Cold weather problem - frozen door lock

Whats the consensus on frozen door locks? It was apparently -15DegC when I arrived at work this morning (my 300TDi doesnt have these fangle outside air temperature sensors but unlike Mondeo-man I got to work!) and the door lock / key hole / door button had frozen solid.

Options available:

1. De-icer - doesnt seem to work too well

2. Hot water - temporary fix until it then freezes up again even worse

3. Wee Wee!

4. Leave unlocked - not advised

Jon

Have a read of this...

http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=382983.0

In the end I stuck some Velcro on above the drivers door handle. Made a piece of cloth with Velcro on to cover the lock with. It seems to work.

That was after I sprayed inside the door and the outside of the lock with WD 40

Tonight I've left the fan heater plugged in but switched off so that I can switch the heater on from the garage if the locks are frozen.

HTH

I too am having this problem now.

My 110 has 2 doors that cannot be opened from the outside and 1 that can't be used at all...but then they are 99% rust.

I have covered the drivers door lock and button in grease and the lock mechanism, then pulled the door card away a bit and went crazy with WD and the door seal. Hopefully it will open in the morning....if not I'll crawl in from the boot haha

Vaseline on the sides of the button and over the rubber door seals is something I do here where frozen doors and locks are common in winter. I also carry a lighter in my pocket, (though I don't smoke) to heat the key before putting in the lock for a few seconds before turning.

I can climb into mine under the canvas so the doors being frozen to the seals is inconvenient but not a stopper. Needing to put more fuel in and finding the filler cap frozen up was a bit of a blow though. In the end repeated application of heated key and deicer got it sorted.

Glad I wasn't the only one, I too had the same problem :)

I found using a lighter to heat up the key works a treat, you'll hear a sizzle and hey presto the locks de-ice! Did this on Monday and the locks have been clear since, so it's worth doing thoroughly the first time.

Cheers,

mr_mcp

Locks have been fine here, but I have had the entire mechanism freeze up inside the door so turning the key just served to attempt to bend stuff!

Eventually took the panel off the door, de-iced, WD-40'd and then white grease everywhere, this morning was no problem :)

Locks have been fine here, but I have had the entire mechanism freeze up inside the door so turning the key just served to attempt to bend stuff!

Eventually took the panel off the door, de-iced, WD-40'd and then white grease everywhere, this morning was no problem smile.gif

You do know that your Range Rover has heated door locks don't you Pete.....?

Just hold the handle out for 30 secs (or so, I forget - check the manual) and it de ices the locks.

Oh, hang on, yours isn't a Vogue SE is it?

Sorry, back under my rock........

You do know that your Range Rover has heated door locks don't you Pete.....?

Just hold the handle out for 30 secs (or so, I forget - check the manual) and it de ices the locks.

Oh, hang on, yours isn't a Vogue SE is it?

Sorry, back under my rock........

It is a Vogue SE, how dare you!   :rtfm::P:D

I've had the door apart and there's no sign of heated door locks at all, or latch.... no wires except the central locking actuator -maybe this was standard in Canada, or on later vehicles (like the Bishtail) or just slightly better specced ones? Must say the heated screen is a godsend in this weather :)

Hit mine with WD40 and it seemed to do the trick, lets see how long the remedy lasts.

Jon

oil and grease attracts dust and muck which apparently is not good for locks graphite powder is recommended ;)

Eventually took the panel off the door, de-iced, WD-40'd and then white grease everywhere, this morning was no problem :)

That was my problem

I couldn't even open the drivers door from the inside.