Beach Driving

Hey All,

I'm starting to think about my hols for later this year and was wondering if anyone knew anything about driving on beaches?

I ask as I seem to recall my Dad (many years ago when I was young) driving on a beach with several other cars in Wales but can't find any information to suggest anything other than that it's illegal. Another thing that triggered me to look into this was the '20 Top Green Lanes' booklet issued with last months LROi magazine, one of the lanes featured was on a beach, are there any others?

Any advice/thoughts welcome,

Thanks in advanced,

Gavin

Salt water will rot your motor in super fast accelerated time :(

I grew up on Angelsey and we bought an old 80" that was used for boat launching. The chassis went to dust when we stripped it :o

As for legal stuff, not sure but reckon its a no no...

Not sure about the legal side but salt water and sand must be just about the worst combination possible for the life of a vehicle.

I wouldn't go any where near a vehicle which had been driven in the sea. As Rob said even launching boats will rot the back end of the vehicle off in time unless it is very carefully cleaned, remember to clean the inside of the chassis as well as they often rot from the inside out.

There's a car park on the beach at Black Rock Sands, Porthmadog where you can have a reasonable drive round on the beach - we did it a couple of years ago in and out of the surf :D

Brilliant beach, loads of space when tide is out.

i remember driving my dads old volvo 850 :ph34r: along pendine sands in south wales, but that was about 10 years ago, and im pretty sure that you cant do it today!

as for newport sands in pembs, ive driven along that but, there are stakes indicating that you cant go past them, and i wouldnt because it gets a bit soggy down towards the estuary!

but to be honest, i wouldnt drive my landy along the beach, because im too lazy to clean it properly afterwards :P

jase

Theres a beach at Somerset we went to last year. Its called Burnham on Sea. Really flat hard packed beach. We had a brilliant time, Landy, dog and family all together. :lol::lol: Parked up left everyone sunbathing and got mountain bike out, brilliant holiday.

From this and a chat with a few a friends, it appears that there is a greater number of drivable beaches in Wales compared to else where in the country. I think the other half is thinking of making Wales one of out places to go, will have to see where we end up.

As for the sea salt issue. I wasn't thinking of going anywhere near the sea itself, not only because of the effects of the sea salt but also the increased risk of getting stuck. Also tbh I not that fond of water.

I can only think of 2 now in Wales that allow true driving,

Newport, Pembs, & Black Rock.

A little bit of the top of Borth, right by the Dyfi estuary is a car park.

Pendine was closed a couple of years ago.

There are some in North Wales that you can get launching permits for, but you can only do that and not drive around.

• 2 weeks later...

about 10 years ago we went on holiday to south wales with a s11a and a s111 both swb petrols at some point of the holiday we went to pendine sands we drove the full length of the beach and on the way back the tide was coming in we had just enough time to go up the off ramp off the beach and we saw about 3 cars still parked on the beach unatended we had a long drive back to the cotage we were staying in so we did not stay and see what happened to the cars.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi

Now that Devon and Cornwall have banned dogs from beaches it is highly unlikely that dirty unpleasant 4x4's will be allowed near a beach in the foreseeable future.

IIRC Dogs are only banned from beaches in Cornwall from May to Sept [summer months]

just found this Cornwall dog friendly beachs in summer here lots of them, but please make sure you clean up after your dog.