Oil Sump blow out

So, travelling down the M4, I hear a rattle and decide to slow down so I can get to the next services and check it out. 5 mins later I get a bang, lose power and lots of smoke comes out the back of the 90 and into the cab!

I look under and see that the oil sump has blown out. Anyone heard of this before and what are the likely causes?

I'm hoping that it's not something major that will require a rebuild or new engine!

Chris

So, is this going to need a full rebuild or replacement engine. If it is a rebuild what are the likely costs for a rebuild, either DIY or main stealers? Replacement, well i know the costs of that, having only just done it about 2 months ago!!

Thanks in advance and for the help already

Chris

So, is this going to need a full rebuild or replacement engine. If it is a rebuild what are the likely costs for a rebuild, either DIY or main stealers? Replacement, well i know the costs of that, having only just done it about 2 months ago!!

Thanks in advance and for the help already

Chris

Can't tell without getting the bottom off, finding all the bits, and seeing what else is bent / broken first.

Need photos! More input!

Well, it's currently at a main stealers (lancasters thatcham) awaiting them to have a look which will be sometime next week. Just wanted to know a rough price to see if it was worthwhile getting something else lined up!

Will let you know what they say when they tell me!

Chris

Well, it's currently at a main stealers (lancasters thatcham) awaiting them to have a look which will be sometime next week. Just wanted to know a rough price to see if it was worthwhile getting something else lined up!Will let you know what they say when they tell me!Chris

Main Stealer's= another mortgage surely?

I'd get it away from there & back home & DIY to find out what broke, otherwise it's going to cost you loads, just for them to strip the engine for a look, on a 200TDi the engine must be removed to remove the pistons/conrods, as the sump ladder frame prevents/restricts access.

Earlier you wrote

Replacement, well I know the costs of that, having only just done it about 2 months ago!!
Did you pay someone else to replace the engine, and did they supply it?

Or did you locate, buy, and install the engine yourself?

If you bought the engine, was it sold as used or reconditioned?

On seeing the picture, a big end coming loose was also my initial assessment.

Other damage depends on whether whatever forced it through the sump took some impact damage, also how many metal shavings have been circulated via the oil system. For instance, a shell bearing could have been well chewed up in that 5 minutes, with the shavings passing through the strainer and pump to the camshaft etc.

If bits have gone round the oil system I would NOT rely on being able to wash out any oil cooler you may have. Add a new replacement to the list of costs.

Budget on another replacement engine, then anything else will seem cheap.

Sorry.

By the looks of the sump you are potentially looking at a fair amount of expenditure to put right so I would get it away from the main dealer pretty sharpish as they will undoubtedly charge you huge amounts of money to just to investigate. If you don't want to tackle the work yourself this is more an independent garage sort of job.

Earlier you wrote Did you pay someone else to replace the engine, and did they supply it?

Or did you locate, buy, and install the engine yourself?

If you bought the engine, was it sold as used or reconditioned?

I purchased the engine of eBay it was sold as a used reconditioned engine....so i will be looking for a new engine, at least i have all the other ancilleries to fit the new engine in with!!!

Chris

MOG and Western,

Unfortunatley i can't get it from them now and as they are shut and i am away in Chatham during the week i won't be able to do anything at all until next weekend!! Pain in the rear!!!

I was also on the way to pick up my new wheels and tyres as well today!

Got some investigating to do to get a new engine then, and scrap the other one after maybe taking a few things off...like the alternator and starter. will have to look for a new disco that is being broken!

Thanks once again.

Chris

Update from the dealer, there is Crankcase damage. So it's a new engine it seems.

However on a plus side, they haven't charged me for the work at looking and assessing the engine. But it's 90 quid all in to be delivered back to the house!

So now i will be looking for a new engine, i suppose i will go down the route getting a recon engine this time, with the warrenty and all that!

When the engine is out i will get some more pictures of it

Anyone know a good place to hire an engine hoist from?

Chris

As you've already done the hard work of putting a Disco engine in a 90, why not just get another crusty Disco for £300, pull the engine and drop it in. Weighing the rest of the disco in will make most of your money back = free engine.

Oh, and just buy an engine hoist, and sell it on when finished with it, then you have no pressure of time, picking it up etc. I am sure someone on here would be happy to take it off your hands :)

I bauhgt a hoist from ebay for about £120, its been well worth it as its already changed an engine in the old A4, helped drag the new chassis into the garage, pulled the V8 out of the old disco, and put the V8 into and out of the 90 numerous times without any problems.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-TONNE-HYDRAULIC-ENGINE-CRANE-HOIST-LIFT-NEW-/120598797465?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item1c143f9c99

It was something along those lines, theres quite a few similar things on there.

As you've already done the hard work of putting a Disco engine in a 90, why not just get another crusty Disco for £300, pull the engine and drop it in. Weighing the rest of the disco in will make most of your money back = free engine.

Oh, and just buy an engine hoist, and sell it on when finished with it, then you have no pressure of time, picking it up etc. I am sure someone on here would be happy to take it off your hands :)

Bowie,

I'm thinking down that line, however i don't want to have another blown engine, and be out of pocket...i don't seem to have much luck with engines on the landy.. so if i get a recon with the warrenty, i'll have some coverage

Chris

As has been said a complete 200Tdi Disco is worth peanuts... buy the whole vehicle so you can see the engine running (get an adult to check it over for you if you are worried). Fit engine to your truck and sell the rest/ keep the ancillaries from your existing engine including the head etc etc as spares.