EDIS coilpacks

Quagmire

Guys,

I am collecting all the stuff i need for my Megasquirt setup- I have the EDIS8 controller, pigtail and vr sensor. Now i am looking for some coilpacks. Looking on ebay there are some that are new pattern parts and are much cheaper.

Has anyone used these with any success? Or does the old adage "you get what you pay for" apply here ? :ph34r:

Also there seem to be different revisions of packs (well they look different anyway)- which are best, am i better with the latest and greatest or are earlier ones more suited to what we do with them?

Thanks

Jamie

i think the later packs use a more "normal" lead connection, whereas the earlier ones have the strange connector on the coilpack.

Not sure if there are any advantages of either, its just a coil at the end of the day.

Second-hand earlier ones are plentiful off Fiestas and the like, with plastic clips and o-rings to hold the leads together and make them water tight, much better than the generation 2 coil packs, where the lead boots are no where near as nicely made.

Reports are they rarely fail, so why bother getting a new aftermarket one which may not be made to the same quality, when you can get a good second hand one for a tenner?

Scrapyard visit would be my choice :)

Second-hand earlier ones are plentiful off Fiestas and the like, with plastic clips and o-rings to hold the leads together and make them water tight, much better than the generation 2 coil packs, where the lead boots are no where near as nicely made.

Reports are they rarely fail, so why bother getting a new aftermarket one which may not be made to the same quality, when you can get a good second hand one for a tenner?

Scrapyard visit would be my choice :)

As above, I am also building up my parts list.

As I have just scrapped a Fiesta I took the parts off it. I was also advised that the earier Coil Pack was best for waterproofness. The post also look lower in height than the new type which are a push fit? wheras the old type have a clip holding them down on the 'O' ring.

Out of interest where did you get your Edis 8 from as I have not got one yet?

Good Luck,

Marc.

Out of interest where did you get your Edis 8 from as I have not got one yet?

I got mine on from ebay.com from a seller called "atomicjawbreaker". Delivery was very quick! (5days) and only cost $16. For just under £35 total i got the edis8 controller, pigtail, and vr sensor- this price included the shipping.

So i need to keep my eyes peeled for the older short tower type if i want to use my 90 as a submarine? :rolleyes:

One last question then- "FoMoCo" units are obviously genuine, but are the "Motorcraft" ones too?

Cheers

What Geoff said, the early ones have a much better seal. Fastlane Auto will make you a nice set of custom HT leads for them, or you can dismantle the ends and graft them onto the Rover leads, I'd grab a couple of spare leads though as it's a potentially destructive operation if you get it wrong.

I normally use mondeo ones from the scrappy with the retaining ring. I make my spark plug leads up myself, having bought the crimping tool for the job. The ends are recoverable with a little care on dissembly.

If anyone knows where to buy 8mm HT lead cable from I would be grateful?

These are 2nd hand from a fiesta or mondeo and cost £10 each with leads. The odd number side are the original ford one's that came with the coils and the even's are some luminition lead's that I found lurkin about and changed the coil end's.

gallery_3150_282_77365.jpg

HTH jeff

... you can dismantle the ends and graft them onto the Rover leads

I spent several happy evenings doing this in a cold garage - then gave up and went to Fastlane. ;)

They gave excellent service - eight bespoke leads all within 5mm of the lengths I had define over the phone, delivered within 3 days and at a good price :)

They also do ignition cable on the drum too.

You can also drive the Land Rover coil packs with EDIS8, as fitted to Thor 4.0 and 4.6 engines. this has the advantage that you can buy "off the shelf" HT leads if you mount the packs behind the V like Land Rover did.

Not as easy to get hold of second hand but if you do stumble on a set or don't mind buying new (buy the full assembly complete with mounting bracket as it's cheaper than the individual coils), they are worth considering. It also means you can easily treat yourself to an off the shelf set of good quality HT leads from Magnecore or similar.

The only issue with Rover coil packs is that they are pricey, and mounted on the back of the engine they seem to fail, possibly due to heat.

Having had a set of magnecor and a set of Fastlane leads (and a very sh*tty bit of service from Magnecor) I'd go for Fastlane every time, they're not quite as nice but the Magnecors certainly aren't £150 better.