tow cars

maxtherotti

hi all

i tow a large (26 foot 1850kg) caravan and wondering is there a better car than my disco for towing?

i ask because on long motorway uphills my disco really struggles (nothing wrong with the disco just 4 tonnes prob needs more than 113bhp!!)

so our love for the green oval aside is there a better suited car for my needs?

also auto would prob be better suited and room for the rotti in the back is a must

o and similar fuel economy would be nice too :lol:

ps i cant afford a nice new tdv8 range rover so thats out too :(

im thinking of something in the 4k area

thanks rob

Get a full width intercooler and a pump tweak and you will be amazed at the difference, especially towing uphills. And for about 500 notes considerably cheaper than a vehicle change!

got all of that allready (except my intercooler is stock size not full width)

and i doubt i could get a good lc for 4k ish??(would do if i could tho)

rob

Of course you can if you look hard enough!! I got mine for £2200 almost 2 years ago and it came with a FSH!! Lots around for £4.

Paul

hmmm some searching needed there then

is this the model with the 3 litre diesel?

anything i should look for or avoid with them?

thanks rob

Paul's refering to the 80 series LC from 1990 to 1998, which came with a 4.2L 6 cyl diesel or a 4.5L petrol (both petrol and diesel started out 12 valve then later 24 valve). These are great tow cars, probably the best you can get for true day to day motoring and towing. The 3.0L 4 cyl diesel is fitted to the smaller 90/95 series Cruisers from 1996. The 90 series would not be a massive improvement on the Disco, but are cheaper than the 80 series.

If you really want to go to town buy a big yank, a Chevy suburban would fit the bill, except the fuel ecconomy :lol:

hmmm some searching needed there then

is this the model with the 3 litre diesel?

anything i should look for or avoid with them?

thanks rob

The 80 series has the 4.2 turbo diesel or 4.5 petrol engine. The smaller 90 series had the 3.0l Turbo Diesel.

As for what to look for, get a 1993-94 4.2td auto as you get electic everything and full leather. Make sure the axle lockers work, cost lots to fix!!. Other than that just the normal stuff you look for in any car.

There are some nice ones on ebay right now. Don't worry about mileage as they are good for lots!!

Paul

I have to agree with the landcruiser comments. My brother has just bought an 80 series 4.2td for £1500, its been used and abused and has 270,000 miles! but it still pulls like a train and will do for a lot lot longer. Fuel economy may be a little worse than the disco but not by much, if any, depending how you drive it. Would be a perfect family/tow car.

yeah see my sig the car has had plenty done :)

turbo pressure is still set as stock tho dont want to mess with that with the amount of towing i will be doing next year

dont like the td5 to be fair too much electrics to mess me up in the middle of no where for my liking (plus changing the car for a extra 25 bhp sounds wastefull unless im gaining lots of torque into the bargain)

rob

the 3 litre isuzu troopers (post 1999) don't seem to be fetching much at auction these days, circa £1500 for not too high mileage. they had pretty serious injector seal issues in the past, causing engine self destruction, however this should have been fixed under warranty by now, so i think they should be a fairly safe bet. 168bhp if i remember correctly and the good side of 30mpg.

We have recently got an LWB 80 series land cruiser at home to replace rusted beyond economic redemption range rovers and its great for towing 3500 Kg trailers, which is partly due to the extra weight. One down side of this though is a typically lower MPG. If you only ever towing less than 2000 Kg then the 80 series sounds a little excessive, but then a 26 ft caravan can be like a ruddy big sail in a cross wind so a heavy towing vehicle could be beneficial.

don,t alll laugh and shoot me down,but as a tow car you would do well to look at the ssangyong/daewoo musso,2.9 mercedes tdi engine,merc box,i have seen year 2000 ones for around £1800/2000 gets lots for your money,the daewoo ones had the first 3 years servicing included in purchase price,so most have been looked after.

hi all

i tow a large (26 foot 1850kg) caravan and wondering is there a better car than my disco for towing?

i ask because on long motorway uphills my disco really struggles (nothing wrong with the disco just 4 tonnes prob needs more than 113bhp!!)

Does it really matter than it struggles on long motorway hills? I would agree if you were towing daily but since I assume you are only towing for a few hours per month you can't be losing much time. You can make up the time lost on the downhill bit anyway.

The trade off for something more powerful is a corresponding increase in fuel consumption whatever 4x4 you get.

Look at a V8 rangie , cos you wont get much better consumption with a 4.2 cruiser , I managed to get down to 12mpg on a 60 mile tow at speed with one .

Re rust check out body mounting points (same as disco) If manual the older one dont stand up to heavy towing in 5th for long . HTSH

The 80 series Landcruiser doesn't weigh much more than a Disco or Rangie - about 2300kg dry comapred to 2000 - 2200kg for a Disco. It's the 112" wheelbase and additional power that will help you out while towing.

I'd go for anything long wheel base - that's where you gain on towing, not just power. That leaves Landcruiser, Patrol, 110/130 etc.

Ssangyong Mussos as standard only have 98 bhp and a max towing weight of 2800kg, so not really in the same league as the Discos, Rangies, Landcruisers, Patrols etc.

Oh, if you're getting 12 mpg, just buy a big yank. My 7.3L turbo diesel Ford F350 averages 14 mpg when towing 3500kg at 70 mph. It's got a 173" wheel base and weighs 3000kg, and is Superchipped to 375 bhp and 750lb/ft so I've never had a problem with lack of power or snaking!

Does it really matter than it struggles on long motorway hills? I would agree if you were towing daily but since I assume you are only towing for a few hours per month you can't be losing much time. You can make up the time lost on the downhill bit anyway.

The trade off for something more powerful is a corresponding increase in fuel consumption whatever 4x4 you get.

yeah as next yeah im going touring off round europe for at least 6 months so will be constant towing :o

fuel consumption is a issue tho

rob