Sankey + 110 in a 20' container ???

FFR

Hi all,

I'm planning to ship the 110 and the sankey overseas, but the container measures only 5,88 meters, while the combo 110 + sankey is 7,61 meters long.

Now, the funny part:

I have been making some measurements/drawings/calculations and it seems that,once dismantling the sankey's box, if I remove the trailer's wheels, lift the chassis by the towing ring up to the roof, and hold the weight with the defender's front bumper (with some ad-hoc bars), the container's door might be closed, leaving the sankey's box in a side.

The questions:

Have you ever seen/heard something like this before?

I will need some time/help to dismantle the sankey and arrange the things in the container, is space/help ready to be hired for this task in the port? what about at the destiny port?

Will the shipping agency allow me to pack the things inside in such way?

Thanks a lot for your replies. I have absolutely no idea about all this stuff, but maybe someone has experience/references/links about it.

Regards,

FFR

Whayt you'll be allowed to do when filling the container is up to your shipping agent. They should let you do that BUT may charge you for the time you are doing it. Why not just pay the extra for a 40 foot box ?

Hi Mike,

It's from Europe to Australia, 20' to 40' is a grrrrrreat difference

Cheers,

Carlos

Never been very good at these sorts of questions (sounds like a maths exam from school!) but I do know that the rings welded to the inner roof of an ISO container are VERY strong. Recently saw a Volvo hanging from them - ratchet strap through each wheel up to the eyes on the container and winched up!

How long is a Sankey? Would it sit on it's tail inside a container?

Hi Simon,

Sankey is 2,92 meters long, and container's inner height is (in the worst case) 2,26 meters.

Trailers in Oz are VERY expensive compared with my mint GBP 250 disk-braked sankey, so it worth the trip. I had to review the Australian legislation and design rules and, after sending some emails to the transport authority there, it seems that the sankey (and the landie) can be registered there.

Carlos

OK, so not knowing the dimensions, but hoping to help, is there any way the Sankey body could fit on the roof of the 110 perhaps (fill it with stuff even)? Then stand the sankey up. You could tow it in/off the port without needing time on the dock, and re-assemble at the roadside?

Just thinking outside of the box so to speak :D

Hi,

Thanks you for your post,

there is no room on top, roughly 20 cm (8 inches). On the other hand, an unladen sankey weights in exceed of 350 kilos (160 pounds), so you have to be Superman to put it on top of the defender !!!

or a 30foot box or unhitch the trailer & shove it's drawbar as far as possible under the 110 to reduce the overall length, lots of strong lashing rings inside to ensure niether move until unloaded.

Hi Western,

After looking at a dozen agents web-pages, I haven't seen any 30' box, so I have to look at it twice or make some calls.

Simon's statement was very useful: I can place the trailer in the end of the container, suspend it from the roof with straps/chains and drive the defender into the container with the front windscreen dismantled, as well as the door tops (it's a nice military 110 300tdi) until the drawbar reaches the roll cage between the seats...

I have to make some measurements hanging the trailer with the forklift, but I'm in the way thanks to you guys !

A 110 inside a 20 foot box, with the handbrake on and in gear doesn't half move about.....Even well tied down. I still have a snapped strap tied to the front recovery point.......

Martin

I have to take my top box off and take the jerry cans off the rack to get my 110 into a box.

As has been said already, what you can do with the container and how much it costs depends on your shipping agents at both ends.

When we've shipped vehicles over there and back we've always "packed" them ourselves for the trip out, usually while the lorry driver sits in his cab. It's cheaper that way anyway and it's a lot less nerve wracking than dropping the vehicle off in a car park and hoping it comes out of a container at the other end ! You can pretty much do anything you like although the container owners don't really like you nailing batons to the floor with 6 inch nails...

There is a RORO ferry to Australia that might be an option for a single vehicle although it takes longer to get there and security of items not bolted down can be a problem. I know it visits a lot of countries apart from the UK, not sure if it visits Spain though.

30ft containers are rare but available however you'll probably pay the same as a 40ft. Last time we shipped we added the length of all 3 vehicles together and came to 40'6" so tried to get a 45' container (also very rare but they do exist) but the surcharge was extortionate so in the end it came down to removing bumpers and ensuring the vehicles were interlocked a bit.

A good shipping agent is worth his weight in gold BTW, choosing the wrong agent at this end last time cost us dear as his incompetence led to delays and problems with customs. Fortunately the shipping agent we found to handle the Australian end was an absolute star and dug us out of the hole the UK agent had left us in. If we do it again we'll use the Australian agent to handle everything and the container would go by rail to the docks, not road.

Tip I got from a guy who used to export a lot of LR's was to drive it in onto four old tyres laid on the floor, helps stop it moving about.

Sankey-wise, can you unbolt the wheels and stuff the front of it under the back of the 110, possibly upside-down?

Hi all,

Really astonished with your fast and useful replies, thanks a lot. It won't be until the summer that I will start moving things, although I expect to be there in less than six months (crossing fingers).

Mmgemini, Sankey's wheeled height is one meter, but I have to check with measure tape with and without wheels. Once I make the first "interlocking tests" I will post some photos, promised.

Dave, I will contact (disturb) you during the week to get more information about the RORO and the agent you used in Oz. No matter if the RORO doesn't stop in Spain (in fact, I bought the sankey from Withams and drove all the way back to Spain with it !)

Carlos

Tip I got from a guy who used to export a lot of LR's was to drive it in onto four old tyres laid on the floor, helps stop it moving about.

Sankey-wise, can you unbolt the wheels and stuff the front of it under the back of the 110, possibly upside-down?

Hi,

Well, once you drive the 110 into a 20' container there is (roughly) no more than one meter left. Sankey's box measures almost two meters long, and the drawbar another good meter. I will try to put a drawing during the week, if I have the time.

Thank you for your interest,

Carlos

Hi,

Thanks you for your post,

there is no room on top, roughly 20 cm (8 inches). On the other hand, an unladen sankey weights in exceed of 350 kilos (160 pounds), so you have to be Superman to put it on top of the defender !!!

:lol: I know they're heavy, I have one myself and struggle to push it up the drive (it is quite a slope). I meant could the body be removed and put on the roof (still heavy I know). That would have left just the rolling chassis... But 8" isn't going to be enough, the tub is about 18" deep I think.

If the container is only 2.1m high you won't be able to stand it up on it's back end either <_<

You could get a 40ft container, put an extra Sankey in and sell it at the other end for a bit of profit :ph34r::D

how about putting some scabby old steel wheels on the 110 (no tyres) to get some headroom (i have done this to change chassis before you end up with approx 1.5" under the sals diff!) then put the sankey in backwards, tie it to the roof (or sit it on a mezzanine type subframe) take its wheels off, you might then have enough space to drive the 110 under it. you have approx 1m to play with, then 1m for the bonnet so might get away with it

Mike

how about putting some scabby old steel wheels on the 110 (no tyres) to get some headroom (i have done this to change chassis before you end up with approx 1.5" under the sals diff!) then put the sankey in backwards, tie it to the roof (or sit it on a mezzanine type subframe) take its wheels off, you might then have enough space to drive the 110 under it. you have approx 1m to play with, then 1m for the bonnet so might get away with it

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes, you're right. I saw something like this when a guy was trying to load his 4x4 Iveco camper and put some special rims to decrease the overall height.

On the other hand, I found a Ro-Ro ferry wich goes from Santander (north of Spain) to Adelaide (among other cities) but it specifies in the standard procedures that vehicles that look militar are not allowed onboard.

http://www.hoegh.com/autoliners/multimedia/archive/00004/Global_Terminal_Instr_4258a.pdf

"Cargo that is not listed as military cargo, but look likes it, shall not be accepted... :ph34r:

There are still some months to prepare papers, and to experiment with the forklift and the measure tape... I'll keep you informed :)

Where have I read in the last month...Ex military vehicles have to be "cleared" so to speak to leave these shores.....

My top box is 3.7 metres long. I know it goes in front of my Defender on the floor.

So. Is it possible to park the Sankey on its tailboard up against the back of the box. Then drive the 110 into the box hard up against the wheels of the Sankey.

I would caution against stuffing everything in too tight. Stuff can and does move in a container especially in rough seas and if you leave an inch to spare and it moves an inch and a half then you will find a Sankey-shaped hole in your bonnet or whatever - vibration of ships at sea will cause all sorts of damage if anything touches. I once saw a tyre laid on the floor in the back of a new Discovery that had worn right into the carpet just with the vibration of the ship for a month.

Where have I read in the last month...Ex military vehicles have to be "cleared" so to speak to leave these shores.....

This restriction may not apply to vehicles leaving from Spain, the Market isn't Common across all states, or so I'm led to believe. :-)

But as you asked the question ....

Thread with some .... comments - http://www.series2club.info/forum/index.php?topic=33786.0

Detailed onward links to source material, extracted from the above thread.

All the details are HERE, you want the OGEL menu tab over on the right hand side of the page.

You can also read the FBHVC newsletter no.1 2010

Good Luck

Hi I have just stripped my sankey MK3 trailer down to its core components (see my overland trailer build) so if you need any measurments let me know. the chassis completly striped is still very heavy I would say about 150kgs you would not do this so I would guess it would be close to 200kgs the axel and springs are around 100Kg wheels are heavy and the tub is about 100kgs it took me about 3 hours to strip the tub off but I did need to cut the final load ring off as the roll pin would not come out.....

The calipers are two bolts and the springs are the same, you would need to remove the axel check straps and the anti roll bar this took me about 2 hours, however I was taking everything off I found it eaiser to turn the trailer on it's side to remove the tub and then on its top to remove the axel.

If I was going to do this in your situation I would take the tub off at home and then ratchet strap it to the trailer and also remove the brakes drain the system and remove the anti roll bar, when you got to the port you could then lift the trailer on the rear legs and jockey wheel and drop the tub off and the axel out.

Regards, Jason.