtop so that the whole thing still flexes and gives or do I put a bracing bar from one side to the next?

I don't want to go the whole way of putting a cage in for now, as the 90 is dual purpose and I don't want lengths of tube running all over the place in the back taking up space etc and also for the costs.

What does everyone think?? Ideas etc??

btw I'll also be adding Simon's side bars down the length of the sides.

Cheers

Steve

Agreed,

I think it looks horrible, BUT it DOES work, so its a case of living with uit

Also consider MANTECd window meshs, or WVA too, they will help the glass stay in place (a bit More :huh: )

Simons Bars are an exellent piece of kit IMHO and will help as you know deflect trees etc from the bodywork, nicely made (as his all his stuff) and frankly cheap - try mking them gfor the money if you "Price" you time.

Lastly unsure as to how effective the steps you have now would be vs proper side bars, depends on strength of units and mountings etc but consider this too..

HTH

NIge

Like this you mean

It would certainly do the job, but i don't think it looks that nice to be honest :blink:

Looks ugly and won't be that effective IMHO. Steve, what about a Safety Devices, or simerlar, full external cage? There's no bars inside, it offers some roll over protection and superb bodywork protection. Noth Off Road do a nice looking one and they'd also be able to add a bar to go arround the back of the hard top to protect the back of the vehicle. Also, with this set up you could add in diagonals at a later date when you want them.

I know my cage doesn't offer massive roll over protection but its a lot better than standard and I've done very little damage to the hard top (one very small dent when I slid backwards into a tree).

Thanks for comments so far.

What a bunch of tarts -"it won't look good" :):):)

Lastly unsure as to how effective the steps you have now would be vs proper side bars, depends on strength of units and mountings etc but consider this too..

Wake up Nige :P:P this is mine, pics were just to show 50th front section

hardtopbeforesuspension.jpg

The bar is there to stop the roof crumpling, as I have seen numerous times - I don't see why it won't be effective at that Will. Personally I don't like the external SD cage. The trees tend to be forced outside vertical bars and then spring back in. It also prevents me from fitting Si's side bars and lastly cost.

Cheers

Steve

The one in Dave's picture is Bos's one which ties into the cage so is stronger than just having the outer part. That said, if you're not going for a full cage then anything like that tube will be far far better than just leaving the roof there - you don't need it to be bombproof if it's only going to lean on a tree gently to keep the roof the right shape! Make the roof/spreader plates a decent size and I can't see it being a problem...

Richard

PS. I don't think it looks bad, I wouldn't mind something similar on mine to protect the alpine windows! :D

The bar is there to stop the roof crumpling, as I have seen numerous times - I don't see why it won't be effective at that Will. Personally I don't like the external SD cage. The trees tend to be forced outside vertical bars and then spring back in. It also prevents me from fitting Si's side bars and lastly cost.

Cheers

Steve

Steve, I'm just worried that if the vehicle's at an angle or if there are overhanging trees you'll damage the top part of the roof. If you had bars the went along the top of the radius of the roof too that'd give much more protection IMHO.

Doesn't Simon do roof sliders as well as side sliders?

I am sure he was looking for willing models for his kit a little while back.

I'd say they'd be your best bet and I am sure you could negociate a bit of a discount.... :lol:;)