Britpart - The good and the bad

Tetsu0san

By mistake I ended up with a Britpart series 3 speedo cable in an order recently and , oh what a surprise the speedo end does not fit . Not only did it not fit but prior to trying to fit I had to clean out a fully grease packed socket . We all know what too much grease does to a cable drive speedo .....

This company is truly carp . Just goes to show how pointless ISO/BS accreditation seems to be .

...I really must remember to put NO BRITPART at the top of all order emails  

As an aside , in the course of fitting a bulkhead to a defender I  recently ordered new seals for the clutch and brake pedal boxes and the brake box seal was twice the price of JLR from Britpart , while the clutch box seal was much less than genuine , no sense at all

/mini-rant-over/

:)

Steve b

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Good grief. Will you try and twist it back or send it back?

No time hombre got a tight deadline to keep, I've let the supplier know, just spent the last 2 hrs straightening it out, paint is just drying. - harder than it looks to get that thing back perpendicular.

• Sad 1

I was thinking about this the other day. I have now met two people that swear by Britpart products and won't fit anything else. They buy into the 'it's from the same factory, it's just in a different box' argument .

I don't know how some people seem to have such good experiences with them, when so many more have the exact opposite. I have had parts that just flat out will not fit, or are broken from the factory - and I estimate on a 50/50 ratio. I can understand they're cheap and people take a risk if funds are tight and it's all you can find, but to actively avoid other brands in favour... that boggles the mind.

It also leads me to another conclusion. With the increase in Land Rover restorations and the fact that BP products more often than not have no fixtures or fittings that you need to finish the job, I wonder how many vehicles are driving around with re-used bolts, nylocs, brake pads with rusted out retaining pins, etc in safety-critical applications (like prop nuts and bolts). There's no way that someone who will only spend £1.99 on brake components is going to spend an additional £5 + P&P for the little bits that actually make the job right (I am making the prices up, but the point remains).

Scary times.

4 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

don't know how some people seem to have such good experiences with them, when so many more have the exact opposite. I have had parts that just flat out will not fit, or are broken from the factory - and I estimate on a 50/50 ratio.

Some ###### ####### always trying to ice skate uphill. /shrug

I think it's an expectation thing. I suspect the same people think it's fine to drive around in a vehicle with everything on the verge of falling off/apart "because Land Rover". 

What really worries me is they now get to drive around with no MOT if the vehicle is old enough. I have a feeling it'll turn round to bite all of us [Land Rover owners] 

To add to the list: Series dumb irons: absolute GARBAGE. First up, the holes for the bumper are the wrong distance apart. This'll really fox you if you try to check alignment against them as per the book. Secondly: profile. The lazy halfwits clearly couldn't be bothered to recreate the gentle curve on the top, so the profile is straight. Unsurprisingly, it won't line up correctly. Thirdly: no crush plate or tubes for the bumper bolts. Fourth: as far as I could tell, the little angle plate that you're supposed to weld to the front crossmember for re-enforcement is at the wrong angle if you've got everything else correct as per the book. I suspect many a series is wonky at the front because of it.

The lack of crush tube is most worrying as it gives very little in the way of solid mounting for the bumper. 

I'll keep fighting the good fight, but I fear its a losing battle when the market is flooded with this kind of cheap rubbish. When even eBay sellers do their best to hide the supplier until it lands on your doorstep in the dreaded colour box, you know its bad. "quality after market" is an outrageous lie. 

9 hours ago, lo-fi said:

When even eBay sellers do their best to hide the supplier until it lands on your doorstep in the dreaded colour box, you know its bad. "quality after market" is an outrageous lie. 

Seems to be the fashion and it's quite frustrating to say the least. 

I think at this point it's safe to assume that not stating a brand means blue box. I used to like totalparts.co.uk because they didn't stock any; only genuine, Bearmach or Allmakes. Sadly they're now gone. 

I wonder if there's any way we can direct people to suppliers that aren't trying to stiff people with carp parts? I have two local suppliers: one won't even say the B word without spitting, let alone stock their parts. The other moans bitterly when I forbid them from giving me blue boxes in my order. 

14 hours ago, lo-fi said:

"quality after market" is an outrageous lie. 

I suppose quality after market is an incomplete statement; It could be Bad quality aftermarket.

I stick to bearmach for most parts. In terms of price/quality they have not disappointed me so far.

Daan

I got into a bit off a difficult situation regarding Brittpart yesterday. A mate came by with a box of goodies, he had just traded in his RRC V8 for a P38 DSE (and a waddle of cash) so wanted to give me the spares he still had for the RRC. Unfortunately a lot of blue boxes... I know he meant well, he's a great guy, but I couldn't help but cringe when I saw a Brittpart branded valley gasket! Such a cheap part regardless of manufacturer, and so much potential trouble if the fit isn't perfect or worse, you have to redo the job because it fails prematurely...