LED lights for defender

I got some LED bulbs for my Defender and discovered that they didn't work. I eventually found out the reason is that ALL the sidelights and flashers are wired up backwards. To explain, the positive should be the soft lead connection on the end of the base, and the earth should be the steel outer base itself. This doesn't matter with a normal incandescent bulb which works either way, but an LED (note the word diode) only works if the current flows through the right way. So rather than rewire the whole shebang I sold the bulbs to a car owner.

Why are led better ? I've had standard bulbs in mine for the last 6 years without a failure . Why go to the expense of led bulbs ?

primarily looking or something that lasts. with the standard lights, the bulb hulder corrode very fast and then they don't work. kinda sick of messing with them. thinking that LED are/can be sealed to make them water/muck proof.

cheers

spec

• 3 weeks later...

I have just changed most of my lights on my 03 110 to LED including interior, the light is far superior not just brighter but a different colour temperature so just seem a better light, I have had a problem getting the stop/tail light to work so I will now check the polarity to see if that is the problem. The main reason for changing apart from the life time and brightness is that they use about 1/3 of the power of a standard bulb, not a lot I know but the difference between jump starting if you leave the lights on or the kids turn the internal lights on!!

On an similar note I have also changed out my headlights for a set of HID units WOW I have never driven a landrover where I can see at night without the need for full beam the set cost me £80 off EBay a little expensive but very waterproof and a must as a safety feature alone again the light is a different colour and just takes the strain of your eyes.

I live in the countryside I know that’s not the norm according to the powers that be for a Landrover owner who would ever think a landrover that works for a living as well as gets used for enjoyment, must be 80% of them but going off on one there. Anyway the LED/HID change I have made is one of the easiest, most noticeable improvements although there have been many and I suspect many to follow!!! :rolleyes:

I went down the LED light route last year on my 90.

Rather than replacing the light units with LED units I replaced all the lamp units with new OEM ones and clear lenses and have bought a load of LED bulbs. I now have LED bulbs in my indicators, tail/brake lights, side lights, reverse light, and rear fog.

I have also replaced the interior light with an LED unit, which sits flush with the roof liner.

I have to say I am really impressed with the bulbs, you certainly can't say you didn't see my lights now. A lot of the LED bulbs you can get are a bit rubbish and often don't work, I would certainly recommend the guys I bought mine off they are brilliant.

they are called Ultra LED's

I have the 1Watt side light bulbs, 4Watt indicator and tail/break lights and have the 6Watt bulbs in the reverse and foglight (VERY bright)

On an similar note I have also changed out my headlights for a set of HID units WOW I have never driven a landrover where I can see at night without the need for full beam the set cost me £80 off EBay a little expensive but very waterproof and a must as a safety feature alone again the light is a different colour and just takes the strain of your eyes.

Except it's totally illegal on the road in the UK.

Jasong4110 be advised as mentioned HID conversion is not an option in UK or in any EU country .

If you are stopped by police , and the likely hood is increasing, due mop complaints , ( I also use a police forum) , you could well end up walking as you can be issued a immediate prohibition , on other than daytime use . So unless you want to risk having to abandon your pride and joy by the side of road , well worth removing HID units . I hope you view this post in the constructive manner it was intended .

Thanks for the advice guys, whilst not disputing your advice, I’m trying to understand why they are illegal? As I thought I had checked all of this out before fitting them, I’m probably one of the most law abiding people out there so will change them back this morning but again would like to understand where I went wrong.

The set I have are e marked and come with a certificate of conformity I have also changed the bowls for Hella ones with the deflector inside again e marked, will be a shame a its nice to see at night and haven’t had anyone flashing me so don’t think I am blinding anyone.

I might be wrong, but I think the Rangie self-leveller complies with the above?

So you'd just need the Rangie headlamp washer that's fitted to the SE, or am I missing something?

Sorry if this is OT...

Unfortunately to be legal for retro-fit they have to be..

• In a housing designed for HID not Halogen
  • Have a cleaning mechanism
  • Have a self levelling mechanism

Again saw all of this information on various web sites and thought i had complied.

The New Hella bowls I brought were designed for HID

I have fitted head lamp washer jets that work when I use the screen wash

my defender already had adjustable headlights so thought that this ticked that box.

would this not be the case or did i just go off on the wrong track? Althought since getting GPS doesn't happen so much these days!!

Unfortunately to be legal for retro-fit they have to be..

• In a housing designed for HID not Halogen
  • Have a cleaning mechanism
  • Have a self levelling mechanism

Actually no what you have stated here is the rule for manufacturers not after market, I am aware of several manufacturers who fit HID's aftermarket (dealaership fitted) because the law does not require self Levelling as it was impossible to fit self leveling equipment due lack of package space.

Actually no what you have stated here is the rule for manufacturers not after market, I am aware of several manufacturers who fit HID's aftermarket (dealaership fitted) because the law does not require self Levelling as it was impossible to fit self leveling equipment due lack of package space.

i've been pulled in my gti for having xenon headlights and they are factory fitted! "headlights are bright sir.....same as yours officer....goodevening!"

They cycle through the full movenment range on start up dependant on the height of the suspension. this is done so that they don't blind people when you have a load in the back. Retro fitting them carries the same rules as factory fit.

IF your are stopped you will have to produce and have the car tested at an MOT centre.

A better and legal option would be to have HID / xenon spot and fog lamps fitted like steveg.

Also forgot to add when I fitted the new lights I took the car to the local garage to get the headlights set up on the machine they use for MOT's to ensure the alignment was correct as I wasn’t sure where they needed to be, if different from the old marks on the screws (told you I took the law abiding bit seriously! :blush: ) the guy looked at what I had done and said he would pass them if it came in for an MOT, and wasn’t even sure why I had fitted the washer jets, incidentally don’t know why I didn’t do that change before as it was really easy (pump and a bit of pipe) and again makes a difference when the weather is not good.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Actually no, it's for aftermarket fitment dft guidelines. I wish I had it bookmarked now as I had to spend 30 secs googling for it again ;) ;) ....

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

Fact sheet: Aftermarket HID headlamps

December 2006

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The following is the legal rationale:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.

Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

If you require any further information regarding the regulations covered by this fact sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:

Transport Technology and Standards 6

Department for Transport

Zone 2/04

Great Minster House

76 Marsham Street

London

SW1P 4DR

Telephone: 020 7944 2078

Fax: 020 7944 2196

Email: TTS.enquiries@dft.gsi.gov.uk

Thanks Steve,

Then according to the above guidelines mine may well have been legal as I met all of the stated conditions?

Jason.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion.

I only posted up in the first place in case people were not aware about the illegalities of the retro-fit HID bulb kits.

What people actually do is their own choice.

Jason, I don't see that you are outside their 'reasonable application of the law' in this respect, though of course if PC Plod had had a bad day when he pulled you, technically you are outside of the law, I suppose it is your choice.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it, you've certainly tried your best to comply.

Thanks guys,

I have but the old units back in for now but left the HID kit in place, guess I need to look into it a bit more, thought i had ticked all of the boxes but clearly it was not that simple. I think the next stage is to write to DoT and ask for further clarification.

in sumary:

E marked bulbs

E Marked Bowl for HID

Leveling headlights

washer jets

aligned at the local MOT station.

I will see what they say and let you know.

hi

i have been following this with interest as the standard headlights on my truck are poor to say the least and i've been looking for replacements . From the regulations that have been posted the only bit that might cause a problem is the self leveling bit, for example when the load in the truck varies like with a trailer on.

I'm not sure how the new vehicles manage to do this T1g up mentioned the lights on his vw cycling when first started it is possible they use electronic gyroscopes to sense if the car is level then use that to set the head lights but this would be expensive for an aftermarket kit.

i would be interested in the response from DOT

matt