LRS Offroad Slimline Winch Bumpers

Hello all,

Quick question. I'm going to be fitting a TDS lowline winch to my 90 in the new year, and so I need to get myself a winch bumper. Now, I'm not a fan of huge contraptions that bolt on the front of the truck and look (in my view) ridiculous. What I would like is something as close to the original design as possible, it doesn't need to have recovery eyes or Hi-Lift points built in as I have both of these already between my steering guard and the dumbirons. I already have an A-bar, and if I can keep that then even better.

As far as I can see, my options are either the one David Bowyer sells on his site (which he doesn't provide a very good picture of unfortunately) at £189.00, or this one I found on eBay from LRS Offroad.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220458168268

Since the latter is £25 cheaper even before adding VAT to Bowyer's one, I'm tempted to go for that one. Hopefully I'd be able to ask nicely for him to do one without the recovery rings/jacking points as above.

What I would like to know is, does anyone have any experience of the LRS one above, or the Bowyer one (larger photos perhaps) and would they reccommend either?

And are there any other options for a simple, slimline winch bumper as outlined earlier? I don't mind cutting the bottom of the grille out to clear the winch, if that is what's necessary to get the setup I want.

Many thanks

Devon have quite a few options in their "standard" range

http://www.devon4x4....s-/-mounts.html

They appear to have a viable option there, but it still has a bulge at the front...which is something I'd like to avoid if possible.

the First Four ones look nice :)

These?

http://www.firstfour...nder/221054.htm

Personally I think they look silly, I don't like the way the bit in the middle rises :(

Just make sure that the one you pick can accept a TDS.

TDS's along with the Superwinch EP's and Come-up's are longer than traditional lowline winches like the warn. Especially the motor end is longer from bolt pattern, so some bumpers won't accommodate later style winches.

you could always make your own and re-use your existing bumper.

weld in a nice plate between the front chassis legs

winchplate.jpg

weld on some tabs for the fairlead

fairleadmount.jpg

cut the standard front bumper up a bit to fit around the winch and allow the fairlead to bolt through the front of it.

finishedwinch.jpg

voila - standard lowline winch fitted behind/inside the original landrover bumper. Bumper will now be quite weak with so much chopped out of the middle, so weld on some appropriate plates the bottom and bottom leading edge and job done.

Mine stayed like that for about a year before i finally changed to a tubular effort - but only cos i kept bending the ends of the bumper back into the wings by hitting trees and gullies......

and yes, you can still refit the A bar as well.

James quick question how much are you bothered about approach angles? Some of the cheaper bumpers like devons non comp ones hang over quite a bit compared too standard items.

Also have you bought the winch yet? If not My Bowyer always seems happy to do a deal.

Dave.

James quick question how much are you bothered about approach angles? Some of the cheaper bumpers like devons non comp ones hang over quite a bit compared too standard items.

Also have you bought the winch yet? If not My Bowyer always seems happy to do a deal.

Dave.

I haven't no. I will be speaking to him when I do about a total cost of buying the lot off him.

My idea was to try and retain the original bumper position and therefore the original (reasonably good) approach angle.

Ross, tubular ones are all well and good but it still comes under the 'huge ugly lump of metal' category in my view :P

nicks90: I like that idea very much, unfortunately I lack the fabrication skill/equipment to do something like that currently. Although, I will be getting a welder in the new year to play around with and start trying to learn, so you never know :)

Thanks to all for the replies chaps :)

Hello all,

Quick question. I'm going to be fitting a TDS lowline winch to my 90 in the new year, and so I need to get myself a winch bumper. Now, I'm not a fan of huge contraptions that bolt on the front of the truck and look (in my view) ridiculous. What I would like is something as close to the original design as possible, it doesn't need to have recovery eyes or Hi-Lift points built in as I have both of these already between my steering guard and the dumbirons. I already have an A-bar, and if I can keep that then even better.

As far as I can see, my options are either the one David Bowyer sells on his site (which he doesn't provide a very good picture of unfortunately) at £189.00, or this one I found on eBay from LRS Offroad.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220458168268

Since the latter is £25 cheaper even before adding VAT to Bowyer's one, I'm tempted to go for that one. Hopefully I'd be able to ask nicely for him to do one without the recovery rings/jacking points as above.

What I would like to know is, does anyone have any experience of the LRS one above, or the Bowyer one (larger photos perhaps) and would they reccommend either?

And are there any other options for a simple, slimline winch bumper as outlined earlier? I don't mind cutting the bottom of the grille out to clear the winch, if that is what's necessary to get the setup I want.

Many thanks

Give Derek at ring at LRS, nice bloke and very knowledgeable, have bought lots of stuff of him ovr the years.

Keith

you could always make your own and re-use your existing bumper.

weld in a nice plate between the front chassis legs

winchplate.jpg

weld on some tabs for the fairlead

fairleadmount.jpg

cut the standard front bumper up a bit to fit around the winch and allow the fairlead to bolt through the front of it.

finishedwinch.jpg

voila - standard lowline winch fitted behind/inside the original landrover bumper. Bumper will now be quite weak with so much chopped out of the middle, so weld on some appropriate plates the bottom and bottom leading edge and job done.

Mine stayed like that for about a year before i finally changed to a tubular effort - but only cos i kept bending the ends of the bumper back into the wings by hitting trees and gullies......

and yes, you can still refit the A bar as well.

Thanks for posting that its exactly what I was looking for. The simplicity and use of original gear is excellent.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks

Hello!

I agree with You and I am also on the lookout for something slim and practical!

I wrote to landrover598 on this forum asking him about his setup, see post #36 on this thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=1351&hl=100inch&st=20

His bumper is made by him 6mm steel with a Superwinch EP9.

I love it!

The build isnt to bad either, :rolleyes:

Would be nice to see what you will choose! Good Luck!

Marius