How slow?

I asked this question some time ago on another forum and just got told off for it! However I do have a genuine reason for asking! The guy from the LR dealer told me you could "get to 30mph through the gears without touching the accelerator" in a TD5. Why you would want to I have no idea but I tried it and mine won't do it at all. Below 20 in 4th is a no go for a start.

What's the minimum speed that a Defender TD5 will drive at on a flat road in 4th gear?

:blink: Putting a Landy to this test (Defender in this case) is just like testing fate.. At 4th gear my car simply starts jumping as if I have "Kangarooed" it. Why put the timing belt to such a test?. I might be wrong though but maybe there are others better at this than me!! :blink:

It's a trick that can be done to a greater or lesser degree on any car with anti-stall (which I think includes all diesels and, surprisingly my 3.9 V8 :) ). It does require some careful use (abuse?) of the clutch in the higher gears though to prevent kangarooing. After changing up you keep slipping the clutch and accelerating until you make tickover revs when the clutch will be out, you then change up again and repeat.

I would have no idea what speed/gear you can manage - I guess that depends on which engine, the tickover speed, gearing, road surface etc. I regularly pull away in this manner in my Disco 200tdi ("Smokey Joe") to try to avoid filling the neighbour's houses with smoke in a morning. I only need to go as far as third though before the engine starts to pick up though. In my case it wouldn't manage fourth because by the time I am in third I am going up hill and it struggles with that. Mind you it is only running on two cylinders at the time!

Just my experiences - others may vary!

Rog

I was just thinking mine may have something wrong with it as if you let it die down to idle speed in 4th (high range) it starts to shunt badly. Then again it's not something you would do in normal driving. It's only that the dealer told me it would do it....maybe he wanted to sell me a new engine.

I asked this question some time ago on another forum and just got told off for it! However I do have a genuine reason for asking! The guy from the LR dealer told me you could "get to 30mph through the gears without touching the accelerator" in a TD5. Why you would want to I have no idea but I tried it and mine won't do it at all. Below 20 in 4th is a no go for a start.

What's the minimum speed that a Defender TD5 will drive at on a flat road in 4th gear?

It will get to more like 25MPH, as said with precise use of the clutch.

You can happily pull away in high range third with no throttle, then change up through the box. As previously said you have to feather the clutch slowly out.

From memory tick over in 5th is about 25mph, about 20 in 4th.

As also said it has no real point/purpose.

Mark.

I found when the engine is warm, I can let my TD5 'crawl' in 5th at idle, which is about 50 kph or 25-30mph. I often used this feature when slowing down and entering a town, 'cause it corresponds to the legal speed inside city limits over here.

Needless to say this only works on level ground and with standard tyres, not 37".

The TD5 engine in my Defender has an off-beat lumpiness at low RPM/idle and it is this that causes the shunting. (i.e r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r as opposed to rrrrrrrrrrrr ) don't laugh! Is this normal for the TD5? It's OK in low range 1/2/3 (no shunting at idle when rolling along)

I do know that it was used as a demonstrator and it was probably not run in, plus the boost had been turned up on the wastegate. (since returned to the correct setting) It's now done 16,000 miles.

The TD5 engine in my Defender has an off-beat lumpiness at low RPM/idle and it is this that causes the shunting. (i.e r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r as opposed to rrrrrrrrrrrr ) don't laugh! Is this normal for the TD5? It's OK in low range 1/2/3 (no shunting at idle when rolling along)

I do know that it was used as a demonstrator and it was probably not run in, plus the boost had been turned up on the wastegate. (since returned to the correct setting) It's now done 16,000 miles.

I think the noise you have is normal, from being on throttle to off throttle. If there is any suggestion of a hill it will shunt like a good un.

I would not say that it is best everyday driving practice; 25 MPH in 5th is a lttle slow for anything other than coasting to a halt.

Mark.

The vehicle will pull away in third (with careful use of the clutch) as described above, I tried it yesterday. Obviously you would not normally drive like that (plus allowing the vehicle to labour in too high a gear). It was just that the dealer went on about it and it made me think there may be a fault with my engine.

I'm sure there's no fault with it.

As has been said with careful use of the clutch you could probably do it.

I often pull away in 2nd where conditions allow to avoid the quick change, especially at bad junctions though I've no doubt this doesn't do the clutch any favours. Most recent diesels have anti-stall anyway, well more like anti idle where the ecu or body computer aims for a set idle speed and adjusts fuelling accordingly.