multi-map while laning

Yeah, i kept thinking about that, but with the price of netbooks as low as they are, i think the in car PC and touchscreen job loses on price and security. A netbook (slowish processor i know but up to the job) with an internet connection - perhaps via a mobile - and a proper mount will be just as tidy and removeable.

I believe ram do some pretty good solid laptop mounts, may be a bit much for a netbook though. I have been considering these sort of options for running memory map. I would be pretty tempted if i was doing a single vehicle to install. to mount a netbook / small laptop via a strap or glue'd fixings to the roof / headlining and have the screen fold down. combined with a touchscreen or bluetooth keyboard / mouse I think it would be a neat solution for memory map, and keep it well away from water.

I have a HP TC4200 tablet PC, I have a small bracket on the passenger side of the dash that it slips into and then a strap that holds it in place. (will take some photos later) The bracket is a simple "basket" scaled down type you see waffle boards in, with a simple strap over the top this means that I can remove the Laptop when not in use! Or I want to type something using the keyboard.

I looked at several options including small netbooks etc (I am lucky to have access to lots of Tec) but the tablet was best as I had no need for a keyboard or mouse and could just use the touch screen/pen. It survived a trip over the Pyrenees this summer however I am going to change the hard drive to a solid state one as these are better at taking the

I have it hooked up to a small inverter for power and have hidden the PSU so the lead just plugs in

I use my Vodafone 3g for internet access and a Bluetooth GPS transmitter for mapping, I have just brought a odb2 to USB connector and software to enable me to run diagnostics on board, I like the dash board idea some people have when running and spotting a problem before it becomes a big one appeals to me.

Anyway short answer buy a tablet PC flat mount to dash on removal bracket, add whatever goodies you want.

Jason.

post-15513-12608271197_thumb.jpg

Anyway short answer buy a tablet PC flat mount to dash on removal bracket, add whatever goodies you want.

Jason.

how do PC tablets work? are they just a single layered (ie no lid) laptop/netbook? or do you need to plug them into something?

some photos of your set up would be nice. sounds interesting. roughly how much are the tablets?

Thanks

Hey

Thinking of getting a lil laptop with multi-map for when im greenlaning.

i want to put in on a holder that sits to the dash or something so i can use it with/without a passenger.

anyone done this/got any ideas where it could go/how it could fit?

thanks,

Pete

Pretty sure someone in the members vehicles forum has done this. Worth doing a search.

HTH.

Mark

how do PC tablets work? are they just a single layered (ie no lid) laptop/netbook? or do you need to plug them into something?

some photos of your set up would be nice. sounds interesting. roughly how much are the tablets?

Thanks

I think Seans pics are already what you want to see - that is an example of a tablet.

Very neat by the way Sean - nice solution.

I think Seans pics are already what you want to see - that is an example of a tablet.

Very neat by the way Sean - nice solution.

yer, i just didnt know if it was an add on to a laptop, or it ran on its own... but had a look and now realise what they are. seem very expencive compaired to a netbook tho :S

You could always try one of these......

post-9229-126089410885_thumb.jpg

post-9229-126089412292_thumb.jpg

fully featured Windows XP SP3, 7" touchscreen, 1.5Ghz,60gB of music and films, bluetooth for phone, WiFi for mobile Web plus GPS for Satnav.

Pc is in a custom box bolted to bulkhead behind drivers seat.

post-9229-126089428046_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the quality of pictures - will take some in daylight if anyone is interested.

Dave.

Thanks

there are two forms of tablet ones with screens that turn around i.e. the lid and ones with no/removal keyboard and just a touch screen. They are coming down in price and a previsouly enjoyed one can be had for little money. as you are only going to use internet explorer and some other small programs you don't need a NASSA computer with a massive hard drive 1gb of RAM and a 40GB hard drive will do it. you need a couple of USB ports and can make sure you get windows tablet addition so that the touch screen etc will work.

I will take some photos of the bracket but it is simlar to Sean's but mounted lower down on the passanger side.

Jason.

I have a Toughbook CF18 which has a screen you flip round to use as a tablet. Got it off Ebay from a hot air baloonist loaded with the whole of the UK in Memory Map inc a lot of 25k maps. Got the whole of S Ireland as well for which I use Ozi Explorer.

I'm fairly tall so although the mount looks high it doesn't obstruct my view of the road, could be mounted lower with a pre 02 dash or no Mud console in the way.

I researched using a car pc but I can shift the Toughbook between vehicles and indoors (typing this on it now)

The Maplin thing runs Windows CE, which after some Internet searching appears to me to be pretty much useless. I guess there are some programs for it, but unless I am mistaken it won't run Memory Map (neither the PC, nor the PDA version, as these need Windows Mobile, and Windows CE is a "subset" of that, or some sort of kernel.

Been looking at all these mini netbooks, and they're relatively cheap (very if on Windows CE), a bit more on Linux and then there's a jump as soon as they come with XP.

Back to the drawing board for me, but now I'm thinking of an old laptop, with a dash-mounted (headrest) monitor from Halfrauds for about £70.

Ram mounts as identified by Ralph are excellent, I use one on a Toshiba Portege P3500 touch screen tablet with Memory Map, it's for sale by the way if you are interested.

Have upgraded to a Toughbook, pending an overland trip to Morocco.

I will use a Ram Mount attached to a cradle for the Toughbook.

John

I started off with a 7" touch screen mounted on the dash, I ran it from a car PC. It was pretty good, but had quite a few downsides too.

1. Windows XP is not really suited to touch screen operation,

2. A 7" screen involves a lot of scrolling when trying to plan routes,

3. A car PC is not so easy to just take indoors and play with. There's a few more.

I think a laptop is more suited due to its transportability.

Current solution for me is a 12" Dell Latitude that sits on top of a home-made holder that is fixed to the centre cubby box. Laptop is held in place by some industrial strength Velcro. This has been quite successful so far, although I need to add a screen steady element.

post-7124-12609987855_thumb.jpg post-7124-12609987906_thumb.jpg post-7124-126099879564_thumb.jpg

As has been mentioned by others, RAM mounts are very good. Paul Humphreys has a superb setup in his TLC, but it costs quite a few £££.

My version above was knocked up in a couple of hours from bits I had lying about and is removable in less than a minute. :i-m_so_happy:

The table can rotate so can easily be used by driver or passenger.