3 defenders stolen from sheffield

marsie

The issue is, even if the serials are left on a unit, when you've got your hands in your pockets standing looking at a part in some chap's yard and he wants half the normal price for it "for a quick sale", it's tempting. You know you're risking seizure (or someone noticing that they used to own your winch etc) but money talks too. I've been offered bits in the past which I'm pretty sure are nicked, so I moved on. When I was a student, that was hard - £100 off an axle is big money when you haven't got any.

Like everyone on here I could ID my own truck if I was asked to, but when's that likely to occur? We need to enable the fuzz to pick out the dealers and that means quick, universal IDing. Smart water's a good plan - anyone got any links? Maybe a group buy (not like the mig welder / bottle jacks / stoves / whatever it was)?

Smartwater is basically a sort of invisible paint that you err paint onto your nearest and dearest (Land Rover, bling alloys, etc - all the expensive stuff). It contains a unique marker like DNA. No two bottles of it are the same. I believe all police forces have detectors they use on items they recover (I think it initially glows under ultraviolet), but a detailed exam will id the DNA and link it to the owner. A lot of businesses are also using it linked to their alarm system, so that when they get broken into, a very fine mist of the stuff is sprayed about and gets on anything and everything, including the ne'er do well. If they go anywhere near an ultraviolet lamp, they light up like Blackpool illuminations. Again, samples can be taken from their clothes and body and linked to the owner of the goods/business.

Click on the link above for all the official blah.

Doug's 90 was recovered the next day - found at the side of the road - I was told that someone rang him using the No on the side of the motor! The other two vehicles were not recovered. Suppose that a well stickered up motor with your name and number on the side is a bit recognisable.

Adrian

im worried now i only live about 20 mins from stocksbridge.

i hope you get them back in one piece but its more than likely theyll be stripped, especially seing as one is highly modified and would stand out like a sore thumb.

I think you should be worried. Somebody in the area has clearly worked out how to profit from defenders, more than likely shipping them overseas partially stripped (to get more on a shipping container).

Get more security!

Any idea how they got into them, how they start them and how they got the steering locks off.

please don't add that info here, as you never know who is reading this forum as a guest without being logged in, to many LR vehicles go wandering without their rightful owners, we don't want to give the thieves any more info than they may already know.

please don't add that info here, as you never know who is reading this forum as a guest without being logged in, to many LR vehicles go wandering without their rightful owners, we don't want to give the thieves any more info than they may already know.

Fair comment.

glad too hear they all came back

a friend of a friends disco 3 got knicked was later found on bricks interior gone and a few other bits missing. thing was he had the keys and there was no damage to ignition etc, but had taken it into a garage a few days before so police are following that up

also these little things should be band ful stop if any scum bag used there brain most cars with trackers will disapper

police round me do nowt for vehical thefts my old work had its hilux nicked few years back was on a travellers site a few feilds away police never went for it and we were advised not to aswell, didnt stop are customers going and getting it, farmers plus tractors plus chains round caravans draw bars = travelers scared off an gone in an hour :) and the company with the jhilux back all be it needing a new barrel

dave