Video

white90

The mud soaked lap top/Gps on the dash I think would do me in

I think I may hold off on Jez's invatation for a bit.

Come on Jules,

Get your car sorted and go tourist class! still bit more extreme than an extreme thing but great fun!

:lol:

Brian's stranglehold? Who is Brian? Is this him? :)

Seriously, what do you mean?

Chris

He's refering to the organiser of the Bulldog Trophy who's limited next years event to 35" tyres max. Initially it was 34" max and there was a big furore over it and then he changed it to 35"

Personally I think he can do what he likes. If people don't like it they won't turn up, simple as that. If the event is still popular then what's the problem. IIRC the last 2 or 3 events have been won by teams on 33" BFG's anyway.

btw entertaining video Tony! - Can hovercrafts enter the Ladoga?? :P:P

Cheers

Steve :)

So this Brian (Hartley?), who made him in charge? How does he maintain this "strangle hold"? What, in short, is stopping you or anyone else from organising an event and running it the way YOU like? Surely it cannot be lack of support from potential entrants? Lack of a landowner willing to allow use of his land? In short, all the time that Brian is the only one with the minerals and/or inclination and ability to arrange events then he is going to be the one who makes the rules. In short, if you don't like what is on offer then sort out something you do like the idea of.

Chris

Arnis hit the windscreen wipers as he was trying to shut the engine down, its a 2.9 ford V6 so waterproofing petrol engines can be done ;) it was pulled out by Brent the German (bloke in the checked shirt) and Arnis was back in the competition in 27minutes

The Big Red Jeep is Margus Peets, his trade mark is competing in a white shirt - and he never gets dirty (git git git) but he is an awesome driver B)

The thing with imposing restrictions on events in the UK is its a bit like a slow boiled frog - pretty soon this country will only produce drivers than can compete with other little cars (no offence) and the playground gets smaller and smaller - Im not up for organising an event, I barely have time to sleep and I admire those that put the hours in so others can go and play, I just wish there were more people out there to help the sport advance by not being so narrow minded.

In the mean time I'll just keep heading east, it works out pretty much the same money and its cheaper than shipping my car to the other side of the world only to be penalised for having the wrong shaped corks hanging from my crash helmet..

As for the "portals churn the ground up more arguement" absolute carp - whats your ground pressure? I know mine and I know the average landrovers...

Jules and Lara - just go tourist or TR1 - easier route and a good chance of getting back without any serious probs.

This year is a biggy (10th anniversary) - so do it

or if anyones got a spare sponsor to help an almost financially devestated TR4 entrant please push them my way :blink:

As for the "portals churn the ground up more arguement" absolute carp - whats your ground pressure? I know mine and I know the average landrovers...

Portals make no difference to the ground pressure, that is down to rubber on (or off :) ) the road. The thing with portals is that they lift the diff off the road further and therefor create deeper ruts which will take longer to weather and disappear. I am not sying that this is a bad thing but I am sure some landowners will be more willing to put up with 15" ruts than 21"+ ruts.

Not wanting to teach you to suck eggs...

Chris

thanks for the lesson, I'll bear it in mind next time I drive over a swamp

out of interest how do you think I arrived at the ground pressure ?

could I use the same arguement that we should all be using low ground pressure vehicles? moosebuggies? karakats? argocats? are landrovers really appropriate?

Jez, I think the sport will evolve but we don't have the bottomless swamps that Ladoga have. I think portals will get used over here but on smaller trucks. Some of the massive machines are just tooooo big for tight forest sections. It'd be nice to see you run an event, i'm sure you wouldn't have to do all the work yourself.

P.S. Great vid, Tony.

Jez, I think the sport will evolve but we don't have the bottomless swamps that Ladoga have. I think portals will get used over here but on smaller trucks. Some of the massive machines are just tooooo big for tight forest sections. It'd be nice to see you run an event, i'm sure you wouldn't have to do all the work yourself.

P.S. Great vid, Tony.

hmmm

massive machine ?? a bobtailed RR??

137534.jpg

Will mate, there are plenty of trees in Russia, its not all wide open swamp! rock crawling, sand racing, forest and swamp are in every days stage, its a 1200km race not a 10km obstacle course - these cars aren't one trick ponies they are versatile and seriously well thought out bits of kit. Bear in mind that the Karelian forest is the size of the England............ think about that for a couple of minutes

Its easy to build a car to tick one of the boxes but the joy of Ladoga is that you just can't do that - the design has to be able to do its best to overcome each element. Margus's car is 88" long, has a turn capacity of 50 degrees - try that in a 93" defender with CV joints

Having said that my track width is an issue for the 2006 truck so mouse (the 2007 car) will have twin axle steer :D

Im not worried about the lack of evolution in this country, there are (and thankfully I know of many of them) a lot of bright bunnies out there building cool trucks, pushing in thier own way and trying innovative solutions as opposed to thumbing through a catalogue (no offence to those that do its just not my bag - I find it just breaks on me) - if the glitterati dont like these trucks I really cant see these lads building them being overly bothered.