Quick Engine Hoist Question

sotal

Been looking at Engine Hoists and I've seen these two. There is £80 between them - can anyone tell me what the difference is? Someone is offering to sell me the more expensive one 2nd hand for £100 only used 5 times in perfect condition with chains etc.

Just wanted to understand why it was more as the heights etc seemed better on the cheaper one.

Any reason not to go for it? I hear lots of bad things about Clarke tools and it's not a tool you want to go wrong! But at the same time it's not going to get much use so I don't want to spend a fortune on it!

Cheers

Been looking at Engine Hoists and I've seen these two. There is £80 between them - can anyone tell me what the difference is? Someone is offering to sell me the more expensive one 2nd hand for £100 only used 5 times in perfect condition with chains etc.

Just wanted to understand why it was more as the heights etc seemed better on the cheaper one.

Any reason not to go for it? I hear lots of bad things about Clarke tools and it's not a tool you want to go wrong! But at the same time it's not going to get much use so I don't want to spend a fortune on it!

Cheers

Which two do you want comparing?

Chris

So nobody has said 'don't go for the Clarke' - does that mean you'd all trust them?

I'm quite tempted by the second hand one and it's only a couple of miles away.

The other choice I have is a broken one, it's further to fetch approx 30 miles or so, and needs the ram repairing or replacing as it leaks so the arm doesn't fully extend.

That one is a more expensive (when it was new) one, about 4 years old and 'cheap' (waiting for a price - so it might not be that cheap). I believe the broken one is this one: http://www.workplace-products.co.uk/product/jcb-folding-workshop-crane/ (the 1000kg version).

I was confused by the Machine mart ones with the more expensive one not appearing to be any better - the only better thing I could see was that it looks to fold up smaller

I've had the cheaper one and currently have the dearer one :)

The cheaper one flexes quite alarmingly, and with an engine suspended on it, is very difficult to move about on even a slightly rough surface. The rear wheels are too close together, and it can easily tip over if you are moving it with an engine suspended on it. The ram isn't chrome plated, so rusts at the slightest hint of moisture, which then causes the arm to creep down. The long chain also means that the arm won't go high enough to clear the front end of, say, a Defender. (Ihad to remove the front wheels and lower the vehicle right down)

The second crane isn't that much different to the first - just more solid and the shorter chain makes things a lot easier. The ram still rusts, but has a double pump action for lifting, and the whole thing is noticeably better to use. Wider wheel space at the back makes it a lot more stable trying to move with a suspended load.

I've had mine for a couple or more years now - no problems with it to speak of. I guess I've used it about 80 times. The damned hook is in the wrong position though - in line with the crane means it trys to turn the engine :(

Les.

Thanks for the replies,

I'll take a look at the 2nd hand one down the road and try and knock him down a few quid. It seems from the later replies that the 1000 is much more heavy duty than the 100 which is what I wanted to hear!

They seem to hold the value as well so if I sell it on in a year or two it will hopefully fetch similar money

A small point to note, the more expensive hoist has a small roller on the base plate for moving the hoist when it is folded, I've found this made a big difference when moving a folded hoist.

I have agree with Luke the more expensive one is easier to move around when folded up, and will happily lift a 300TDI/autobox and transfer box as one on full stretch.

Pete.

I've had the 1000 for ~4 years and done quite a few engine swaps. The reach could do with being another 6" or so for lifting in/out of RRC & 300Tdi Defender. Height issue was just about overcome by taking the pin out and shortening the chain. A more satisfactory solution would be to fit a swivel hook.

Using a lifting beam rather than slings helps to minimise the height above the load.

I have agree with Luke the more expensive one is easier to move around when folded up, and will happily lift a 300TDI/autobox and transfer box as one on full stretch.

Pete.

I have the one without the extra wheels to move it when folded and it is a pain. This is particularly true when you hit a stone or a lip as the castors drop to the lowest point and the whole thing gets very heavy and tried to crush you.

Marc.

I have one of these : http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cfc1000-1-t-econ-folding-workshop-cran

and have abused it horribly over the years, its been leant out to many (eveining mark :P ) and dropped, overloaded

"3.9 EFI V8 AND LT95 dangling from it sir ?" and if and when it dies I'd buy another without question

No sign of it dying yet - not all clarke stuff is bad

Much is 'brand badged'

Nige

I have one of these : http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cfc1000-1-t-econ-folding-workshop-cran

and have abused it horribly over the years, its been leant out to many (eveining mark :P ) and dropped, overloaded

"3.9 EFI V8 AND LT95 dangling from it sir ?" and if and when it dies I'd buy another without question

No sign of it dying yet - not all clarke stuff is bad

Much is 'brand badged'

Nige

Sounds good - that's the exact one I'm picking up later. Should save me busting my back trying to maul the gearbox out