the change back to v8 from diesel

GARY ANDREWS

just wondering why the migration back to v8s,after we changed from them to diesels. 2009 going to see more LS1 ect and portals than enough mine included i hope. just wondering has the diesel lost its place should i be going for a v8 for 2009. or will i be going back to the over heating and misfiring.not against the v8 love them to death just want to fit the right motor cheers gary

I reckon its because big power from petrols is cheap and easy to achieve, add a EDIS or megasquirt and you have a pretty rteliable and almost waterproof engine with bits a plenty from the US markets.

Big power diesels are few and far between, the nice onces like the TDV6 and TDV8 and so over-integrated into the vehicle removing them and making them run stand alone is almost impossible, or certainly only for those with very deep pockets.

Hi Gary,

you mention some people are using the LS1, do you know what gearboxes they are using ?

I sometimes get asked but the only option I can see is the 4L80E autobox and the adapter kit to mate it to the LT230 from 'Marks Adapters' in australia, but this works out very long.

Dave,

I keep looking at doing this but with a manual, and I found the only suitable option for mine was LS*, fitted to a Tremec TKO600, you can then fit this to an LT230 with an adaptor from Rakeway.

(The TKO600 is a 5speed manual and rated at 600lb/ft, and is available with a number of shifter locations and ratios)

This is about as short as you can get the setup from what I found.

Dont know about the Auto's.

Hope this helps.

Pete.

Hi Gary,

you mention some people are using the LS1, do you know what gearboxes they are using ?

I sometimes get asked but the only option I can see is the 4L80E autobox and the adapter kit to mate it to the LT230 from 'Marks Adapters' in australia, but this works out very long.

Mouse uses a LS1 and "Tremec TKO500 running a clutch the size of Hampshire" :P

I have a customer > ROADCRAFT UK < run by Brian Nichols in Lancing Sussex who import US engines and transmissions he used to manufacture Cobra kits using the Rover V8 and Daytona kits using the Jag V12. Our involvement was laser cut parts for the kit cars.

http://www.roadcraftuk.co.uk/index.asp?kee...=1&PageID=1

Marks 4wd seem to produce the parts to adapt chevvy v8's to ZF's and presumably the LT77. I would have thought a hard shove on throttle would make a loud bang though.

It also may be due to the fact that challenge vehicles are becoming far more "extreme" :lol::ph34r: (sorry) and as such the vast majority are trailered to events now so mpg is a non issue. In the days where many drivers drove to and from events the diesel was very attractive.

It also may be due to the fact that challenge vehicles are becoming far more "extreme" :lol::ph34r: (sorry) and as such the vast majority are trailered to events now so mpg is a non issue. In the days where many drivers drove to and from events the diesel was very attractive.

TBH with the relative prices of fuel and the "performance" of many challenge spec vehicles (strange gearing, heavy kit, knobbly tyres, aerodynamics of a branch of IKEA), I don't think there's so very much in the MPG issue these days. Tweak a diesel to give decent power and your MPG advantage starts to tail off anyway.

pritty much what i was thinking so would the general consensus be for me to go with v8 keep it coming cheers

You do what you like - no-one can tell you what you want, that's how we end up with chequebook clone challenge trucks :rolleyes:

Cheap power = Rover V8

For the tight of wallet / terrified of electricity = TDI

Ultimate bang for buck = American V8

Wildcard = whatever you can turn up from the scrapyard for cheap

Of course, that's just my view...

I think its due to the fact that V8's (mainly) electrics have come on alot and water is not so much of an issue and HP's are easy sort from the LS1 and 2's 400 odd in near stock form and arnt big bucks in the grand sceem of things.

As for the trans isue why not run a TH400 and LT230 or an Atlas or dana 300 something alone those lines??? The LS engine is certainly best for you £££ for money in and power out.

Hi Gary,

Hi Dave - It's a TH400 and a lt230 with a welded centre diff for me - pretty bomb proof ? I hope ;)

There's a guy doing these adapters for the - th400 to lt230 in Sheffield much cheaper than Marks adapters

Its Brian at American Parts -

Cheers Rizla,

2 things put me off the TH400,

with the adapter it works out quite long and the front prop is quite tight,

also being a 3 speed do you not find the gears too far apart causing a flat spot ? or maybe this is less of a problem if you have bags of torque.

Ideally we would like to get a 4L60E in there with a shortish adapter, this would :

pull the engine back for beter weight distribution

have the 4 speed, so closer ratios

cheapish box from the US, easily strengthened if required

control with the compushift so it's tip-tronic

I think this would be good for the racing and challenge guys,

you can loose the tailshaft section from a 2wd 4L60E and use a Novak adaptor to get it onto a Septic case - not pricey, reasonably compact

might want to look at the ratings though... ;)

I saw a steel TH400 to LT230 adaptor a few months back that apparently was commecially available in the UK..... shame it wasnt parallel in any plane though and had caused transmission devestation in the short time it was on the road :(

I wonder what will be fashionable next year.. :lol:

I reckon that with a bit of fun you could have a 4 - 5 or 6 pot Diesel with more power than you would fever need, and be able to package it better!

May not be as cheap for the initial motor but would have **** loads of power and the torque to pull the arms off of King Kong, Remember that US crate motor hp usually ain't the same as "real" hp :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Although it would never sound the same as a good old V8!

Lara