Would you buy another Freelander?

Warthog

Hi

I have been looking at 01 to 03 (Td4) plate Freelanders. But i sense from scrolling through this section and others, that there seems to be a fair few problems with their reliabilty.

Im thinking that maybe if i asked present owners of them. "Would you have another?" I maybe able to guage if ownership would be wise?

The vehicle will be for my retired parents, and i would like a good reliabilty factor. But at the same time, backyard servicing feasable.

Cheers for any response

Mark

Yes,

We had a pre-Td4 diesel, had it for 5 years, took it from 48,000 miles to 110,000 and had good reliability. The biggest issue was changing the VCU before it did any damage, other than that it was normal wear and tear.

Only got rid of it when SWMBO demanded a people carrier, that she cursed at the first sign of snow.

AD90

My lovely lady has owned two in the past, a 2000W 1.8k 3 door and an 04 TD4 ES 5 door. The petrol car munched it's v/c and IRD as per the norm for those but once fixed it was reliable, with no other extra items requiring attention. The TD4 needed nothing but a couple of services.

So on that summary, yes we would and did.

(Nowadays she's terrorising the locals with a D90 50th, so I doubt if anyone could persuade her to go back to something as girly as a Freebie again! :lol: )

I wouldn't buy an expensive one - I'd buy another 1.8 any day as they go for peanuts and contrary to popular belief, the world doesn't end if a head gasket needs doing.

I'm with John I have a 99 2.0lt D and would buy another tomorrow if the red one died.

it leaks oil from the IRD and thats one of those things other wise good as gold

We had a 3 door td4 . It was my wife's car and she would have another one tomorrow. In fact when we are driving along and see one on the road she often says she misses her Freelander. We had it for a couple of years with no problem at all and sold it for a good price. Was a great car and a few years of really cheap motoring . But unfortuately as a growing family , one kid and 2 Huskies and other kid on the way. The freelander is just too small. Hence why she drives a 110 now as the Disco we had was also just too small

I think the biggest problems on forums is you just hear from the people moaning about their cars and not the many more paople who are pleased with them and have had no problem at all

I'm with Fridge on this,the 1.8 I bought 2 years ago with a blown head gasket has been great - £500 with 55,000m and 2 owners.Just put a set of Michie tyres on it,what a change - its the quietest F/L I 've ever driven.

I'd have a cheap one with the L series diesel,they rarely cause any problems,but I wouldnt touch a v6 or a TD4.The Td4's are OK,but they cost too much to repair,and I see far too many problems with them.At least the 1.8 is cheap to repair.

Plus at 10yrs old,the only visible rust is a tiny patch on the rear tailgate which I cant be bothered to fix as you can hardly see it.

I'm with Fridge on this,the 1.8 I bought 2 years ago with a blown head gasket has been great - £500 with 55,000m and 2 owners.Just put a set of Michie tyres on it,what a change - its the quietest F/L I 've ever driven.

I'd have a cheap one with the L series diesel,they rarely cause any problems,but I wouldnt touch a v6 or a TD4.The Td4's are OK,but they cost too much to repair,and I see far too many problems with them.At least the 1.8 is cheap to repair.

Plus at 10yrs old,the only visible rust is a tiny patch on the rear tailgate which I cant be bothered to fix as you can hardly see it.

I'll second that, I bought a 99 XEDi with a blown IRD box for 4 hundred quid and it's ace. I was lucky that the guy had an old IRD box that was damaged and I managed to make one good one out of two bad ones. The timing belt snapped a couple of months ago and I bought a complete engine with turbo for 80 quid of fleabay and just used the head of it. So I've got a complete spare bottom end and turbo.

I would say however that you should only buy one if you're handy with the spanners.

We have had 2 freelanders & thinking about a 3'rd the one we have (poss for sale ) is a 52 reg td4 just done the vcu easy peasey job, very reliable & economicle, do keep hearing about all there troubles but had less trouble with both freelanders than the Discos I've had, so the answer to your question most deffinaley yes

John

Buy another one?

NO WAY.

Because there is nothing wrong with the ones we've got at the moment. The 2002 TD4 is on 90,000+ and has broken down once. I think that is pretty darn good.

We honestly looked at getting a later model commercial for Mrs Blip's company, but it just seemed a waste to get rid of a perfectly good car.

Cheers

Blippie

I have always had a landrover but only bought my first Freelander last year, I will buy another one in a few years when this one goes bang. Any car you buy can have problems, I have a friend that bought a 2007 BMW and its always in being fixed, last time cost him over 700 Euro. If you buy a Landrover, make sure you service it regularly, I change the oil on mine every 6000 miles and always buy the best oil I can afford. Make sure that you take it to someone that understands Landrovers and I don't think you can go wrong. Before you buy, get the car checked out by the AA or better still someone that is in to Landrovers as they will know what to look for and should be able to tell you if its a good buy.

I myself will always buy a diesel, but the petrol ones are fine if you look after them.

So in short would I buy another one, yes for sure 100%

Never buy the old model 1.8 freelander. It's engine is carp, the load from the 4 wheel drive cause massive overheating if pushed too far, The IRD box has a design fault abd the VCU tends to block also on the TD4. The back window comes down with no reason, after you lock the car. Should i go on?

I drive the 1.8 version and it's a great car if you like to spend money on repairs and DIY every week.

I would have another tomorrow if something happened to my 2 litre diesal L series commercial, so far its been great apart from the usual VCU, but now fixed. Great to drive and when i put the dog in the back he never wants to get out so he must love it to..!