Tyres

What do people think of 235/85/16 tyres?

To be honest, without more info, that's a bit like saying what do people think of string. It depends on what you are doing with it - if you are tying up John and Edward in advance of beating them with a shovel then it may be ideal, if you are trying to beat eggs or mow a lawn, probably less useful.

What are you putting them on, what are you planning to do with it and what do you want to achieve by changing tyres? (or put another way, what is wrong with the ones on there at the moment that you want to fix) On road, off road, different terrain types off road, looks, roadholding, its an infinitely variable equation and there is no "right" answer - as well as the size you need to think about which of the dozens of available tread patterns might be appropriate.

Not trying to be funny but without more info all I could really say is they are black, round and usually have a hole in the middle :)

as BM says, although i would say they would def have a hole in the middle (que picture of tyre with no hole!!)

i run 235/85 Trac Edges on my 110 - love them, dont want the extra height of the 255 (or the associated change in gearing) dont want the width of a 265 so as a general runabout on pref road going vehicle they suit my needs fine

To be honest, without more info, that's a bit like saying what do people think of string. It depends on what you are doing with it - if you are tying up John and Edward in advance of beating them with a shovel then it may be ideal, if you are trying to beat eggs or mow a lawn, probably less useful.

What are you putting them on, what are you planning to do with it and what do you want to achieve by changing tyres? (or put another way, what is wrong with the ones on there at the moment that you want to fix) On road, off road, different terrain types off road, looks, roadholding, its an infinitely variable equation and there is no "right" answer - as well as the size you need to think about which of the dozens of available tread patterns might be appropriate.

Not trying to be funny but without more info all I could really say is they are black, round and usually have a hole in the middle :)

Beating up John & Edward with a shovel, now theres a thought

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Retro, thanks for the link, have seen it before and found it very useful to compare tyre sizes etc.

Was really looking for first hand experience from people running this size of tire, either on road or off road.

As i have posted in the defender section of the forum i thought my vehicle would be obvious, that coupled with my avatar.

It's a 110 defender CSW 92 200tdi in white.

I probably spend 80% of my time driving on roads

Carry loads of timber on the roof due to my occupation

I live in the alps so snow in the winter is a regular driving condition

Form should follow function (but looks don't hurt)

Have standard suspension, although would like to upgrade to OE HD rear springs at some point.

would like to achieve a bit more ground clearance, with slightly higher gearing as i occasionally do a run or two to Geneva airport on the motorway. But on the flip side there is plenty of off road driving to be had around here.

Hope the extra info helps with peoples replies.

And Bogmonster, i did find that quite amusing!

Yes i am planning on tying John and Edward up, whoever they are,

but was thinking more on the lines of rolling my old tyres at them from the top of a hill,

a bit like a game of human skittles!

Cheers Rusty :ph34r:

For that little bit of extra clearance and gearing (My 300Tdi

never had problems) go for 255.85x16

As to the tread pattern, Cooper Discoverer ST.

Not a snow tyre but M+S marked, Cooper also do a proper snow

tyre called Cooper Discoverer M+S but only goes up to 235.85x16

or 265.75x16 (similar height, but wider).

You must have 7.50x16, judging by you avatar.(110)

205's were usually fitted Defender 90/Ninety's

You can't have both on the same vehicle!

2005_0708_113358AA.jpg

235/85x16 on the front, 7.50x16 on rear.

(Was changing wheels, don't usually drive around like that!) :blink:

I second GG AT2 as a good allround tyre. BUT I don't rate them in the snow anymore.

After last winter's driving experience I now have Cooper Discoverer M+S fitted to

the vehicle*.

Quite a few up here had similar experience with the GG that they are OK for the first

snow season, but then must harden up or something as the second snow season, they we're

scary. They would very easily loose sideways grip. :o

The Cooper M+S has noticeably softer rubber and a lot more siping.

*I now have 2 sets of wheels 1GG and 1 Cooper.

I've had a set of GG AT2 265/75R16 (Paddocks) and have been very satisfied with them. They're on 8" rims (Paddocks) and with wheel spacers (Paddocks) they significantly improve the turning circle of my 110. With 18,000 km, all on tarmac, they have worn about 3mm. I haven't had them on snow yet, but expect to very soon! :unsure:

Mike

I second GG AT2 as a good allround tyre. BUT I don't rate them in the snow anymore.

After last winter's driving experience I now have Cooper Discoverer M+S fitted to

the vehicle*.

Quite a few up here had similar experience with the GG that they are OK for the first

snow season, but then must harden up or something as the second snow season, they we're

scary. They would very easily loose sideways grip.

Interesting - mine have just been changed yesterday for another set and I did think immediately that the ride felt different (better) so maybe they do harden up towards the end of their life, the rears on my Ranger were nearly bald in the middle.

Last winter here was pretty horrendous compared to most years and I still felt they performed fairly well but I run mine very soft when its like that - I think I had about 22psi in them during the snowy weather.

Interesting - mine have just been changed yesterday for another set and I did think immediately that the ride felt different (better) so maybe they do harden up towards the end of their life, the rears on my Ranger were nearly bald in the middle.

Last winter here was pretty horrendous compared to most years and I still felt they performed fairly well but I run mine very soft when its like that - I think I had about 22psi in them during the snowy weather.

I didn't adjust tyre pressures.

Thanks for all the comments.

Cooper are a popular brand over here so will have a closer look at their range, as are maxxis so any recommendations from them would be good.

The old adage goes 'a narrow tyre performs better in snow'. This is why i was initially thinking 235/85/16.

But from the info people are providing here 255, or 265 seem to be a popular choice.

Is there any real advantage to a narrower tyre in snow?

GG AT2 in the snow

Depends what type of driving you want to do in the snow :rolleyes:

On packed snow/ ice covered roads narrow tyres would be best.

Driving in/ on untouched virgin powder like they do in Iceland, go big and wide. :lol: