MOT question re wheel spats / tyres sticking out

Ben Spray

Hi All..

Not 100% sure if this is the right section for this!?

Need to get my 90 in for an MOT earlier than expeced (long story but I need to use this for work for a while), but currently has no wheel spats fitted (waiting to be fitted but need to do some more work before I put them on but want to try for the MOT now if I can), the tyres stick out maybe 2 inches past the bodywork at the mo, sure there is something about the tread needing to be covered from above but dont know if thats a road regs type thing or an MOT failure??

The only other thing for MOT is I have a hole in the top of the footwell, guess this needs welding but Im worried about setting fire to the dash on the inside, would a riveted repair be acceptable for MOT (dont have alot of time to remove the dash at the mo) or shall I remove the dash (or somehow protect it) and weld it...?

Cheers

Ben

Cheers

I do have a set of 7.50 16 michelin XPC on wolf rims which are about an inch less offset than the 8 spokes and the tyres are thinner being more of a road tread than the MTs on there... could give that a try but have a feeling they will still stick out a little...

hole is a reasonable size unfortunatly, its basically where the footwell and and the vertical section meet, from that line and about an inch down by 3 inches along the length there so will need a plate of some sort.

cheers guys,

Yeah I looked over the handbook before posting re tyres as I couldnt see anything in there either, I'll look into fitting the other wheels and if not may give the mot station a call...

Thought it may come to that re the footwell... lets hope for a rain free weekend then :-)

Cheers

Ben

Yes after a bit of research it appears that the tyres aren't an MOT failure as such, but they are against the "use and construction" act of 1986.

The police can stop you and even prosecute you for driving a dangerous vehicle.

From what I have read if the MOT station does fail you - you can complain, but at the end of the day it's still an unroadworthy vehicle so I'm not sure where you would stand

I have always understood the MOT could pull you up on exposed tyre but could be wrong. However, fitting the smaller wheel/tyre combination may go some way to help rather than your present 'in your face ingnore me if you can' situation.

re the rust hole.

If the hole is not within 300mm of a body mount, suspension mount, seatbelt mount etc and there is no chance of you falling through the floor then you don't have to worry about it.

Steve

I have always understood the MOT could pull you up on exposed tyre but could be wrong. However, fitting the smaller wheel/tyre combination may go some way to help rather than your present 'in your face ingnore me if you can' situation.

They can't fail you unless it's in the book, and thanks to the magic of the interwebnets we are all able to read it: MOT Inspection Manual

The tread of the tyres are required to be always covered by a wheelarch or spat in the Construction and Use Regulations.

This is a safety issue for pedestrians and to stop the windscreens of other road users being obliterated by road filth.

Not only is it an MoT failure but you could be prosecuted!

Be careful out there! ;)

Bob.

Before Fridge got his a&se in gear and fitted spats he took his truck for a ticket (tyres hanging out in a BIG way), the inspector freaked out but couldnt find anything in the book, inspector then rang VOSA who told him to issue the MOT as wheel coverings were not an MOT issue.

merely a report

"my man" agrees with general opinion here. Re: tyres would issue ticket but Traffic Police will take a dim view. Footwell hole (assuming drivers side) needs to be welded given proximity to steering and pedals.

Yep - going to sort the wheels one way or another... will probably just stick the other wheels on and see how they fit.

the footwell did fail the MOT as it was close to the brake pedal mount so need to do something... think I will go with the weld and hose pipe plan unless I can get away with lots of rivets...

Cheers

Just to reiterate what was said above, spats are a C&U issue which could earn you a prohibition from a VOSA roadside inspector or an empowered traffic officer, but shouldn't be an MOT failure. However, you're breaking the law driving the vehicle to and from the test centre (especially since you've discussed it openly on an internet forum... ;))

There are a number of these idiosyncrasies - a vehicle will pass an MOT with no numberplates but it's obviously unacceptable on the road. Incidentally, mis-spaced or obscured numberplate (for example by dirt) is now a fixed penalty offence with three points , while there's no endorsable penalty for not displaying a numberplate, and just a £30 fine, although all of these vehicles will pass an MOT (so long as the rest of the vehicle conforms, obviously).

The MOT tester can only fail a vehicle by referring to a 'reason for refusal to issue a test certificate', and I've found in the past that where there's room for an opinion, you can 'negotiate'. For example, my steering rod was bent and in the straight-ahead position it touched the channel section bolted to the diff that LR laughingly call a guard - it'd taken the paint off the trackrod so he failed the car, but he couldn't point to a 'reason for refusal' when I asked him, so he was forced to pass the car. (It's now got Sumo bars on, but you get my point).

As Jez said, mine passed the MOT at VOSA's insistence and despite the tester being reluctant to pass it, yes it's a C&U failure and an eagle-eyed VOSA bod or particularly miserable plod may pull you but, when I asked a policeman he said they would just put a rectification notice on which would basically mean "Fit some spats & re-MOT it". Obviously the more you drive on the road the more likely you are to meet a VOSA van.

Just to reiterate what was said above, spats are a C&U issue which could earn you a prohibition from a VOSA roadside inspector or an empowered traffic officer, but shouldn't be an MOT failure. However, you're breaking the law driving the vehicle to and from the test centre (especially since you've discussed it openly on an internet forum... ;))

There are a number of these idiosyncrasies - a vehicle will pass an MOT with no numberplates but it's obviously unacceptable on the road. Incidentally, mis-spaced or obscured numberplate (for example by dirt) is now a fixed penalty offence with three points , while there's no endorsable penalty for not displaying a numberplate, and just a £30 fine, although all of these vehicles will pass an MOT (so long as the rest of the vehicle conforms, obviously).

The MOT tester can only fail a vehicle by referring to a 'reason for refusal to issue a test certificate', and I've found in the past that where there's room for an opinion, you can 'negotiate'. For example, my steering rod was bent and in the straight-ahead position it touched the channel section bolted to the diff that LR laughingly call a guard - it'd taken the paint off the trackrod so he failed the car, but he couldn't point to a 'reason for refusal' when I asked him, so he was forced to pass the car. (It's now got Sumo bars on, but you get my point).

He didn't look hard enough with regard to your bent track rod.

Lock to lock check....

A component of the steering mechanism, road wheels or tyres fouling any part of the vehicle. So it should have failed.

But yes, you're right in what you say, if it's not in the manual as a reason for rejection, then it can't be failed.

As a tester i issue a lot of advisory notices, things i can't fail a vehicle on but i know are otherwise illegal or require attention. Everything i do is logged and can be called up by a vosa inspector, so you can't deny knowledge of something reported on the MOT even if it passed.

As a tester i issue a lot of advisory notices, things i can't fail a vehicle on but i know are otherwise illegal or require attention. Everything i do is logged and can be called up by a vosa inspector, so you can't deny knowledge of something reported on the MOT even if it passed.

This was pointed out to be a while back by a tester, there is potentially serious consiquences to this.

If you are advised of a fault, for instance tyres which are legal but only just, but don't bother changing them. If you have an accident several month later were the worn tyres are found to be below the limit and to have been a factor in the accident you are in more serious trouble since you KNEW about the fault but chose to do nothing. You may well find the insurance may refuse to pay out as well since you are required to maintain the vehicle in a fit condition. The issue is that you knew (and looking at the records they can prove you knew) about a fault but did not fix it in a reasonable time (not sure what would be considered a reasonable time).

Just tio add to the aleady large number of replies on the tyres.

My Series 1 has had the tyres sticking out of the arches for the last 25 years and never failed an MOT.

It is a C&U thing but have you seen some of the LRs in the pictures on this forum??

I didn't even get stopped when I passed a Police car with a set of Yokahama Mud tyres on which were half way out of the arches!

If you use std LR wheels and std size tyres they should actualy fit inside the arches without eyebrows although a little tight.

Marc.

My Series 1 has had the tyres sticking out of the arches for the last 25 years and never failed an MOT.

I personally would not do that as I have consideration for other road users. I would not like to be sprayed with road filth by tyres that were not covered by wheel arches and mud flaps.

Remember when trucks were made to have these spray reducing mud flaps fitted to help prevent accidents due to excess spray?

Commonsense and consideration for other road users....otherwise it gives us all a bad name. :blink:

Bob.