Drop arm ball joint kit

I have read all the teh. arhive about changing the ball join of drop arm.I managed to change it but I couldnt fit the small seal ring,also I coulndt find where I have to fit the metal ring (wich is shown on photo)

post-8654-1236965063_thumb.jpg

Now I don/t know if this seal is so important,because if it is so--I have to rebuild it again.

• 2 months later...

The ball joint gaiter on my 110 TD5 has come adrift, the drop arm should have had a lip all the way round to keep the circlip/ring in place but this has chipped away and there is nothing to keep the ring in place.

Does the DROP ARM BALL JOINT KIT, STC3295, Land Rover Defender, Discovery, get around this ?

I dont want to have to remove the whole drop arm and replace just to get this fixed....

The ball joint gaiter on my 110 TD5 has come adrift, the drop arm should have had a lip all the way round to keep the circlip/ring in place but this has chipped away and there is nothing to keep the ring in place.

Does the DROP ARM BALL JOINT KIT, STC3295, Land Rover Defender, Discovery, get around this ?

I dont want to have to remove the whole drop arm and replace just to get this fixed....

Had exactly this problem 2 weeks ago. The little steel ring is useless. It was too big to go inside, and too small to go outside. What value does it add? Tried to cut it and enlarge it slightly, thinking it might stick in place with a teen weeny blob of weld right at the front, or I might even epoxy it there, but no, it wouldn't expand or contract easily . The flange on the steering box side had lost its lip, and the rest isn't much better, and had a razor edge - ideal for a boot to sit on. I managaed to dress it into more of a bell shape with a small ball pein hammer, and put the rubber boot on. 2 days later the steel springy thing had climbed up the boot, and the boot had let go. I have now used a small tie wrap which clamps the boot nicely under the remaining lip and so far has held the boot in place. (Don't forget the draglink squashes the boot down, so it's not being pulled off). The spring has retired hurt.

If your flange has gone completely( I had a bit of vertical flange left round the back) I'd say it was time for either a new drop arm, or something specific being turned to fit. <rant>Considering how long this design must have been used it's utter rubbish. If you do try to get the drop arm off, be prepared for a mighty fight. I bent the handle on a 10 ton hydraulic puller trying to get mine off. I tried heat, cold, bad language, turning my back on it and even asking it nicely. Finally with the puller on so tight I had to hold the arms on with a G cramp, I belted the ball joint end and it came loose. The Tech Archive piece on it says 10 minutes (but they aren't Earth minutes) to get it off. Why oh why not use a trackrod end? They even come in LH thread</rant>

Nigel

Do yourself a great favour and convert it over to the disco 1 solid droparm-as it takes me 10 minutes instead of a couple of hours to change the track rod end, I have cut a few off and replaced the drop arm a while ago trying to do that bloody ball joint as i got frustrated with changing it every few months or so, So much nicer and easier to do now

• 1 year later...