Rover V8 Spark Plug Oddity

Me had big hump time :(

The 90 V8 has had the odd "7" + "1" Misfire now and again, coming home last night it was 7

all the way ....then 6 :huh:

Me ?....straight into Megasquirt, and all sensors checked out

Checked fuel pressure - spot on at 36 PSI, and level running

That ruled out pump and PRV

Changed coil pack(s) and EDIS8 - Nope :blink:

Checked known good replacement lead on all 8 plugs - nope

checked Injector connectors loose / dirt - nope

check sensors - nope

checked fuel level :P:lol: Nope

:blink:

Erm, what else is there....

Did full compression check - all fine

Checked timing, trigger wheel - all fine

Checked earths all ok, and battery voltages - spot on

:blink:

Erm.........

Well, that only leaves the spark plugs, .....

and they were new ......6 months or less ago

(and they are NGK BPR6ES)

I'll change them anyway .....

And sorted......another set of plugs killed ? :unsure:

So, the question is why does this engine eat spark plugs

and - on a regualr basis, like 3 sets a YEAR - and thats on a low mileage V8

Is it just the Odd spec / Wild cam / Race engine = killing ??

(BTW Cleaned up the 'old' plugs - and refitted - misfire :)

For those who may be curious and have some thoughts spec is

JED (John Eales) 4.5 Ex Flapper system

now running 3.9 Injectors and Megasquirt MS1 V3 029v

Omega Pistons, whizzy conrods,

Ultra Big valve heads - High compression (around 10.2:1)

wild High Lift long duration camshaft,

Vernier timing gears, Ultra Large Ported 48mm Trumpets and matched inlet Manifolds,

Fully Balanced and a load of other internal mods - and Custom 4>2>1 exhaust.

I have tried 'hotter' and 'colder' plugs by 1 'grade' each side of 6s,

no difference, ....still kills them just makes starting more difficult

So, why does it eat plugs ?

Thoughts

Nige

You sure it's not just the huge EDIS sparks breaking the plug down internally?

Might be worth trying non-resistive plugs (BP6ES).... either that or a plug designed to work with EDIS-power sparks....

Poor ickle NGKs.... what have you been doing to them :P

In answer to the 2x above posters:

1. No, they look fine, maybe a tad sooty, but normal and no signs of

whiteness / leaness / or heavy overfuelling, just "Used" but no wear oir

damage

The codes for NGks is attached

BPR6ES

BP is the size R is resistor plug 6 is heat range which I have played with

these are projector tipped plugs which are what is needed in an old style 3 wedge head design

and the ES is the reach or and depths etc, so playing with that is a no no as you could

in therory punch a hole in the crown, more likley just have a problem, as from the gurus I know

abd have spoken to NGKs are the best plug to use in a V8, they are known( Rover V8s) to be

"Plug Fussy", I have lost count of the number of times the special chavy whizzy plugs

people fit cause issues quite soon after fitting :lol:

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/technical/NGK-spark-plug-code.htm

I think its a heat rnage issue, which then means a compromise between

cold starting and the engine heat rnage running, I do have a contact name for a plug guru in NGK from

a fair while ago when I had similar probs which I thought may have been this, I'll try digging his number out :)

2. I also did some research on plugs and the BPR6ESs are fie for the 40,000 output from the forsd coil packs, the platinium whizzy plugs offer nothing more than longer service intervals, so no gain there, not sure about leaving the "R" out, its a thought, will check with Mr GURUNGK :)

Nige

The "R" is there to stop interference affecting the ECU/EDIS module. I wouldnt go down that route personally.

Your not quite correct on the NGK part numbers...

"B" tells you the size (14mm), "P" means it has a projected tip, and "R" that it has a resistor, 6 is the heat range, E tells you the thread reach (19mm), and S (or K) is the electrode style. So switching from a BPR6ES to a BPR6EK simply means your changing from a single electrode to a twin electrode.

Might help, but then if your not actually wearing the old plug out then i'm not so sure.

Its gotta be EDIS related i reckon- i've been running the same Champions :( since last November with no issues and 12,000 miles or so on them with my crappy dizzy gapped to the upper limit in the book.

If you clean them up and they still dont work, then surely its got to be related to a physical change in the property of the plug. What might cause that god only knows...

A bit of thinking aloud (which may may not reach a valid point, or a point at all):

The function of the spark plug is to provide a focussed point for an avalanche breakdown of the intervening gas (the air/petrol mixture). In doing so it inevitably gets hot, both from the spark and the ignition cycle itself. To get an avalanche you need volts, but a by-product is amps when the event happens. The 5,000 ohm resistor acts to limit volts when amps rises, damping the spark and therefore limiting the current drawn (in this case from the drive electronics).

The rising temperature of the plug will cause the resistance of the resistor to rise, which won't affect the point at which the spark happens, but will quench the spark sooner. Heat will also affect the insulation between the plug core and metal body, but these are fancy ceramic good to a few 1000's of K, so this seems unlikely. That leaves the resistive element, which is also a lump of ceramic.

All in all my guess would be mechanical failure of the ceramic insulator (it is quite brittle) under high heat and pressure leading to the centre electrode tracking or arcing to the body.

Over wetting the plugs with fuel can cause them to fail, causeing misfire. I can only guess at the mechanism that causes it, but I saw it several times when messing with the first MS units. When I was working with the prototype EDIS code, I never had any plug failures I could relate to that.

Every time I've seen your truck, starting hasn't seemed to be its strong suit, so that might well be part of the problem.

The hot spark does tend to increase the erosion of the plug though, and remember that half the plugs are firing reverse polarity, which changes the erosion / metal migration pattern. Ford USA used to spec single platinum plugs for the cylinders firing 'normal' polarity, and double platinum plugs for those running reversed.

Maybe worth the price of one set of double platinum plugs to see how long they last?

Dave

We used to have this problem with one of our engines running a Scintilla Vertex Magneto, NGK BP7ES plugs breaking down every 1500 miles or so, we put it down to the very high voltage that the mags produce, We changed to Bosch Platinum W3CS and never had the problem again.

Lara

TSD: Banks running reverse polarity? huh?

Not different banks, different cylinders running reversed polarity.

EDIS is a wasted spark system, using four double ended coils. Two cylinder spark at a time, one on compression, the other on exhaust stroke.

The same charge of electricity discharges through both spark plugs, but in opposite directions. The current path is from one end of the coil, from tip of one plug to the body, then through the engine block and the body of the second plug, to the tip and returning to the coil.

Because the erosion of the plug is affected by spark polarity (like welding with reverse polarity) the effect is different on 'normal' polarity plugs to the reverse polarity ones.

starting hasn't seemed to be its strong suit

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh yes doesn't it just :(, combo of the wild Camshaft and Valve overlap, have had

to really play with the Cranking, WUE and ASE on MS to get it to where it is now

.....which is a lot lot better, .....and has improved so much it could now be called "appalling" :rofl:

I also know my engine gets hot - F hot,

being in effect a 3.5 block stroked and linered to 4.5

so the latent heat and heat build up / soak is massive,

I also wonder if a hot little plug(s)take a dislike

to then being submerged in ice cold rocker deep water ? :ph34r:

Have to speak to NGK again later today :)

Ta all for the thoughts

Nige

How can the power possibly discharge from the same coil in more than one direction, when its travelling TO earth....

Both plugs are connected to the same coil and the power flows to earth. It doesnt flow round some crazy loop and back into the coil again...

If you disconnect a plug lead, the other bank will still fire.

How can the power possibly discharge from the same coil in more than one direction, when its travelling TO earth....

Both plugs are connected to the same coil and the power flows to earth. It doesnt flow round some crazy loop and back into the coil again...

If you disconnect a plug lead, the other bank will still fire.

The coil generates a potential difference across its terminals, making one end negative relative to ground and the other is positive relative to ground, so a current flows from ground through the plug to the relatively negative end, and a current flows from the relatively positive coil end to ground through the other plug. So in the first plug the electrode is negative (backwards) and the other is positive (right way round).

Tadaaaaaaaaaaa!

So what then happens in a distributor system where theres only one tap from the coil

DO you mean what's the circuit? the coil generates the potential difference, with one end of the coil grounded. The distributor then connects the coil live to the appropriate plug (electrode positive), fat spark, flows to ground. You also get a spark between the rotor arm and the contacts, which is why people invented wasted spark (first fitted to 2CVs I think)

So what then happens ... in a wasted spark system when you remove one lead?

(thinks - is this a trick question? better agree some ground rules before committing :ph34r: ) I have no experience of wasted spark systems personally, but the theory says - nothing works.

(thinks - is this a trick question? better agree some ground rules before committing :ph34r: ) I have no experience of wasted spark systems personally, but the theory says - nothing works.

One of three things happens :-

1) Nothing

2) The disconnected end arcs out from the end of the coil, and you get a very weak spark on the connected cylinder.

3) The coil arcs out through the internal insulation, and the coil never works properly again, due to reduced breakdown voltage

The coil drivers don't really want to be switching a fully charged coil either, so ecu/edis damage is possible (though probably not likely).