where to buy workshop trolley jack??

maxtherotti

I have the Halfords 2.25t "quick lift" 4x4 Jack and I would NOT reccomend it!..

It could do with a bigger jack saddle!, But the main reason I wouldnt reccomend it is that the seals often fail..

I bought my first Halfords 2.25t jack 18 months ago, Since then every single one of them has bust its seal!.. I am on my 6th one and I have only ever jacked up a 2a and a 90 with each one!. Most of them didnt even lift a person after 3 months of general use but the last one simply let its self down which isnt a problem if you use axle stands. But how many people here actually use axle stands whilst changing a wheel? But I keep the reciepts for my jack so every time one fails I take it to Halfrauds and complain how its poor build quality and not safe for use and show them the reciept and they simply give me another jack and a new receipt for 12 months :)

I have a 3t Screwfix (Ferm) jack. As with many cheap jacks of this type it's built to a pretty standard pattern.

One thing that seems to vary though is the quality of the valving inside. With mine it's almost impossible to lower anything gently. The valve locks off tight and the effort it takes to release it then takes you by surprise and suddenly everything's on the floor, not ideal. I've tried lubing all the joints etc but it made no difference :(

Anyway, this is just something to be aware of when you're looking.

I've got one of these "Halfords 3T Speedy Lift Hydraulic Garage Jack Cat code: 644203-0" I've had it about three years and can't fault it. Nice big saddle, very controlled lowering, great for the 90 and the Alhambra but a little to high for the A4.

AD90

Ramco's latest tender listing is out think they are adding photos on Monday, I got a couple from there ex MOD really good quality jacks from there and Axel stands!! I found that for smaller stuff i.e if they can stick it in a box or on a pallet they will deliver for cost. (I dont work for them or anything) just picked up some really good tools latley for very little money.

http://www.ramco.co.uk/tender-main.php?SortByGroups=Yes

Ramco's latest tender listing is out think they are adding photos on Monday, I got a couple from there ex MOD really good quality jacks from there and Axel stands!! I found that for smaller stuff i.e if they can stick it in a box or on a pallet they will deliver for cost. (I dont work for them or anything) just picked up some really good tools latley for very little money.

http://www.ramco.co....ortByGroups=Yes

Sorry I forgot to add, that I know that they sell them in big lots then you need I sold the ones I didnt need on e-bay and made more money than they cost me it total and got to keep two (I Like free tools!!)

I recently bought a 3tonne low profile one from Costco. About £65.

Was in Costco today and they have replaced their very nice Ali jack with a very handy looking low profile jack. If I had the money I would have bought it.

Marc.

One thing that seems to vary though is the quality of the valving inside. With mine it's almost impossible to lower anything gently. The valve locks off tight and the effort it takes to release it then takes you by surprise and suddenly everything's on the floor, not ideal. I've tried lubing all the joints etc but it made no difference :(

Anyway, this is just something to be aware of when you're looking.

We got on of the cheap trolley jack at home the other year, can't remember which brand, but the valve on it wasn't nice for lowering. We just drilled a hole though the handle and stuck a short length of bar though so that its not easier to control. Personally I don't like the twist handle types, but you have to pay a lot more for the trolley jacks with ridged handles and locking/lowering triggers.