Disco 2 axles, worth swapping?

roguevogue

At one time it seemed that Disco 2 axles would be the next big thing. Ashcroft introduced their rather pretty CV upgrade which, coupled with a pair of ARBs, makes a nice strong axle setup.

The problem seemed, at the time, that axles were fairly rare and therefor expensive but as time has gone on they have become positively common.

My question is, how come I don't know anyone who uses them, how come the only set I ever heard of directly didn't get fitted? What's the down side that I must be missing?

They seem to be more common in the comp safari world, though I'm not sure what upgrades are usually applied. This may be partly due to the desire for the disco2 type radius arms, although the car I co-drive in uses disco2 arms fitted to modded 300 series axles. I understand that service parts, seals bearings etc, are rather more expensive for disco2 axle but not had the need to investigate this for myself.

At one time it seemed that Disco 2 axles would be the next big thing. Ashcroft introduced their rather pretty CV upgrade which, coupled with a pair of ARBs, makes a nice strong axle setup.

The problem seemed, at the time, that axles were fairly rare and therefor expensive but as time has gone on they have become positively common.

My question is, how come I don't know anyone who uses them, how come the only set I ever heard of directly didn't get fitted? What's the down side that I must be missing?

Nick, I think it is mainly down to the rare point. That coupled with the fact that if you are doing a custom axle installation you could choose other axles (like yours) which are cheaper, stonger out of the box and have lockers as standard. I've also heard they do have a habit of bending....

The main benifit with the D2 axle was the CV and front halfshaft size - there's little gain on the back axle and bth diffs are the same size as standard Rover. A hybrid DII Salisbury would be interesting but is it really worth it when 101 axles are pretty cheap!

Although a different application -

Mate of mine races and fitted a pair,

has said from day one wished he hadn't,

unsure exactlty why, I KNOW he says they absolutely eat bushes,

but I can't rememebr what the other reasons were,

I also know he says they are over rated for what they are in many ways :(

I'll ask :) and report back

Nige

The reason is a D2 axles is ten times quicker to strip and repair than a conventional axle

D2 axles can bend more easily than a conventional one but that on its own will not stop a racer.

they are suppose to eat bushes but I don't have experience of that myself. I have Tomcat reinforced axles on my racer and would like D2 axles on mine but can't justify it to myself.

As for eating bushes that's more about the suspension arms you use (and how the suspension is setup) rather than the axles per say. However we've done about 8 events on the same set of bushes that where in the racer when it was purchased and they are still fine. There are quite a bit more expensive than 'normal' bushes when the time comes to replace.

The life of bushes on a D2 axle is vastly superior to any Defender axle setup, and thats coming from a place where replacing suspension bushes is a way of life even for vehicles that don't go off the road :) bushes on all the D2s I deal with last for ever compared to anything else so if the axles "eat them" there must be something wrong with the way they are set up because they shouldn't.

My D2 is still on the original bushes at 38k miles, most Defenders will be just about ready for their second set of most bushes and their third or fourth set of radius arm bushes by that stage.

280000 miles! on my DII, all bushes still original and OK...

O I forgot...I've changed my fronnt shocks a month ago because one of the bushes had a little play. Thought it was best to change complete shocks rather than just bushes after 280K miles.

As for eating bushes that's more about the suspension arms you use (and how the suspension is setup) rather than the axles per say. However we've done about 8 events on the same set of bushes that where in the racer when it was purchased and they are still fine. There are quite a bit more expensive than 'normal' bushes when the time comes to replace.

I did say I don't have expiriance of them eating bushes myself. My own D2 has done 170,000 miles on the original bushes and exhuast is still factor funily enough and yet my 65,000 mile P38 feels like it could do with bushes and the exhaust is rotten through :huh::rolleyes:

I had a pair and let them go, even though that had only done 6k miles, what put me off is the exposed u/j on the front and they cost arm and leg (perhaps britpart make em now though),

The theory we came out with is for racing they're great (tony tiger), but for a challenge motor when you're up the wheel top in grit and grime, these exposed rubber covered u/j thing'ies aren't going to last very long.

Sorry if I upset the racer's, but your more splash and dash than sh*ite and sink challenge motor. looking at the casing and after speaking to Bowlers I know they're a stronger option in your case and they just fit them straight on, or did.

The one's I had (of an 05) had 24 spline diffs but only single crosspin.

Any CV with a rubber gatter is a weak point on any car.

I have seen steel covers for them but can't remember were I saw them.

Yes racers don't site bogged up to there screens in mud but challenge trucks don't take anywere near the pounding a racer does.

EG bending a disco axles with 205 tyres on