Working Sheet Aluminium - Drawers etc

RichardAllen

I have no sheet metal working experience, but want to have a go at making some small drawers, fascia bits etc out of sheet aluminium, so I am after some advice.

This http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-750mm-Sheet-Metal-Worker-23170.htm seems to do a bit of everything and it is affordable.

If I want to make a shallow box/tray, say 300mm x 600mm by 50mm deep will this machine do ?

I am clear that I can use the shear to get the right size plate to start with, but can I also use it to cut the corner notches. ?

Can I bend all 4 box sides fully using the press brake ? If so, do I just bend one after the other, or is it easier to do it a different way ?

The spec says it can bend/roll/shear 1.5mm aluminium. Does this mean that there is no chance of working 2mm chequer plate, even if annealed ?

Apparently I should not cut aluminium sheet with an angle grinder - is this hard and fast, or are there ways around ? If not, I do have a 2 speed wood working band saw, can I buy a blade for cutting Aluminium on it, if so what spec ?

I have had a look through the threads but may have missed the "Metal Working for Dummies" one

I have also failed to find much help on the net, apart from a couple of youtube video's, so anyone know any good sites covering basic sheet metal working ?

All help gratefully received.

Regards

Richard

The spec says it can bend/roll/shear 1.5mm aluminium. Does this mean that there is no chance of working 2mm chequer plate, even if annealed ?

Chequer plate is evil stuff to bend because of the raised chequers, and personally I think it's over-rated and over-used anyway :ph34r:

Apparently I should not cut aluminium sheet with an angle grinder - is this hard and fast, or are there ways around ? If not, I do have a 2 speed wood working band saw, can I buy a blade for cutting Aluminium on it, if so what spec ?

We cut everything with the ultra-thin (<1mm) cutting discs and they are fine. Obviously all the usual safety stuff about rotating blades and flying sparks applies.

The reason you shouldn't gring alluminium is that it clogs the disc up and it can then overheat and explode.

I my experiance though once the disc become clogged it becomes useless to the point where you carn't get it hot enough to cause problems, i have however had a clogged disc explode when used on steel afterwards.

So now i keep the used discs seperate depending on what its used for

I have the axminster 3 in 1 sheet metal worker and have to say its brilliant, you can do more than the capacities it specifies and its a godsend for simple sheet jobs, ive used it for all my d-lander stuff its well worth the money.

A jigsaw is fine, although tricky to get a nice straight edge. 1.5mm ally is pretty easy to cut with a pair of tin snips, hand shears or a hand nibbler thing. It's a bit thick for kitchen scissors which will happily cut 1mm.

Well I clamp a bit of corner section and run the jigsaw along against that, result is one nice straight edge :)

Thanks to all. SWMBO has just decided she does not want to wqork for a while, so the axminster tool will have to wait. The workshop practice book is expected from Aamzon any day, so I can read up and plan my design and maybe santa will give me a metal working toy for Christmas. I am also amazed at how generous two baby daughters can be at the end of the year.

Thanks again for the advice

Regards

Richard

I have the axminster 3 in 1 sheet metal worker and have to say its brilliant, you can do more than the capacities it specifies and its a godsend for simple sheet jobs, ive used it for all my d-lander stuff its well worth the money.

mmmm that looks like a nice bit of kit.

Marc.