What would you buy?

M005

So, you're in the market for a Land Rover as a 3rd vehicle / toy, to be used to laning, pay & play days, drive round days etc.

There are other vehicles in the household to do all other duties and as such the toy would probably only do a maximum of 2k miles per year.

With this in mind you don't want to lose a lot of cash on whatever is purchased should you wish to sell after a year or two.

So, what do you buy, for how much and why?

What "did" I buy?

10 years ago I wanted a toy to play in the mud. My "smart" 4x4 was collecting dents too frequently!

I bought, and still have, an 11 year old 90.

Initially it was doing upto 10k a year but now it is 1 of 4 cars we have it is only doing ~3k.

If I had to sell it, I would expect 60-70% of what I paid for it 10 years ago.

However, I have probaby spent 3 times that in repairs and maintenance :o

For the cost I would say a Disco 1. They are more prone to rust than other trucks, but the initial outlay is a fraction of a 90, with nearly all the fun and capabilities of a standard 90.

Howevery, buying a rustbucket is easy to do, so a doing a lot of research would helpt to prevent buying a money pit.

But we all want a 90....

I bought an MGF.

I had a Landy, which I knew well and understood the faults and "features". I had plans for it but not that wouldn't compromise its daily duties. Another car could fill the daily driver role and add some fun into the bargain, and free up the Ninety for some sillier / less practical modifications.

Otherwise, I'd go for an £800 Disco because it can only ever depreciate £800 and they're not too bad to drive to playdays etc. Or a SnoCat - you know you want to :)

So, you're in the market for a Land Rover as a 3rd vehicle / toy, to be used to laning, pay & play days, drive round days etc.

I was too, ended up buying a V8 range rover classic :D

Fuel economy dont worry as not many miles per year, although if worried buy one with gas. No modifications needed as their excellent in standard form. Serious comfort and big grin from the V8. :D

Cheap to buy (£2000) for good late one with gas and no problem selling them, although expect to get your hands dirty from working on it.

i;d buy a toyota landcruiser :ph34r: runs and hides...

sorry, but i would. Short wheel base 3.0td or the 2.5td if funds are tight.

If i could start all over again and had that money in my pocket i would not have bought my tdi 90 7 years ago. You're probably going to do something with the suspension anyway, so the lack of flex in the standard toyota compared to a standard 90/disco isnt an issue. With the right springs and shocks (cost no more than landrover aftermarket suspension packages) they can flex just as well as a tricked up 90.

But then you have the added advantage of a proper interior that you can sit in, proper rear seats with seat belts that normal humans can sit in (which you dont get in a 90, and the second row in a 110 is aweful), overall size is simillar to a 90, they are infinitely more reliable, axles are stronger and they are much nicer to drive on the road.

Failing that, a nissan patrol swb. Not very common, but they do crop up time to time. May look bigger than a 90, but only by a couple of inches. They also have a much tighter turning circle than a 90, which is good for trials. Again, epic reliability - good suspension - extremely strong axles and a comfy interior.

in no way linked to this sale - but this looks nice!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Landcruiser-3-0td-swb-offroader_W0QQitemZ280450231922QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item414c22ee72

Why do people slate defender interiors so much?

The front of my 90 is spot on for big mileage, drove to Tong, did a P&P and drove back. Large mileage over a weekend.

Found it fine, no aches or anything like that, 70mph nearly all the way, 30mpg on MTs. What more can you want? unsure.gif

I like the interior of mine too. Feel very cosy and comfortable in there, even on long journeys :)

Only thing I would improve would be to replace the seat cushions, as they are a bit old and worn.

i;d buy a toyota landcruiser :ph34r: runs and hides...

sorry, but i would. Short wheel base 3.0td or the 2.5td if funds are tight.

If i could start all over again and had that money in my pocket i would not have bought my tdi 90 7 years ago. You're probably going to do something with the suspension anyway, so the lack of flex in the standard toyota compared to a standard 90/disco isnt an issue. With the right springs and shocks (cost no more than landrover aftermarket suspension packages) they can flex just as well as a tricked up 90.

But then you have the added advantage of a proper interior that you can sit in, proper rear seats with seat belts that normal humans can sit in (which you dont get in a 90, and the second row in a 110 is aweful), overall size is simillar to a 90, they are infinitely more reliable, axles are stronger and they are much nicer to drive on the road.

Failing that, a nissan patrol swb. Not very common, but they do crop up time to time. May look bigger than a 90, but only by a couple of inches. They also have a much tighter turning circle than a 90, which is good for trials. Again, epic reliability - good suspension - extremely strong axles and a comfy interior.

in no way linked to this sale - but this looks nice!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Landcruiser-3-0td-swb-offroader_W0QQitemZ280450231922QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item414c22ee72

Yes Nick, they might be stronger and more reliable. BUT parts cost A LOT compared LR and no matter how well engineered a vehicle is, it will break when you use it offroad, even my Mog does this frequently and it's built outrageously strong! And then there are the rust, rust and then a bit more rust. Of course a landy does this aswell but atleast the parts that are aluminum can't rust, and the chassis isn't the size of a twig.

I'd say a 90 of some sorts, the best out-of-the-box offroader. IF very tight budget then a 88 with a couple of mods is almost as capable as a 90, but a bit harder to steer etc.

Why do people slate defender interiors so much?

The front of my 90 is spot on for big mileage, drove to Tong, did a P&P and drove back. Large mileage over a weekend.

Found it fine, no aches or anything like that, 70mph nearly all the way, 30mpg on MTs. What more can you want? unsure.gif

Take the rose tinted specs off!! blink.gif

Terrible driving position, terrible seats, terrible noise, terrible demist (side windows) Stooopid handbrake position for starters!

Don't get me wrong, I am a Land Roverenthusiast, but there is no way, even if you enjoy your LR interior that you can honestly beleive it is in any way comarable to any of the Japanese offerings.

Oh, and I would buy the cruiser too! laugh.gif

You could buy your old Discovery for the 3rd time.............

(I'll get me coat :D )

:wacko: I wonder where that is now?

Last seen circa 2003/4 in the car park of Intel in Swindon, before being driven off by a large Irishman in exchange for an envelope of £20's, heading straight for the ferry back to ROI.

Currently on the fruitless search for a 90......

as a third vehicle I'd have to go for a tax free classic (in fact I did and got my S2).

Series running costs are peanuts.

101s make no sense but I'd be very very tempted.

Range Rover Classics take some beating, finding a cheap really early one might happen.

Looking at newer an early 200 Discovery would be worth a punt (especially a G---WAC V8)

If I was you I'd keep an open mind and look hard at everything, something will jump out at you.

Will :)