Whats the likelyhood these are genuine?

Eightpot

before I go postal at a well known suppliers (not the usual one) - I ordered a set of gearbox gaskets last week, and paid five times the price for the ones listed as 'Genuine' rather than the four quid jobs marked 'replacement'

the parcel arrived today, and bless me if the set didn't have a Britpart label on it. There is no sign of any genuine parts label or reference number anywhere on the package. Some of the bolts holes on the gaskets look like they've been nibbled out by ants rather than the nice neat holes I'd expect from a genuine set. I know some of the Britpart gear is sometimes OEM, but it there any way of telling?

Agreed, Genuine - in a LR Box, OEM - in a box marked by a recognised manufacturer of that item for Land Rover.

As far as I am aware, Britpart never actually supplied Land rover, so cannot be described as OEM, and certainly no genuine....

Mark

Britpart do distribute OEM components sometimes, for example the lower swivel bearings for my Series III came in a Britpart box but were the proper Timken items. They were marked OEM on the box. Same goes for the swivel balls, I don't know who made those but they're nice quality from what I can tell. Again marked OEM on the box.

The point is it's down to who makes the part, more than who distributes it :)

I had the same thing with front springs, I ordered OEM but got Britpart. As said above, Britpart were not the OEM for TD5 front springs. On top of that the supplier lists Genuine, OEM, and Britpart (or BM or whatever) on their site, So ordering OEM you would not expect Britpart.

If they ever actually pick up the phone I'll give them the opportunity to refund me or send me the proper gear then, not in the mood for this kind of nonsense today, my ISP and web hosting provider has just used up the last of my goodwill.

In my experience, it is not uncommon for parts suppliers to provide you with, non branded 'cheap' copies even when you order genuine or OEM. If you phone them, they will often say either:

A. It is genuine/OEM in a different box, or

B. It is what we had in stock and we didn't want to let you down, or

c. It is as good as genuine/OEM

I have never been contacted to say - 'sorry no genuine/OEM parts in stock, but would you accept a cheaper part instead?'

In my experience, Parts suppliers will just send out what they've got and hope you don't squinny. If you do, some will still fob you off.

If the part isn't in genuine or branded make packaging, be very suspicious.

If the part isn't in genuine or branded make packaging AND it doesn't have a brand name on the part, it is likely to be a copy.

Regards,

Diff

You do get this "Britpart are sometimes OEM" thing, but it usually depends what fell off the back of the lorry that week - a load of NOS genuine bits, OEM stuff, or a containerload of Chinese monkey-metal copies that are similar grade to chocolate coins but less tasty. You can order a UJ one week and get GKN/HS, the next week something that can barely stand up to gravity.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying knowingly order Britpart and hope it's an OEM part, I'm saying order an OEM part and if it turns up in a Britpart box check it first before continuing. If it is in fact OEM then fair dos, if not then send it back and get the correct part.

As Retroanaconda says, OEM is not the same thing as Genuine parts. I stripped two starter motors last week, both Bosch, both bought new, within a few months of each other. One had the LR oval embossed in the casting.

The Gen. parts one had a different casting design, giving better sealing around the solenoid mounting, and used a fully sealed solenoid with a bonded rubber boot around the solenoid plunger. The OEM one didn't make much attempt to seal the solenoid mount, and had no seal on the solenoid plunger at all.

Oh, and the LR one had a busted gearbox too. :rolleyes:

Blimey Dave, I know the TGV eats gearboxes but that's taking it a bit far :lol: you'll be doing the wiper wheelboxes next :ph34r:

Funny you should mention that...

I think I know why the starter was jammed though. This is the carrier for the planetary gears :

post-3815-12688673607_thumb.jpg