Alternative to Land Rover Hub Tool

ashtray

Speaking to my Mac distributor the other day, and hes managed to get hold of an alternative to the land rover 52mm hub tool.

One of my complaints with the land rover hub tool is that it has no provision for using any form of ratchet or bar, only the use of a tommy bar ( or in some cases a couple of screwdrivers)

So after a long time searching, i've finally found one with a 3/4inch drive! now most people's tool cases wont include a 3/4" drive ratchet, so if you want it you will need to buy a drive adaptor.

The Tool is Made by Melco in Sheffield and its part no. is TBS 89

I got mine for £30, which yes is expensive for a hub tool but ive wanted the solution for so long i couldnt resist

Below is the website for the tool company. But as yet i havnt found a website that you can order them through.

Hope this little bit of info helps anyone who moans about the land rover hub tool

Melco Tools

Speaking to my Mac distributor the other day, and hes managed to get hold of an alternative to the land rover 52mm hub tool.

One of my complaints with the land rover hub tool is that it has no provision for using any form of ratchet or bar, only the use of a tommy bar ( or in some cases a couple of screwdrivers)

So after a long time searching, i've finally found one with a 3/4inch drive! now most people's tool cases wont include a 3/4" drive ratchet, so if you want it you will need to buy a drive adaptor.

The Tool is Made by Melco in Sheffield and its part no. is TBS 89

I got mine for £30, which yes is expensive for a hub tool but ive wanted the solution for so long i couldnt resist

Below is the website for the tool company. But as yet i havnt found a website that you can order them through.

Hope this little bit of info helps anyone who moans about the land rover hub tool

Melco Tools

I've had one of those for years, I think I got it from Kingsley Cross Country, only cost a couple of quid more than the 'cheap & nasty' ones.

Colin.

i got the 3/4 drive version from difflock a bit expensive but well made and does the job. luckily i all ready have 3/4 drive for work but adaptors are cheap enough from halfords and the like, still has the hole to put a bar through if you wanted.

matt

Is the 1/2" drive one the right size for std LR hub nuts? ie 52mm? the link above refers to DII and p38 hub nuts, which I thought were different for some reason...

I might be tempted to get one if someone can confirm that it is the right bit of kit for the job?

Cheers

Mark

Is the 1/2" drive one the right size for std LR hub nuts? ie 52mm? the link above refers to DII and p38 hub nuts, which I thought were different for some reason...

I might be tempted to get one if someone can confirm that it is the right bit of kit for the job?

Cheers

Mark

It's the standard 52mm socket so fits the hub nuts. I've been using mine on my 1996 Defender 90.

HTH

I took two old hub nuts, fitted some 6" lengths flatstock around them, and welded them up, then removed the hub nuts. Welded on a piece of flat steel on one end with an old 3/8" socket attached.

I won't say it was totally free, but it was cheap ;)

I tend to find that a lot of people have used a hammer and chisel :angry:

Les.

Yep, that was what I found when I had to change my Hub after terminal Bearing Failure, it was so butchered I had to chisel off all the burrs to get the proper tool on the nuts.

Colin.

Yep, that was what I found when I had to change my Hub after terminal Bearing Failure, it was so butchered I had to chisel off all the burrs to get the proper tool on the nuts.
Been there, done that. But if they are that bad I usually chisel them off and replace with a new nut.

Sometimes there's enough left I can just grind all the burrs off on with my bench grinder and reuse them.