Auto Welding Mask

Night Train

Right, my old welding mask is on it's last legs and I want a new automatic one and could do with some advice please.

On Ebay they seem to go for anything between £30 and £250. What should I look for? Is there anything or type or brand that I should avoid? Is there anything that I should check for like range of sheilding and speed of reaction that would matter? Is there any reason why I shouldn't just get one at the cheaper end of the scale? Do I have to spend loads to be safe? Shoud I go to a proper equipment supplier or is an Ebay one ok?

I do mostly Arc welding as I no longer have the space or need for a decent mig set and gas bottle.

Thank you,

NT

If you've got the money spare buy a speedglas will last a lifetime plus an unbeatable warranty,

but if its for occasional use a cheapy will do fine, just make sure it goes to shade 12 if you are stick welding, my local welding spot does a basic solar powered one for about 80quid with a 2year warranty will get the make if you want?

Hi NT, here's my take:

You need to spend enough to avoid things with cheap optics. Thats the only part that matters, the rest is just plastic. Its all about the eyes, man!

Yes, the reaction speed is key. Avoid cheap ones for this reason. I had one once and they're carp. They react too slowly (even if you're not actually conscious of 'seeing it', you'll get flashed every time), and can be unreliable in operation. At the minimum, get branded optics. Lots of the mid-range (like 60-100 quid ish) stuff shares optics and just sticks it in a different 'helmet'. Thats the stuff to aim for as a minimum. So no, you don't have to spend loads, just not the minimum.

Ebay is fine for branded stuff, I'd defo be looking there to start with.

Beyond that you're just looking at bigger screen/windows, more shades, more sensitivity adjustment, possibly a grinding or plasma function (i.e. shade zilch and shade 5-ish respectively), maybe a flip-up front panel, or an air fed system. None of that is critical.

Al.

:)

I bought a cheap one (less than £30) from my local motor factors. Compared to my old non auto mask it is a revelation. A colleague spent around £200 on an upmarket mask. The main difference is that my cheapy is triggered by bright light so the lead light or grinding sparks make it go dark, which can be annoying at times. Apparently, my colleague's upmarket job is triggered by the radio frequency generated by the arc so it is totally unaffected by stray bright lights. I'm not sure what happens if someone else strikes an arc close by though, it's not been a problem so far.

I had a cheapo solar powered one from eBlag - it worked perfectly and did the job fine.

However, after reading comments, and some idle eBay browsing I found a brand new speedglas 9002X (X=wider screen) for £125 and bought it - I have been really pleased with it. If you can spend the time hunting/waiting for an eBlag bargain, It is well worth the cash to get the speedglas.

Mark

Just had a Google for Speedglas as I also want a helmet.

Found me lots on ebay.

Found me Speedglas (3M) where I looked at all the specs.

Their supplier list found me some hugely expensive trade outlets and

Rapid Welding Supplies http://www.rapidwelding.com/dynamic/Catego...mp;o=0&zl=2

The prices seem very good unless someone has found better. Plus just down the road from me.

9002D £99

9002V £180

9100V £179

9100X £195

9100XX £219

Steve

Right, my old welding mask is on it's last legs and I want a new automatic one and could do with some advice please.

On Ebay they seem to go for anything between £30 and £250. What should I look for? Is there anything or type or brand that I should avoid? Is there anything that I should check for like range of sheilding and speed of reaction that would matter? Is there any reason why I shouldn't just get one at the cheaper end of the scale? Do I have to spend loads to be safe? Shoud I go to a proper equipment supplier or is an Ebay one ok?

I do mostly Arc welding as I no longer have the space or need for a decent mig set and gas bottle.

Thank you,

NT

Hi, I bought a sealey PWH599 Solar Welding mask off ebay about 18 months ago, it was new and cost about £80 from a ebay shop, its a very good mask I use it most weeks for mig and arc welding and have not had and problems. I looked online at sealey and the rrp is £199! I did buy some cheap masks from ebay and they were exactly that CHEAP! The lenses kept falling out.

My vote for what it is worth is a sealey PWH599!

Thanks for the replies. I think Speedglas is where I need to look and avoid the cheap ones.

I am concerned about the H&S side of things which is why I am planing on changing my current mask. It has served me well but it is now getting too badly worn out to be comfortable and effective and the lense is suffering damage. I've had it for 20 years and what I loved about it was the 7"x8" viewing area which meant that I could still see even when I couldn't get the mask to face where the work was in cramped spaces.

Thanks Tony

But once a Mask is dicontinued they stop doing any bits, I've been to Snap on where i got it from a Mac tool dealer and to our local steel stockholder weldeing supplies place and they all say they can't get bits.

So i have a nice grinding hat!

Its the actual speedglass unit thats packed up have taken it out and just put a standard welding glass in it