Gauging interest for fibreglass RRC panels

jamesvfr

Hi all

Im currently expanding my workshop, once finished i will have the space to produce some fibreglass + carbon fibre panels etc

I know the carbon bits are not realy of interest to off roaders but im just trying to get a feel for whether it would be worth producing fibreglass wings + bonnets for rangies?

They would be sensibly + affordably priced but i cannot give exactly at the mo

If people could reply whether its something they would be interested in id greatly appreciated it

Many thanks

James

MM4x4 do fibreglass bonnets, lower tailgates, outer front wings and rear corner panels for RRC.

THe bonnets and tailgates are pricey so I reckon if you can produce a qulaity product at a better price then go for it!

replacement tailgates might be good simply because of how they rott. Not sure bonnetc etc would be as anyone into serious racing tends to go the spacefrome route anyway.

True, but if I was doing up a classic I'd seriously consider a fibreglass bonnet (and other panels) - not for weight, just to get rid of another common rust point. I'd definitely go with a fibreglass lower tailgate if the quality was acceptable.

• 2 weeks later...

mm 4x4 don't do the pannels anymore!

yes i would be intrested in a carbon bonnet

and glassfibre wings front rear lamp housings and tailgate or a glassfibre bonet too mm did 2 types one for racing and a heavy duty version for normal bonnet catch

I know the carbon bits are not realy of interest to off roaders

There is a chap not a million miles from you with a full carbon fibre shell on his racer

jdlf2008078.jpg

Racers are becoming much more weight concious now, especially as many of the events are more like rallys. I guess the difficulty is they are only limited numbers of each type of racer, making most of it one off work.

Yep. I'd definately be interested in a rust free bonnet and lower tailgate!!

GRP would make sense, and I'd pay a reasonable price for them.

Either that or rust free steel bonnet and lower tailgate in ardennes green.....but we we all know how scarce they are!

I hope your project goes ahead. :)

have spoken to a man at the weekend who is a boat builder and is willing to make some moulds for me and as i have a good tailgate and other pannels he is going to have a go so if you decide against it i mite have a source for you

have spoken to a man at the weekend who is a boat builder and is willing to make some moulds for me and as i have a good tailgate and other pannels he is going to have a go so if you decide against it i mite have a source for you

As James has not replied to any of the posts we have done then seems you have the edge already........ ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

sorry for no reply ive been away for a while

As James has not replied to any of the posts we have done then seems you have the edge already........ ;)

Ive just found out im having to move so unfortunately wont be able to give any definate dates etc on when id be able to get this off the ground as ill not have to find a cheapish unit to work from so if you can get someone to do then great because i wouldnt would people to be waiting needing panels with no timescale

When these are going ahead i will organise group buys etc though but like i say, no idea on when at the moment

James

• 3 weeks later...

it is the lower one not the top one sorry if that has caused any confusion

Although I don't need one myself I wish you well with this. Wonder why M&M stopped making them though, lack of demand (unlikely) or cost?

Not sure about a fibreglass bonnet as I've experienced the underbonnet insulation catching fire (smouldering in any case).

A decent tailgate is very hard to find though and on my off-roader I wouldn't be bothered about the eggshell finish of GRP panels.

However when I wanted some rear corners, I couldn't find any so we had to reclaim some steel ones.

is it the whole wing or the rear lamp clusters?

Hi James,

I mean 2-door rearwings LH and RH. I ordered some at buckley brothers 1 1/2 year ago. After a phonecall they told me that they are not available anymore, but they are still on theire website.

If you can deliver rear lamp clusters (also LH and RH) I'll also be interested depending on the price.

Kind regards,

Peejee

• 1 month later...