What else will I need

I'm going to replace my worn out shock absorbers and springs shortly. It will be with standard springs and shocks (no lift or anything else) and apart from the new one's what else am I likely to need to do the job? In other words what else is going to break when I take the old (15+years) one's off.

Ta.

Malcolm

Firstly I'd start by spraying everything with plusgas or WD40 a day or 2 before you start.

The turret rings will almost certainly snap :rolleyes:

The spring retaining plates can be a bit of a pain, as can retaining the shock while you undo the lower nut. A pair of stilsons are handy. I assume the shocks have all the required bushes?

You will probably get away without needing spring compressors.

I was a plusgas virgin until Tuesday... very immpresive stuff.

When I did mine I replaced the rear upper shock mounts too, they where pretty corroded when the new shock bush slid on them, there was a fair ammount of play, which would have only got worse.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Nothing worse than having the landy up on axle stands with all the big bits off when something stupid snaps - and the shops are shut!

I can now get most of the bits suggested first and hopefully avoid the neighbours thinking I've started a breakers yard!

Malcolm

Nothing worse than having the landy up on axle stands with all the big bits off when something stupid snaps - and the shops are shut!

That's why a Land Rover should always be the first car of 2.

• 5 weeks later...

Just got round to doing the rear springs and shocks. Thanks for the advice, I got Gwyn Lewis spring seats, retainer plates and front turrets. They are all galvanised and certainly ought to last longer than the crumbly bits I took off.

The biggest problem was undoing the nuts at the base of the shocks and the spring retainers :angry: - I ended up cutting them off but you have to be careful as the brake pipes are pretty close. I also replaced the top (dished) washers on the shock mounts as the old one's were badly corroded.

The job went fairly straightforward and am ready to tackle the front.

:rolleyes:

Malcolm