Precleaners

geoffbeaumont

As ram tops seems to be hard to come by I was looking at sticking an air precleaner on the end instead - found some that could be made to fit (these ones looked promising), but no prices. I vaguely recall someone on here saying precleaners on snorkels had been tried and didn't work out. Anyone know if that's right, and if so why they didn't? Seems like a great idea to me... :)

Going by the crude engine capacity x rpm = flow rate calculation suggested by astro_al,

I reckon the range of flow rates for a 3.5 V8 are in the region of 50-402CFM, for a 3.9/4.0 56-460CFM and even something silly like a 4.8 will top out at 550CFM (not that I'm every likely to stick one in my truck... :( ). That's based on an idle speed of 800rpm and max of 6500rpm. The specs for the precleaners linked above give the flow rates for the various models (they stock other ranges but these ones were reasonably compact and wouldn't look too silly :) ) - there are none that quote a flow rate range anything like that large, which suggests to me that if I fitted one that wouldn't restrict air flow at high revs it wouldn't actually be spinning off anything much at the engines normal operating revs. For instance, the smallest one that will cater for a flow rate over 400CFM (KC91) has a minimum flow rate of 388CFM. On a 3.5 that roughly equates to 3140rpm, so the cleaner would only be working if you boot it?

I think I'm talking myself out of this idea, but I don't know how accurate my flow rates are. Does anyone have any personal experience to offer? I know these things work well on generators and the like, but they're running at more or less constant revs which makes things a whole lot easier...

I know somebody that used to run one on a 300Tdi 130 and I think he reckoned he had never had to change the air filter element. Not sure if he has one on his current Td5 130 but I think so.

I think the one he used was off a tractor of some sort? no idea what type though, I seem to think it was an oil-bath one but I might well have imagined that :)

A "cyclonic pre-cleaner" to use the correct term, will remove between 30-70% of dust by mass (depending on flow rate and efficiency of the cyclone) before it gets to your filter.

It will induce a small extra pressure drop on the intake (but not much). If you never drive in dusty conditions you may as well just fit an air ram.

The smaller the pre-cleaner, the higher the flow velocity through it and therefore the higher the dust removal efficiency (but also higher pressure drop). The standard (Donaldson) one for most engines of 4L or so is made for a 3" snorkel tube, and should provide more than enough flow for a V8.

I fitted a Donaldson pre-cleaner to my Safari 1 or 2 years ago (soon after I got the snorkel itself).

Never went back to the original air-ram.

Works grand.

I leave the airflow science to Ben as it's not my job

;)

OK, I just caught up with the guy I know here who has one on a 130

The precleaner he uses on his current Td5, on a Safari snorkel, is off a JCB 3CX, just the right size for the Safari and only about 50% bigger than a normal mushroom snorkel top so it doesn't look like some alien spaceship just landed on your snorkel

Judging by the amount of crud in it, it works quite well :D it spins the muck out into a collection bowl which you empty every so often

Don't know how big an engine a 3CX has in it but I guess bigger than a Td5 probably so capacity shouldn't be a problem.

This may seem over kill but my Dakar rally freelander has three air filters.

Due to the Sand issues in the Sahara.

Main Engine TD4 filter ITG conected to a RR3 filter (ITG) where the battery would be then a snorkel over the screen to the rear of the truck and in the pick up bed is a nother RR3 air box to hold a paper air filter from a 4.4v8 to remove the very fine sand and general carp. yes cleaning between events is a pain.

But it works very well.

Before anyone says anything the whole system has been worked out by ITG so they would know more about air flow than I ever will.

OK, I just caught up with the guy I know here who has one on a 130

The precleaner he uses on his current Td5, on a Safari snorkel, is off a JCB 3CX, just the right size for the Safari and only about 50% bigger than a normal mushroom snorkel top so it doesn't look like some alien spaceship just landed on your snorkel

Judging by the amount of crud in it, it works quite well :D it spins the muck out into a collection bowl which you empty every so often

Don't know how big an engine a 3CX has in it but I guess bigger than a Td5 probably so capacity shouldn't be a problem.

The newer ones don't even have a bowl - they eject the crud out the side. So pretty much zero maintenance :)

JCB engine is probably bigger, but does it rev as high?

if its specifically designed then it doesnt seem to be a problem. Such as Jules setup.

I can only comment from my experience which is that the XD Waterproofed variants with the snorkel and large mushroom top (as opposed to the new Mantec style you see fitted to std XD nows) meant a drop in economy and top mph by about 10%. They worked though, evident of the dust trails out the ejection ports. Bear in mind this is 10% worse than std XD with the twin side air intakes bits on the wings.

will try and find a pic.

The precleaner he uses on his current Td5, on a Safari snorkel, is off a JCB 3CX,

JCB spec sheet for a 3CX super sitemaster shows engine size as 4.4 litres :D just a bit bigger than a Td5 :lol:

JCB spec sheet for a 3CX super sitemaster shows engine size as 4.4 litres :D just a bit bigger than a Td5 :lol:

Probably only does about 2500rpm flat out though, if anything like a traaaaaaactor (our Case 685 which is about 4 litres does about 2200rpm IIRC), so the overall air consumption is probably similar to a 2.5 litre Land Rover diesel. It seems to work well anyway.

Probably only does about 2500rpm flat out though, if anything like a traaaaaaactor (our Case 685 which is about 4 litres does about 2200rpm IIRC), so the overall air consumption is probably similar to a 2.5 litre Land Rover diesel. It seems to work well anyway.

Just had another look at the 3cx supersitemaster spec sheet it quotes 92bhp, rated rpm 2200 with max torque 287lbft @1300rpm,

a bit smaller hp wise but more grunt where it's neeeded.

You could always get something sent over from these guys:

http://www.donaldsonfilters.com.au/product...1ID=1&intT2ID=1

Found some dealers for them in this country. No prices, but worth investigating. Looks like they do standard snorkel rams too, if I decide not to go down the precleaner routes.

Just found this on flea bay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/cyclone-snorkel-top-...bayphotohosting

it quotes a few figures with it too.

Not sure if this is of any help to you at all.

Saw that last week - it helps in that I can get a better idea what that size of precleaner looks like in place, but not so sure about the flow rate. Just because someone supplies it doesn't mean it's up to the job...

Me neither but I'm happy with it and found out a dealer is 20 mins far from me,

so I recently got spares,good service and easy to find.

:)

Winter cold killed the plastic bowl...

:rolleyes:

...or,better,I did,slapping it to get the snow out...

:angry:

Me neither but I'm happy with it and found out a dealer is 20 mins far from me,

so I recently got spares,good service and easy to find.

:)

Winter cold killed the plastic bowl...

:rolleyes:

...or,better,I did,slapping it to get the snow out...

:angry:

They do a self cleaning one now (ie. it chucks the muck out a side vent instead of collecting it in a bowl). If I go down the precleaner route I'll be getting that type 'cause I'm lazy and it needs less maintenance :D

Yup,I had seen it at the time in the catalogue.

Useful,but it was too high IIRC

(a la Wolf above...well,ok,not so high but...)

It's an option anyway.

Good for African use & abuse.

Yup,I had seen it at the time in the catalogue.

Useful,but it was too high IIRC

(a la Wolf above...well,ok,not so high but...)

I'll probably be making my own snorkel anyway, so I can adjust for that to some extent - just make the pipe a bit shorter :)

It's an option anyway.

Good for African use & abuse.

Or Machynlleth in a dry spell...*

*Yes, I do realise the folly of building a truck to cater for dry weather in Wales... :rolleyes: