Where to buy bearings (slightly OT)

Now I know I got called a gob%hite by astro al last time but at the risk of it happening again I will say make friends with your local bearing guy, don't get me wrong online stores have there place but there sizes are limited and cant offer help or advice when needed so if you can, look up your local suppliers and say "hi" I can assure you they will be more than happy to help...

Also they will have a whole range of transmission products, oils, fasteners and tools etc all at trade prices :i-m_so_happy:

Agree with the above.

Walk in and slap said bearing on the counter and say 'I'll have one of those please'.

Takes all the hassle out of it.

It was a bearing guy who cured a problem I had years ago. The gearbox output shaft on my bubble car kept leaking no matter how many times I replaced the lipped seal. Problem was the seal had worn a slight groove in the shaft and there were no replacements to be had. Bearing guy gave me two seals that were half the thickness of the original so when fitted to the 'box both lips sat on an unworn part of the shaft.

Steve

I've used Simply Bearings quite a few times, especially for my stationary engines. When I have sent them an email with questions etc they normally respond within 2 to 3 hours, can't fault them.

Chris

Cheers all - bearing on the way from Simply Bearings. Bit of wonkyness with their Paypal integration (had a few quid in the Paypal account, so decided to use that instead of a card), but they replied to my email confirming that the order had been processed correctly.

Agree that local suppliers are very handy, especially if you need something out of the ordinary (I need to find a replacement for my old fastenings wholesaler - near my old work :(), but in this case I was after a very ordinary imperial bearing* so no special knowledge required.

* It's not a new drill... Early seventies, at a guess, and the manufacturer are no longer around.

Your answer probably wasn't complicated enough - buying bearings from a bearing supplier is just too easy to ever work :lol:

Sorry I forgot, that would mean he might have to pay for it :hysterical:

:banned:

On a serious note, a lot FAQ's in tools and fab could be answered/sorted by hunting up local suppliers, I was just making the point that they are quite happy to help/sell you a one off.

I did a quick price check online picked a bearing that should be a fast mover ie cheap 6205/2rs skf/fag about 6quid online 2.75 for a single local and if they are passing your door it will cost you nothing to get...

Also they have a wealth of knowledge that just might come in handy one day ;)

Interesting one here. I need a roller bearing with a seal on one side and with roughly 140mm ID, i havent measured it accuratly yet and it may be imperial. From browsing internet suppliers even cheap makes are £150 plus!

Interesting one here. I need a roller bearing with a seal on one side and with roughly 140mm ID, i havent measured it accuratly yet and it may be imperial. From browsing internet suppliers even cheap makes are £150 plus!

Rather than measure it look for its size etched on the side face. The part numbers on bearings are normally 'readable' being made up of OD, ID, width etc.

Steve

Its a little project i have on, there is no bearing there at the moment, im putting one there, which makes it more difficult!

Not necessarily as you can probably still make your shaft and housing suit an available bearing. Plus you can make it a metric bearing where you have a better choice.

Steve

I will struggle to machine the part on which the bearing will sit, but the housing is being made to suit the bearing size

Once i can measure the part on which the bearing will sit, i will have a better idea of how big a job it will be. It may be a really awkward size so will require machining. My lathe isnt really big enough for the job so i will have to pay someone to do it.

Hi, made a quick call re your bearing 140x210x33 2rs(just pop one of the seals out) £35 for budget and £215 for quality(fag/skf) both plus vat

or 140x250x42 but only available open £44 and £280 please bare in mind this is the first call so given time should do better...

Cheers FKD.

The diameter of the part that i need to out the bearing on is 139mm. I doubt i will get a bearing with this diameter though! I think i will have to look at a bush/sleeve to take it up to 145 or 150mm