AWDC Howlin' Wolf 2010

najw

In view of the continuing financial situation, we are aware that an 8 round National Series is a considerable drain on many family's resources. In light of this we have decided that in 2010 the Howlin' Wolf series will consist of 4 rounds with the best 3 results to count.

The dates will be as follows:

11 April

12 June

12 September

7 November

Venues are to be confirmed.

Hopefully this move will also give our competitors more scope to participate in some of the other Challenge events which take place in various parts of the country and abroad.

The only regulation change on the horizon for next year is that Helmets (when required to be worn) must comply with the latest specification laid down by the MSA.

Half'ing the series is a big drop Neil, straight after the government have announced an upturn'sad.gif

especially if you're counting on the XTC because not many of the current motors are compliant with regs (at the moment) from what I can see, with my limited vision.

"21. CRASH HELMETS

Crash helmets are to be used if a solid roof is not fitted. The helmet must conform to the current MSA regulations listed in the ‘blue book’ in section Q. In the event of purchasing a B.S. 6658-85 ‘A’ type helmet this will have a blue B.S. label attached. You are recommended to consider a helmet with a fire resistant lining, the label will read B.S.6658-85 A F/R and is red in colour. Crash helmets with a marking of Snell S A 95 are no longer covered by the MSA insurance and must not be used in any form of motorsport.

Helmets with a green B.S. label are not acceptable for motor sport use.

Helmets should have an MSA compliance sticker affixed to the right hand side by an MSA National A or B scrutineer.

Please protect your helmet from external damage by using a helmet bag or similar, chips within the outer laminate of the helmet may make it unsafe and unusable."

So, if I wear my (non compliant) helmet under my solid roof will I get screamed at by a scrutineer? I'm thinking along the lines of the seat belt v harness regulation.

If you are not required to wear a Crash Helmet then you can wear whatever headgear you like.

That is the wording we have previously agreed with the Scrutineers.

The section you have quoted is from the 2009 regs. The new wording can be found in the Technical Updates section.

HERE

The whole harness thing is an anomaly generated by the MSA unfortunately :angry:

If you are not required to wear a Crash Helmet then you can wear whatever headgear you like.

That is the wording we have previously agreed with the Scrutineers.

The section you have quoted is from the 2009 regs. The new wording can be found in the Technical Updates section.

HERE

The whole harness thing is an anomaly generated by the MSA unfortunately :angry:

That's ok then. :rolleyes:

i can see why you have had to drop the amount of rounds next year as that would probally cover the cost of one of those red label helmets! it's a bit of pain in the rear as i have not long forked out for a pair of blue label helmets so best i keep with a solid roof <_<

To be fair our regs this year did contain an advisory that red label helmets would be coming in this year. However I agree that a hard roof is probably a sensible option.

It is frustrating as an organiser that we keep having rule changes implemented which are largely irrelevant to our sport implemented by the MSA but they are our insurer so we must comply.

Sorry :rolleyes:

I think dropping the number of rounds to four is to bigger amount, and then doing four rounds of xtc when only a few turned up last year i think is a bit of mistake in my opion. The awdc championship is one of the best. I competted in four round this year, started off bad but got better towards the end, and have bought a new truck which is a full chaneage spec not a trial car as i have used this year ready to do the full seris.I can understand the reason behind the changes ie lower numbers, but i would have thought by doing this if someone this running in another seris they would go to that one rather than the awdc event.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Neil, Do you think there will be a time in the future where the overall winner will be dropped in favour of simply class winners? Im only wondering this, as this is one of the few series that has regular and hopfully increased numbers of space frame vehicles. I like these vehicles and can see it is the way forward but in the real world, and excluding breakdowns etc, they are now becoming increasingly impossible to keep up with. This brings me nicely back to my first question of what will be the point in having an overall winner when it will just be the same as the current class one winner? As a class 2 competitor i find it simply excludes you from any form of victory as everyone, myself included,only ever looks at who wins overall. I honestly could not tell you without looking who won class 1,2 or 3 and i cannot be alone!!!! Im sure the winners of all classes would like a slice of the pie? If the point in having classes is because the vehicles are so different from a competitive point of view then how could a class 3,in the spirit of its original interpretation, vehicle ever expect to win overall.(yes i know you are going to tell me that some events have been one by class three vehicles but this will without doubt be a thing of the past) :unsure:

Jon,

i think an overall winner is good, but that aside i always look for the top three in each class, i cant remember all three but i know who won each class. if you also look at it alot of class 2 beat the class 1 overall and 1st Class 3 was 5th overall IIRC so you can compete across the classes, granted its not that easy but as these cl1 get more and more complicated alot of them seem to spend more time fixing rather than competing which opens it up to Cl2 and 3.

you right in that most only look at 1st overall and ignore the rest but then maybe that is just something to strive for?