no drive

wats the fluid like in the clutch fluid res if its a grey color the internal are fooked an you need a newy either the top or bottom one

if it is it will give the affect that the clutch is busted

dave

fliud is fine, system works & no leaks.

Split the gearbox/engine this morning & found the culprit, pressure cover was intact but the centre of the friction plate could be moved about, after removing both parts, this is the problem

1st photo centre of friction plate ripped out,all the springs are intact unbroken.

2nd photo close up of friction plate centre.

can't get a new clutch until monday as my local parts man is away.

also found the crank spigot bush was totally destroyed too, no damage to the gearbox 1st motion shaft though, release bearing is a bit rumbly but no play & clutch operating fork [Les H type] is intact.

in all a good mornings work.

post-20-1224330153_thumb.jpg

post-20-1224330373_thumb.jpg

I would suggest too much power Ralph... Ease off that right foot matey ! :)

Well and truly foobard... Nothing to do with the weight in the truck is it ?

Hope it all goes together ok fer yas..

Come to think of it, why are clutch plates made as they are? Why can't they be one "Nige" thickness of steel with the splined centre and two faces of slip material ?

What do the springs actually do ?

It's all slip or grip so surely they can't be essential !

Neil

can't be the weight of my 110 as all 130 200/300Tdi's use that friction plate & they run at much higher gross weights than me. less power than a 300Tdi too, it was fine on the drive from my mate Ade's [Earl on here] via Swindon to here.

the springs absorbed driveline vibrations & also meant to help absorb snatch loading on the clutch.

What make is that busted plate Ralph?

OEM LR130 heavy duty 8 spring friction plate by Valeo. it's only done around 33,400 miles & just over 2 years. in one of my photo's it shows a made date of 22/01/06

I don't know if AP Driveline [formerly Borg & Beck] do a similar type.

The TD5 engine has a dual-mass flywheel. The plate is solid, but the flywheel is what takes up the shock loading when the clutch is released.

TD5 plate-

The plate is sitting on the cover the wrong way up - before some clever dick spots it and thinks I put it together wrong :P

post-2-1224348036_thumb.jpg

Les.

Do you know Ralph that I was talking to Pauly who now does my work for me and also works on Rachels Discovery.

Her Discovery did 160,000 on the original clutch, she did a lot of motorway work.

However Pauly passed the comment the he has never changed a Tdi clutch because it was worn out. Always, like yours and Rachels the centers rip out.

Why anybody ?

mike

Do you know Ralph that I was talking to Pauly who now does my work for me and also works on Rachels Discovery.

Her Discovery did 160,000 on the original clutch, she did a lot of motorway work.

However Pauly passed the comment the he has never changed a Tdi clutch because it was worn out. Always, like yours and Rachels the centers rip out.

Why anybody ?

mike

I've only changed previous clutches because it was slipping or just as in this case not working, seems strange that the so called heavy duty 130 unit [as mine is] breaks up like it has.