Moving a TD5 fuel filter

A good customer has asked me to come up with a nice kit to relocate the TD5 fuel filter from the dumb-ass place in the rear wheelarch to the engine bay....

Now I know some people have moved their filters / tanks and I also know some are having problems with splitting pipes and leaking joins etc.

The nice way would be to make up whole new hoses but they have those crappy puch-clip unions rather than a proper thread which makes this harder. So the question is:

How did you move yours and did it work properly and have you got any pics?????

David

could the fuel pipes for a 300tdi 110 be used ?

thinking that as a 300tdi's fuel filter is at the right front of the engine bay, it has chassis length fuel pipes from the tank unit to the filter, with threaded couplings IIRC, so should be a reasonable starting point.

could the fuel pipes for a 300tdi 110 be used ?

thinking that as a 300tdi's fuel filter is at the right front of the engine bay, it has chassis length fuel pipes from the tank unit to the filter, with threaded couplings IIRC, so should be a reasonable starting point.

The problem lies with the in-tank pump and the low / high pressure of the filter / feed pipes.....

I could do the job very neatly and easilt with all new hoses and remote filter etc. but at stupid expense ( hundreds of £'s ! )

Otherwise it is going to be messy needing 3 hoses + 1 return pipe going all the way to the front and back. The other option is to bypass the filter at the rear and use a very high pressure filter at the front but this is part of the silly expense,

I just wondered whether the people who haave moved their tank have left the filter next to it or what they have done to shorten / extend any of the plastic hoses....

David

Just out of interest - why does it need 3 hoses to the front and 1 return?

The in-tank fuel pump is 2 stage. It pumps out of the tank at low pressure, to the filter, back to the fuel pump and then out at high pressure to the regulator on the engine block.

High pressure is in the region of 54psi. Fuel travels from the tank into the low pressure part of the pump, through the filter, back to the pump for the high pressure stage, then into the block via a pressure regulator. Then excess fuel leaves the block via a fuel cooler and returns to the filter and ultimately back to the tank.

Sounds like you might have to have a seperate filter and single-stage high pressure pump in the engine compartment, and change the in-tank pump for a single-stage low pressure jobbie. I can see where the expense comes in!

when i converted my comp truck to td5 i retained the normal underslung tank and fitted the pump to that.

which left me with how to make new pipes due to the old ones being made from nylon.

so i just used some 5/16th rubber fuel line from work, cut the fittings off the old pipes and then pushed the new hose on and jubilee clipped them down.

had no problems what so ever.

i dont see any reason why you cant do that to any td5 and move the filter into the engine bay.

i kept mine by the tank as i would think pumping it up to the engine bay then back down at low pressure would drop the flow abit, but i dont no :blink:

dan

I'd suggest that the cheapest solution would probably be to have the 3x pipes going to/from the engine bay. If it's only low pressure then ferrules+jubilee clips would be fine. By the sounds of it, the high pressure line is already in place, so really it's only two pipes you'd be extending.

The 'ultimate' solution though I think would be to replace with separate low/high pressure pumps - obviously much more costly.

I'm coming round to a new plan that compromises the casts of doing it properly with at least being a job you could sell without too many fears....

Simply miss out the filter at the rear and hjoin the low pressure pump out / pump in pipes together. Then use a single high pressure filter in the engine bay. Simple to install, far fewer pipes hoing backwards and forwards and only a few connectors at £3 each and a filter for £60 with replaceable elements at £ 4 each.

Downside is that it loses the original folter and its ready availability and means the high pressure side of the pump is only protected by a gauze in the tank rather than a proper fuel filter.....

David

..... the high pressure side of the pump is only protected by a gauze in the tank rather than a proper fuel filter.....

David

I think that will be the downfall of this idea.

With a genuine pump costing £300 from Land Rover I'd want it to be given every chance of surviving - removing the filter before the high pressure stage won't help pump longevity IMHO....

Is your customer wanting to move the filter because he does not like it being in the wheelarch - or because it's in the way of something else?

Si

A bit of both I think... it does get in the way of suspension bits but he reckons it is very vunerable there and would like it in the engine bay with all the rest of the 'engine stuff'....

david

I've heard this a lot, but mostly from folk who don't off-road them...

Yes, it looks like it's in a poor position and yes, it does get covered in crud all of the time, but I've not actually had any problems with mine. Unless it's fouling on suspension or larger tyres etc I wouldn't botehr with the hassle and expense.

Moving it up to the engine bay might sound well and good, but I reckon it's as close to the tank as possible for a reason...

I am currently driving a Skoda Octavia (temp work car whilst waiting for freelander) the fuel filter is in the engine bay on that but looks very simlar to the LR one, may be worth a look to see if you could use some bits from that?

Jason.

someone should sell a guard :rolleyes:

It's actually fitted with a guard as standard! Quite well designed in my opinion.

It was more that if he wants to move it in order to fit longer shock mounts - I'll have a solution fairly soon which does not mean moving it.

Si