One touch electric windows

After having a 2006 TD5 on loan while my 1988 110 was being repaired, I got used to electric windows and central locking. I would be interested how people have done the retrofit.

That Td5 has turned you soft, :P

nothing wrong with wind it up yourself windows, lazy boy

Has anyone retro fitted one touch electric windows to their defender if so how did you fit it ???? cheers chris

I'd like to do the same on my 110 hardtop, sometimes the passanger window gets steamed up in wet weather making that wing mirror usless and its impossable to lean across the cubby box to wipe it while driving.

I'd like to do the same on my 110 hardtop, sometimes the passanger window gets steamed up in wet weather making that wing mirror usless and its impossable to lean across the cubby box to wipe it while driving.

You haven't developed the proper technique.

Wait for traffic to stop.

Seatbelt off, clamber/lean awkwardly across the cubby box to reach the winder.

Realise truck is still in gear as it lurches forward towards stationary traffic.

Clamber back into the drivers seat, press clutch, stop. Select neutral, handbrake on.

Reclamber half across cubby box and open window with fingertips just reaching winder; a 1/2 turn at a time, with your face on the passenger seat.

Wonder what all the beeping is.

Struggle back into the drivers seat to realise traffic ahead moved off 30 seconds ago.

Select 1st and drive off with the handbrake still applied.

Freeze all the way home because there's nowhere to stop and close the window again.

You haven't developed the proper technique.

Wait for traffic to stop.

Seatbelt off, clamber/lean awkwardly across the cubby box to reach the winder.

Realise truck is still in gear as it lurches forward towards stationary traffic.

Clamber back into the drivers seat, press clutch, stop. Select neutral, handbrake on.

Reclamber half across cubby box and open window with fingertips just reaching winder; a 1/2 turn at a time, with your face on the passenger seat.

Wonder what all the beeping is.

Struggle back into the drivers seat to realise traffic ahead moved off 30 seconds ago.

Select 1st and drive off with the handbrake still applied.

Freeze all the way home because there's nowhere to stop and close the window again.

:D Exactly the technique I'm getting tired of.

for the locking, i'd look at fitting a standalone kit from the likes of rclick.co.uk rather than retrofit the TD5 gubbins,

The TD5's have electric windows without 1 touch, which would likely be pretty easy to retrofit, as its bascically just two wires to the motor and a switch that does the appropriate change over. The one-touch system presumably requires some more electronics, not sure when it was introduced, but the wiring diagrams in my RAVE disk dont show it.

The bigger question is whether the doors have the appropriate mounting points to take the TD5 window motors.

Im retrofitting the internals from a td5 into the early style doors with lift up handles. The easiest/cheapest way to retrofit e/w and c/l is to buy a set of doors with all the bits already in. Either swap the doors completely or swap the internals from one to the other. Then sell the doors you dont need. If you loose €50 - €100 quid buying and selling doors its still a lot cheaper than messing with after market kit

• 11 years later...
6 hours ago, Wout van Schaik said:

I have made a module that makes it possible to convert defender electric windows into one-touch windows. works well on mine

Please share what you did!