Service from qt (or lack of)

dirtydiesel

If the welding is poor, then the whole thing is rubbish. A safety device can then become a death trap. Not insulting Dirtydiesels qualifications as a welder, but spotting poor welds isn't rocket science, if the weld looks like it's sitting on the metal, rather than a part of it, then it's not going to be strong enough for it's intended purpose. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that don't realise that their safety device could so easily be a killing projectile because some idiot can't weld properly.

carp welding is my pet hate.

(assuming you aren't going into x-rays/crack testing)

But it's obvious that with poor welding it's more likely.

Les. :)

Couldn't agree more...

It is difficult to give the kind of discounts traders want (Need?) without making a loss yourself once you factor in your overheads.

I actually rather like some of the Scorpion kit - bumpers in particular. I'd sooner stick needles in my eyes than buy them - but they do look nice!

Si

To right, especially when the end user is always looking for a 'bargain' and driving the price down, thus giving birth to the need for high overhead companies to 'reduce manufacturing/buying costs'.

I thought long and hard before buying from Scorpion and I searched the market for the right product. My decision was made by certain circumstances that forced the choice somewhat. And oddly enough, I felt guilty with my choice of supplier, not just becuase of your treatment but because I know most of the other suppiers who have recieved similar rewards or worse

Hey ho - such is life

If the welding is poor, then the whole thing is rubbish. A safety device can then become a death trap. Not insulting Dirtydiesels qualifications as a welder, but spotting poor welds isn't rocket science, if the weld looks like it's sitting on the metal, rather than a part of it, then it's not going to be strong enough for it's intended purpose. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that don't realise that their safety device could so easily be a killing projectile because some idiot can't weld properly.

carp welding is my pet hate.

(assuming you aren't going into x-rays/crack testing)

Les. :)

I never said there was a lack of penetration, because I can't prove it.

But i did suspect that the welds had very little penetration,

I did fancy cutting one up and dye penning it.

Anyone want to volunteer their arms for a bit of destructive testing?

The Rakeway arms are "Precision machined from quality aluminium alloy", shame they only seem to do DiscoII arms at the moment, I guess cos they are catering for the race/Bowler market.

You wouldn't want an aluminium bolt on the end of an older style arm!!! :o

Surely you can make a steel arm that is as light without the inherent fatigue problem that aluminium has.

You wouldn't want an aluminium bolt on the end of an older style arm!!! :o

Surely you can make a steel arm that is as light without the inherent fatigue problem that aluminium has.

Possibly! Aluminium has better performance in compression than steel - and the arms need better compressive strength (on braking - or hitting a curb, fast) than tensile. The grade of Aluminium used is nowhere near as prone to fatigue or work harnening as most of the stuff you come across (coke cans and the like).

Reckon they could be very good if they have done their homework.

I suspect the compressive strength issue is why Land Rovers use cast steel as standard. Ones made from welded plate are probably plenty up to the job for 99% of use - Land Rover and Equippe just cover the extra 1% as well.

Si

Possibly! Aluminium has better performance in compression than steel - and the arms need better compressive strength (on braking - or hitting a curb, fast) than tensile. The grade of Aluminium used is nowhere near as prone to fatigue or work harnening as most of the stuff you come across (coke cans and the like).

Reckon they could be very good if they have done their homework.

I suspect the compressive strength issue is why Land Rovers use cast steel as standard. Ones made from welded plate are probably plenty up to the job for 99% of use - Land Rover and Equippe just cover the extra 1% as well.

Si

From what I've seen 7075 is a possible grade they may have used, IIRC it's also the grade they use for making main wing spars for commercial jet aircraft

From what I've seen 7075 is a possible grade they may have used, IIRC it's also the grade they use for making main wing spars for commercial jet aircraft

The difference with aircraft parts is they are usually inspected regularly and replaced periodically whether they need it or not.

I have seen plenty of failed 7005 and 7075 mountain bike frames. I agree that the arms, if designed correctly, are a good idea, but I would never fit them to a road-going vehicle.

Gong off topic a bit here, but why is there big concern about the weight of these arms ?

As I understand it lighter arms reduce the unsprung weight of the suspension which can improve the handling of fast road and race cars. Can't imagine it matters that much if you're prepping an off-roader?

I suppose anything that reduces the overall weight of whole vehicle helps -- but in the overall scheme of things I would have thought that the weight savings of lighter arms are pretty insignificant?

:(:unsure:

in certain situations, ally would be a superior material from which to make the arms, as it does have a slightly better strength-to-weight ratio than steel... however i don't think its worth the agro, on a 2 tonne+ off roader or challenge truck does a couple of kilos make any difference... 'of course it doesn't.. it might on a racer.. but not for mucking about in quarries. :rolleyes:

ally is easier to damage than steel (in some situations) and does suffer from fatigue problems, but as already said, if its the right grade, and its been heat treated/ manufactured properly then it would be fine....

i'd love to hear one of the numpties at scorpion explain the steel v ally arguement... might ask them at Billing.... ;)

I have seen plenty of failed 7005 and 7075 mountain bike frames.

going off off topic. how come you get to see these frames, any pics? where in the frame do they normally fail? what usually is the cause (lardy blokes doing 6 ft jumps :o )

going off off topic. how come you get to see these frames, any pics? where in the frame do they normally fail? what usually is the cause (lardy blokes doing 6 ft jumps :o )

All those that I have seen have failed at the downtube to headstock joint ……. It usually starts off as a small crack just behind the weld, then just gives out with no warning. I have always assumed that this area must be highly stressed when jumping etc ………… my son has broken two….. Kona & Cannondale :angry: ………. He has now gone back to some fancy moly Cr steel frame (‘kin expensive). ……. So far so good …… but it maybe that now he is nearing his thirties perhaps he is not quite so stupid daring :D .

Ian

Apples and oranges. Mountain bike frame are purposely made as light as possible without them failing too often. Racer do NOT EVER run a frame more than half a season because they will ALL break when used hard.

For us, weight is not a big concern unless you are racing. Having the radius arm not collapse when emergency braking on the highway is a bit of a concern though.