work gloves

Ruuman

I'm after some decent work gloves. I use some makita rigger gloves at the mo and there pretty good if not a bit worn out.

only problem is they absorb the grease and oil which isn't great. There's obviously masses of "mechanic" gloves, just wondered what people recommend?

Cheers

Ruu

I'm after some decent work gloves. I use some makita rigger gloves at the mo and there pretty good if not a bit worn out.

only problem is they absorb the grease and oil which isn't great. There's obviously masses of "mechanic" gloves, just wondered what people recommend?

Cheers

Ruu

I use the "Mechanix" gloves both for working on the vehicle and when competing in winch events. There are very few jobs I can't do while wearing them as they are tight fitting and you don't lose too much feel. The palms are a light leather so they give some protection against sharp edges as well as protecting you from the cold when handling metal outside.

They are machine washable so when they get too dirty/oily they get washed with my overalls.

Cheap and cheerful for me! - Screwfix Builders Gloves Wash in warm water when greasy, or with my overalls. Still very wearable when soaking wet, and keep your hands relatively warm like that too - bit of a wetsuit effect with the rubber coating.

They're usually on special offer in the bins as you queue up to order at the trade counters.

at work we have 3 options :

1 - cotton gloves with millions of rubber dots on them, these are my favourite gloves as you can actually feel what you're doing with your fingers. the downside being the minute you touch mud / water / oil, your hands are soaked. still, i wear them, just use a good dose of swarfega at the end of each shift. i'm tempted to try latex gloves under them.....

2 - plastic gloves, a bit clumersome, but great for working when you don't need to be accurate... i.e. big spanners, chain tongs, stilsons and they're spot on :)

3 - leather gloves, these are pretty good, but the ones we get have a tight cuff, which annoys me when trying to put them on / take them off quickly...

we've had some trial runs of thing rubbery / plasticcy gloves but most of them can't take too long when dealing with greasy jobs.

if you want warm gloves, i use impact gloves or scaffolders leather gloves :)

G

I use these

29img_Full.jpg

They are much tougher than the polyester-cotton spec would suggest - once having saved my finger from a careless dab with the angle grinder!

I also like the fact that the third finger is shorter than the middle one which suits my anatomy better than a some industrial gloves in which they are the same length. The level of grip - even when oily - is good and they last well and wash nicely too.

Roger

I have had good stuff from Strauss-direct, a German company that has now set up a UK based mail order. They do a specific winter mechanics glove

although I have noit tired it myself. I have bought their Leather work gloves for winching and after 2 days winching at the Baskeville challenge found them to be extremely comfortable and spot on for the job.

Sorry but I cannot get links to the relevant pages on their website to work. If you go to www.Strauss-direct.co.uk and look under Personal Protection and then the gloves section the winter mechanic gloves are on the first page. The red & yellow leather ones I use for winching are on page 3

I use these

29img_Full.jpg

They are much tougher than the polyester-cotton spec would suggest - once having saved my finger from a careless dab with the angle grinder!

I also like the fact that the third finger is shorter than the middle one which suits my anatomy better than a some industrial gloves in which they are the same length. The level of grip - even when oily - is good and they last well and wash nicely too.

Roger

we use these-or at least very similar ones at work doing tree surgery. find them very useful-they keep grip in the wet and you can still do small fiddly jobs with them or climb a rope/tree. you can also pick them up for next to nothing.

and they keep your hands warm. the only draw back is they arnt water proof. although they do make a good liner for bigger gloves where your hands can slip out. but id recommend them to anyone

I bought a pair of these a while back. About half the price of the Irwin ones. They are lasting well although the suedey palms do get greasy.

Having just spent this last arctic weekend outside doing the head gaskets on a V8 I can say they are absolutely fantastic. No problem with holding small screws. Wouldn't have wanted to be holding icy spanners without them.